Opel GT Forum banner
201 - 220 of 237 Posts

·
Registered
The Young One
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #201 ·
I worked On the opel yesterday!

So the other day my grandpa put the opel in the nice barn with his other cars so the opel is now with some sportscars.
Building Tire Automotive design Automotive tire Comfort

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive lighting

We got some 2 inch exhaust pipe to go over the rear axle. It was already bent since it was off a john deere combine and it fit very nice!
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Car Vehicle

Then we got the resonater(or gasspack) that was on my grandpa's spitfire and we drilled two holes on the side of it for the dual exhaust. Then I welded those pipes all the way. My welds weren't that great because my grandpa neded to trun the heat up on the welder. Then I welded two bolts to the pipes.
Wood Bumper Automotive exterior Flooring Automotive tire
Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Car
Automotive tire Wood Safety glove Bumper Python

Then we drilled two holes in the resonator bracket so we can bolt the resonator to the bracket so it will be very easy to take on and off. Then we drilled a third hole in the glasspack for the pipe that goes over the axle, We also capped the glasspack off at both sides. Then we put it all together and started it up, and realized we ran out of gas. Then it started smoking very bad because we forgot to hook up the choke wire. We put some more trans fluid in it and I drove it around.I even got to drive in the field!!

The exhaust is a lot quieter but it has the same ton as just the glasspack. When I was driving it wide open in the field At like 5,000-6,000rpm it gets so loud and sounds like a mix between a rally car and a sportbike. It also is very fast too.I was not expecting it to hit 50 mph so fast! I kind of freaked out my grandma because she Was scared I was going to crash since I was going so fast. Then I did some drifts around a turn and that was so much fun. Now I know why opels are so much fun to drive!!

I had this all on my gopro so youtube videos are coming soon. You guys just would't believe how good it sounds!

Thanks Sam

·
Registered
The Young One
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #204 ·
I got some parts in the mail today! Thank you so much krewzer! I got a weber 40 DCOE, Intake manifold, big valve head with pontiac springs and 1.85 in for the intake and 1.5 for the exhaust. It also has hardened seats. I also got 2 rear bumpers and bumperettes, a blitz emblem, a ashtray, a heat shield, a plastic shroud for a 4 speed, and a few bolts and hardware. Here are some pictures.
Tool Bumper Kitchen utensil Hand tool Metal

Automotive tire Grey Road surface Asphalt Font

Bumper Audio equipment Gas Electronic device Auto part

Audio equipment Automotive exhaust Gas Auto part Metal

Bumper Musical instrument accessory Tool Gas Automotive exterior

Musical instrument Gas Auto part Audio equipment Electronic instrument

Musical instrument accessory Electronic instrument Audio equipment Gas Electronic device

Automotive engine gasket Audio equipment Gas Auto part Circle

Bumper Gas Font Automotive exterior Cable
Bumper Gas Flooring Automotive tire Wire

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
I got some parts in the mail today! Thank you so much krewzer! I got a weber 40 DCOE, Intake manifold, big valve head with pontiac springs and 1.85 in for the intake and 1.5 for the exhaust. It also has hardened seats. I also got 2 rear bumpers and bumperettes, a blitz emblem, a ashtray, a heat shield, a plastic shroud for a 4 speed, and a few bolts and hardware. Here are some pictures.
View attachment 440294
View attachment 440293
View attachment 440290
View attachment 440291
View attachment 440295
View attachment 440289
View attachment 440287
View attachment 440288
View attachment 440292 View attachment 440296
Nice! Congrats

Are you sure they are 1.85" valves and not 1.72 ? The reason I ask is the intake valves look kinda small .

Reactions: Young Gt Lover

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
View attachment 440294
View attachment 440293
View attachment 440290
View attachment 440291
View attachment 440295
View attachment 440289
View attachment 440287
View attachment 440288
View attachment 440292 View attachment 440296
Santa came early this year 🎁😍

·
Über Genius
9,725 Posts
It's good to be a youngster. People give you stuff for free,
Wait til you're in your 50's. The last free thing I got (besides covid shots) was a colonoscopy.

·
Registered
The Young One
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #210 ·
I got a new part in the mail today! Thanks you to The Cub for this part! It is an adapter for a weber to the original air cleaner set up. My grandpa and I are going to use this and use part of the original air cleaner and run a pipe to a spectra air filter(like a k and n but cheaper). It is already cut down and hopefully it should fit. Hopefully it warms up one of these weekends so my grandpa and I can work on the GT.

Audio equipment Gas Kettlebell Auto part Nickel

Gas Automotive tire Jewellery Auto part Rim

Tool Bicycle part Gas Bumper Automotive exterior

·
Registered
The Young One
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #211 ·
Ok guys I kind of forgot about this but: Last Monday was the one year anniversary of rescuing the Opel GT. How I remember this, is because we did it on my dad’s birthday. He greatly enjoyed taking it out. Lol.

Also Friday is the start of spring break so I will be working on the GT. My grandpa and I are planning to tune up the GT: we have new spark plug wires, points stuff like that. I need to finish welding up the exhaust. I also have rear bumpers, rust repair, and a bunch of other stuff. So stay tuned! Also Opel GT videos will finally be coming soon!

·
Opeler
733 Posts
Keep up the good work! The site needs more young fellas like yourself. I'm only 33 and its nice to see the younger generation getting their hands dirty. Plus, your having a great time doing it!!

-David

·
Registered
The Young One
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #213 ·
It is a lot of fun and I greatly enjoy doing it. I am hoping to have a restoration shop when I am older or just work in one.

·
Registered
The Young One
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #214 ·
Ok Guys I worked ON the GT on tuesday and wednesday. We got a little bit done. On Tuesday I installed points and the fanciest spark plug wires we could get on rock auto. They both looked great and were pretty cheap. First I installed the points. My grandpa said that it could take a day to gap the points correctly. Well it took me maybe 7 minutes. Then I put the new spark plug wires on and they look and fit great! They also gave me 2 choices for the coil rire a long one or short one, that was nice. Then my grandpa and I adjusted the choke. Then we started up the Opel and it started on the first crank! That weber carb and the tune up helped so much! The electric fuelpump was still working so that is awsome too after sitting all winter. Then we adjusted the carb a bit more. Then my grandpa hooked up the vacum gauge and we got it to read about 19-19.5 psi!! That is really good. It runs just so good! Then we finished welding up the exhaust and putting one more clamp on it.
We had to modify the hood a little bit for the air cleaner.
Wood Hardwood Wood stain Tints and shades Door

Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Gas Auto part Automotive exterior

Car Automotive tire Grille Hood Vehicle
Motor vehicle Gas Electrical wiring Automotive exterior Cable

Then after lunch we installed the weber carb to original air cleaner adapter from The Cub. It fits great and my grandpa had some bolts laying around that worked for it. Then we hooked up a spectra air cleane and cut some tube and got it to work. We layed the hood on it and found out that we needed to trim the part that goes on top of the adapter. We trimed it and got it to fit but it still hits the hood. We think once we bolt the hood down it should work.

Then we took a mile drive to my grandpa's friends house to se what he is up too. The opel ran really good but it is a little loud hen accelerating ith the new exhaust. At about 50 mph it really quiets down but it still sounds amazing at the higher rpms. Behind his house but not on his property there were some 1920-30s trucks and a 1950s chevy car. Well turns out the pople that own it scrapped the trucks and were turning it into farm ground. When we got there, there was a ford model aa, a 1940s dodge and a 1930s international chassis(maybe a firetruck) annd a 1950 internation cab laying on it. There used to be a reo or 2, a dodge brothers truck, and the 1950-1954 chevy car. But they already scrapped those. At least the guys were trying to save some parts like the chevy hood and stuff like that. It was pretty sad to see. Than we looked at my grandpa'sfriend jaguar xj6 with a 350 chevy that he is building.
Cloud Sky Plant Natural environment Land lot
Automotive tire Sky Vehicle Motor vehicle Wood
Tire Wheel Vehicle Plant Cloud

The next day we tried to get the tachometer to work. We gave up on that and eventually we will take the dash and gauge cluster out of the car. Does anyone know what is the best way to fix the dash boards? Then I jb welded a opel wheel center to the oilcap and made a custom oil cap. then we took the rear bumpers off. Well it turns out do not try and take the nut inside of the car off that connects the bumperette to the body because it is welded to the car. I broke a swivel attachment trying to get it lose. Then we installed the rear bumper i got and the car looks great! Then we realized someone before broke the liscene plate light bolts off so we had to drill and tape some new threads. That took about all day doing that.
Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive design Vehicle Car

Attachments

·
Registered
The Young One
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #219 ·
So, what's your plans for your next year of Opel ownership?

Time sneaks by faster than you think.

Soon you'll even be legal to drive it!
I am hopeing to fix the rocker panel rust, front belly pan rust, 1 small rust hole in the floor pans, Get all the wiring figured out, Get a title and register it, sew up my drivers seat, stop the trans leak. And get my learners permit this summer!

My grandpa and grandma and I are planning to go to the springfield meet too! We will just trailer the GT.

201 - 220 of 237 Posts