Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Master Story Teller & Fabricator
17,652 Posts
Ebay has factory service manuals.

These cars are all about the body. Parts are fairly cheap, but fixing the unibodies is a PIA and there are no new replacement panels available. We strongly suggest that contain your anxiousness to start driving it as soon as possible and take the time to fix the body, which could take as long as a year. '69's are rare, so it's worth it to fix up this one. Rusted out floorboards and rocker panels are what usually send these cars to the crusher, so try to fix the inevitable rust you will find there. Try to do the best job you can fixing the body, it's the entire value of the car, worry about the mechanical stuff and fancy wheels later. Once you have a decent body, then it will be a pleasure instead of a pain to get it all working. Be patient and go through the proper body stabilization process and you will be proud of the awesome car you restored. :)

17,652 Posts
FYI: Back in the 90's I painted a GT with 24 cans of rattle can yellow Rustoleum. 3 coats total over the whole exterior. 6 months later it started turning to dust. No amount of waxing would stop the paint from oxidizing to dust. Had to have Maaco repaint it. Now, granted, it was old school, low tech, 90's Rustoleum. Modern paints are much better. Maaco adds a hardener and a sunscreen to the paint, I don't know if this is common in other body shop paint jobs.

Clear coat can be very beneficial. Eastwood makes a clear coat called "Diamond Clear" that is very good and a number of us use it. I've never used it on the body, but I use it to seal my painted engines and the various hardware under the car, like the suspension and drivetrain.

17,652 Posts
For a first car that you found in a rotten shed and which probably has rust issues that you haven't discovered yet, a quick fix is fine. You're a young guy and you want to have fun, not spend every weekend for a year in a garage working on a stupid car. My first 2 GT's were $100 rust buckets. When you're young you're going to make mistakes behind the wheel and ding up or wreck your first car(s). Better that you wreck one that you didn't put too much time and money into. The most important thing with these cars is to keep them in a garage as much as you can if you live in a moist part of the country. They don't like rain and morning dew and will rust like crazy if exposed regularly to that sort of stuff.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts