181 - 187 of 187 Posts

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Reactions: Young Gt Lover

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Can I make sure that it runs good and drives good with no heat shield?
Sure, I use a phenolic spacer instead of all that on my GT. Just be sure that you have a solid thick insulated gasket that seals well to prevent heat transfer from the intake manifold to the carburetor.

I prefer not using sealants to fill in gaps because they’re messy & the ethanol (alcohol) in our California gas dilutes them. If you notice 99.9% of them recommended cleaning up excess amounts with alcohol. I just spray a thin layer of copper spray on each side being sure that both surfaces are flat & have at it.

If you have pure gasoline at the pumps you have nothing to worry about, there are many gasoline resistant sealants to choose from. That’s just been my experience. There seems to be as many different experiences on this matter as there are members on the forum. These cars are very sensitive to vacuum leaks.

I like using these conical lock nuts with a flat washer. They don’t back off but they’re serviceable for the next time you need to remove the carburetor.

·
Registered
1969 Opel Gt 1.9 Automatic
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #183 ·
I worked on the opel saturday!

I got the weber installed! We first tried to start the car with the solex and it wouldn't start so had had to spray gas in it to start it. Then we took the solex out and we made a custom gasket. We used the original one betwwen the solex and intake and we used the other gasket the is inbetween two parts on the solex. I made the gaskets larger by grinding them with an air tool to match the eber bottom. Then I grinded the intake manifold or ported it so it was smooth and maybe get a few more horse power.
Automotive tire Rim Automotive wheel system Gas Motor vehicle
Tire Automotive tire Rim Tread Gas

Then I cut the throttle linkage half an inch and my grndpa found a sleeve for it. Then I learned how to brass! I brassed one half and my grandpa did the other half. I also had to make a custom part the bolts to the weber and is connected by the thing that sticks out on the throttle linkage( i don't know what that is called). Then I had to find a 4 more washers so the carb would be tight on the intake because the gaskets were not big enough. So I now have a total of 8 washers. I then started up the car and my grandpa got the carb adjusted good. Then we drove the opel to my grandpa's friends house to show him how well the opel ran. The tires were so square and it was a bumpy ride! We knew the opel had a tiny misfire and we asked him and he didn't know what to do about it. We drove home and my grandpa sid the brakes arent that great. But the auto trans shifts awsome and it isn't leaking any more probably because the seals and wet and they are actually working! The total distance driven was about 4 miles. When I was driving it I noticed it had a lot more power! It reved better and higher than ever and it didn't bog once! Then the next day in 50 degree weather we did a cold start and it started on the 2 crank! I definently should have done this swap earlier! It runs so good.

Also here is a vintage roadmaster radio we will put in the gt coming up. It even comes with speakers!
Shoe Photograph Light Textile Morning
Motor vehicle Office equipment Gas Wood Handwriting

here is the gt with it's carb!
Car Tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Wheel

Also here is the taillights that opelbits sold to me (the ones on the left)
Automotive parking light Car Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle

Thanks Sam

Ps: youtube videos coming soon!

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #184 ·
I got another part in the mail yesterday! Thanks so much to Soybean for giving me this header. I will install it sometime. My grandpa and I want to do a 2 inch exhaust. We don’t know what to do about mufflers. What muffler do you guys think we should get? I was think a vibrant flat black muffler with a glass pack for a resonator. My grandpa has like 2 glass packs laying around. We were also think about going to one of the local junkyards and finding a muffler from a car for cheap.
Let me know what you guys have and if you guys have a YouTube video definitely post it.

Thanks Sam
Here is a vibrant muffler.
Rectangle Cylinder Auto part Font Plastic
Automotive exhaust Musical instrument Nickel Metal Auto part
Bicycle part Nickel Composite material Auto part Metal
Road surface Asphalt Grey Font Composite material
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Light

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #186 ·
I got new parts in the mail yesterday. I ordered 2 dc sports 1011b resonated exhaust tips. They are a little bigger than what I thought they would be but I think they will work. Now I am just waiting on the header gasket and hopefully this weekend I will put exhaust on the Opel.

Sam
Grey Wood Automotive tire Electric blue Flooring
Synthetic rubber Grey Road surface Flooring Cone
Automotive tire Grey Synthetic rubber Audio equipment Rim
Grey Automotive tire Audio equipment Synthetic rubber Personal protective equipment
Automotive tire Camera lens Auto part Lens Carbon
Font Electric blue Logo Brand Carmine

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #187 ·
I worked on the Opel again this weekend. I had fall break from Friday to Monday. All day Friday I worked on my 1978 Polaris Cobra 440 snowmobile and I got it running amazing and got the brakes working. Saturday morning I worked on it some more. Then after lunch on Saturday. MY grandpa and I broke off every bolt that connects the manifold to the head pipe. Then I took the rubber hangers for the tail pipes off. Then my grandpa got out his grinder ad grinded behind the muffler since the muffler was welded on. The muffler is a Crand exhaust systems 403. Then that night I too off the manifold and intake and my grandpa said that was one of the easiest because the bolts came right out and didn’t break. Then we took the manifolds out and they are heavy! I am definitely saving some weight going with this header.

Some time we might thanks the old tailpipe section that goes over the axle to a exhaust shop and hopefully get a custom 2 inch one made. I don’t know if we will get the exhaust done this year it may have to wait till next year since it is getting cold out.

Thanks Sam

181 - 187 of 187 Posts