Opel GT Forum banner
221 - 237 of 237 Posts

·
Registered
The Young One
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #222 ·
Got yourself a cheapo welder yet to practice on?
No but my grandpa has a welder and I have been welding some, like the exhaust on the opel. I also don’t have any room in my garage for one and the opel is at my grandpa’s house.

·
Registered
The Young One
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #223 ·
Just a small update but my grandpa ordered a 22mm master cylinder and a brake booster and they arrived. So hopefully in a few weeks we will be installing them!

·
Registered
The Young One
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #226 ·
Another small update on the Opel: So yesterday for Mother’s Day we went to see my Grandma and Grandpa. My Grandma had knee surgery last Monday so we went to see her. My grandpa and I got the opel out and we had to hook up a jump starter to it since the battery is old and it was out off the car. We finally got it started since the battery didn’t want to turn it over fast enough. Than it run perfect. My dad never heard the new exhaust we pit on so he liked it. Then my dad and I took it for a drive(he has never drove it). He liked it but he said the exhaust was a little loud at like 50mph. When we turned around he got on it a little and it sounds pretty good at high rpm. He doesn’t like the brakes so pretty soon once my grandma gets a little better my grandpa and I will be putting the master cylinder and brake booster on. When that is apart we are also going to fix the hood hinge, make a custom battery tray, fix the rust up front. And fix the headlights so they won’t jam any more. We also might work on the headlight wiring. Whoever did the wiring before us did not do it right and there are wires everywhere up front and there are some cut too.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
We also might work on the headlight wiring. Whoever did the wiring before us did not do it right and there are wires everywhere up front and there are some cut too.
I don't think (might) is the way to go, you're already there and the brake booster is out of the way!!
We ( WILL) correct the wiring while we're there is a solid safe bet to ensure no future use of a fire extinguisher because we didn't address the wiring ;)

·
Registered
The Young One
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #230 ·
Ok guys parts update! I got 2 front curved lens from autoholic! Thanks so much! They say opel gt source on them so I wonder how old they are. They are very nice and I can’t wait to put them on. Hopefully I can work on the opel soon since my grandma’s knee after her surgery is doing better,
Wood Amber Quill Metal Varnish

Automotive parking light Wood Automotive lighting Metal Fashion accessory

Wood Tree Twig Amber Plant

Furniture Wood Rectangle Amber Shelf

·
Über Genius
9,725 Posts
Looks like someone gave you a set of NEW lenses.
I don't know how long OGTS has been making these but it can't be that long, relatively speaking.
I'll second the gaskets. Even if you just seal it with silly cone, sealing the lenses is important.

Reactions: Young Gt Lover

·
Über Genius
9,725 Posts
Cold start procedure on an Opel GT with a carb.

Pump gas pedal 3 times (not two, not four). Crank for 4 seconds.
If it doesn't fire, pump pedal 3 more times (Not 2, not 4).
Crank two more seconds.
If it doesn't start, pump pedal 3 more times.
Crank 4 more seconds.
If it doesn't start, pump gas pedal 3 more times.
Crank 4 more seconds.
If you're not getting fire at this point, get out, pull the air cleaner, dribble some gas down the throat of the carb. (not a lot)
Crank the engine.
If no fire at this point, start swearing like a sailor.
Check the distributor cap for moisture.
Put it back on (very important).
Try cranking again.
If no fire, check to see if there's even gas in the tank.
Look down inside of the carb and cycle the accelerator to see if the accelerator pump is working.
If no gas squirting into the carb, dribble more gas down the throat of the carb.
If still no fire, swear a LOT more.
Pull the insulator off the #1 spark plug. Take an old spark plug and plug it into the insulator. Rest the housing against a piece of metal in the engine compartment and crank while looking for spark.
If no spark, swear a LOT more.
If spark exists, try pulling more gas down the throat of the carb.
Somewhere along the line, pull out a fire extinguisher.
If it catches on fire, use the fire extinguisher. Do NOT use a garden hose. It will work but... Just don't!
Crank the engine again.
If it still doesn't fire, go inside and watch TV for a half hour.
Go back out and try to fire the car WITHOUT pumping the pedal.
If it still doesn't fire, unplug the fuel line from the carb. See if it's wet.
If it's wet, and dribbles gas, put it back on. If it's dry. extend the hose by 4 feet and place the end in a coffee can (oh yeah, coffee cans went extinct) or a gas can or something that won't tip over and spill gas everywhere.
Crank the engine for 4 seconds.
If gas comes out the hose then reconnect it to the carb. If it doesn't, swear even more.
Go back inside and decide if you still want a muther luvvin opel GT or if you'd rather pop a squat on a fire ant hill.

221 - 237 of 237 Posts