Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
1,026 Posts
Congrats! What an exciting day for you!

Time to start cleaning and note taking. You're going to have a million "Oh I'll remember that..." but trust me, you won't, so start writing it all down. You'll have so many notes on so many different sections of the car and what you've discovered and what you might do with them.

Take detailed pictures of anything before you take it apart, even the manual is often not enough to show you exactly how to take something apart. Seeing it in a photo from multiple angles will be quite helpful.

· Registered
1,026 Posts
One day I will do a correct restoration on it when I have the time and money, but now I just want to get it running and driving.
I think that's the right spirit of it.

Nothing is as encouraging and motivating as a car that you can actually drive. Any project that's sitting and waiting for its perfect restoration, isn't bringing you joy.

Everything you love about it, you will love.
Everything you hate about it, you will be motivated to change.

It's very easy once you start taking it apart, for a "quick" project to turn into a 10 year project that you don't even care about anymore. I'd say that's 90% of people's car projects (and projects in general). You're seeing a survivorship bias of people who've stuck with it.

Making it nice is something that takes time to figure it all out, source and shop, and just to make decisions. Might as well have an uglier car you're driving around during that whole time. Plus, it's hard to figure out what you want to do to your car if you're not driving it. The things you'll want to prioritize will remind you about themselves every day.

· Registered
1,026 Posts
Here is part 2 of the GT.
When you speed up the time, look for an option called "Maintain Audio Pitch" or something like that. In Adobe Premiere it's right there with the speed/duration effect.

What it does is counteract the increased pitch caused by compressing the audio into a shorter time, by spreading it out again. That means you'll have faster video, without being narrated by chipmonks. 200% is easy for the brain to understand to a native English speaker, 300% is pushing it unless they have a deep voice or speak slower than average. Faster than that, at least the sounds won't sound funny, but the narration will still be incomprehensible.

Alternatively, you could not talk during the filming, and record a voice-over afterwards, but then this is a bit of extra work to combined files, synch up, etc.

· Registered
1,026 Posts
Well, congrats on the engine surviving. Can't argue with only putting into 2 minutes to the ticker.

Your rockers look perhaps expectedly terrible though. Almost nothing holding the car together. Guess you'll be learning to weld.

Makes me wonder how bad your fender pockets ahead and behind each wheel are as well.

· Registered
1,026 Posts
have you any other words of encouragement? just sayin
I don't think the expectation was to retrieve a perfect car. And, I don't think pointing out that the rockers need replacing is demoralizing, or being pessimistic about something that's probably fine. They'll need replacing, no point in sugarcoating it. Or would you have some other assessment of the expectations regarding them? The engine running so quickly was great news, I pointed that out.

· Registered
1,026 Posts
I love the bondo hailstorm when you drive it down the road.

Rockers are in worse shape than I'd earlier thought, they're clear missing their entire bottom halves. Half inch of bondo slathered onto everything.

It's time you start learning to weld.

Good news is that this one is a good practice car and your uncle's other one can be the one you spend the time and effort to make nicer.

Your car is probably in worse shape than most others that people have put effort into fixing, and it looks like you're having more fun doing it than anyone else. I like hearing your progress because it makes the stuff I have to do - that I lament and whine about doing - seem less daunting. Your car is in worse shape, you probably have fewer tools and less experience and you're young and less strong and you're still positive about all of it. Means I shouldn't complain so much about my restoration.

· Registered
1,026 Posts
Really, when you think about it, probably 80%-90% of car projects get abandoned, so, the "Work in Progress" award should actually be the most prestigious of all awards, as the competition is surely tougher than 5-10x everything else at the show combined.

Congrats on the award and your (actual) continued progress, proving it's not just going to sit until "someday".

1 - 11 of 11 Posts