Opel GT Forum banner

101 - 120 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
1969 Opel Gt 1.9 Automatic
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 ·
We ran a compression test before the engine was running and it was like 90. But that was probably with the rings not moving. It runs just fine so my grandpa thinks that the compression should be fine. So checking it is the least of our worries right now.

Also we think that we might have a vacuum leak in one of the transmission lines. It is shifting good but my grandpa either tired to blow or suck air out of it and it wasn't right he thought. So we are going to have to check that out.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
Well a little update on the Opel. So yesterday My family had a party at my aunt and uncles pond. My grandpa lives about 7 miles away. He usaully brings one of his cars:1966 MG Midget, or the 1933 American Austin, the other ones are being restored. So anyways my grandpa thought it would be fun to drive to Opel over. So he had a few problems. He said that he had to squirt a little gas in the carb and then it started. Then the brake pedal randomly got sucked down and wouldn't come up even if you tried to lift it with your foot. So he disconnected the brake booster vacuum line. Ok, well we don't need power brakes to drive it. Then he was backing it out of the barn and a bunch of smoke started to come from under the car. My grandpa looked and said there was oil dripping on the exhaust pipe. So he decided not to drive it. We had a oil leak when I was over there working on the GT but it wasn't that bad. We think it might be from the original fuel pump because there was oil leaking from that before. Sunday we are going to adjust the valves on the opel so it runs even better hopefully. We might take off the power brake booster to see if the valve in there is stuck or to see what is wrong with it. Does anyone know what is wrong with the booster and what the oil leak could be?

Thanks Sam

·
Registered
956 Posts
Well a little update on the Opel. So yesterday My family had a party at my aunt and uncles pond. My grandpa lives about 7 miles away. He usaully brings one of his cars:1966 MG Midget, or the 1933 American Austin, the other ones are being restored. So anyways my grandpa thought it would be fun to drive to Opel over. So he had a few problems. He said that he had to squirt a little gas in the carb and then it started. Then the brake pedal randomly got sucked down and wouldn't come up even if you tried to lift it with your foot. So he disconnected the brake booster vacuum line. Ok, well we don't need power brakes to drive it. Then he was backing it out of the barn and a bunch of smoke started to come from under the car. My grandpa looked and said there was oil dripping on the exhaust pipe. So he decided not to drive it. We had a oil leak when I was over there working on the GT but it wasn't that bad. We think it might be from the original fuel pump because there was oil leaking from that before. Sunday we are going to adjust the valves on the opel so it runs even better hopefully. We might take off the power brake booster to see if the valve in there is stuck or to see what is wrong with it. Does anyone know what is wrong with the booster and what the oil leak could be?

Thanks Sam
Have you taken any pictures of the oil leak area? The most common oil leak is above the timing chain cover. If it’s leaking on the exhaust manifold perhaps you’ll be lucky and it’s just the valve cover gasket. Keep an eye on the oil level. Clean it up and watch it when it runs you ought to see where it’s escaping from.
I hope I’m wrong about this since you seem to be having so much fun but the chances are you have aging gaskets, even on the best engine they begin to dry out and split apart after enough time goes by. If I were you I’d just go after the leak, fix it and put it back together. It’s a easy engine to work on and you’re learning a lot in the process. Just drive it around the neighborhood and keep it in mind, don’t go too far.

I’ve driven around without the brake booster too for a while, no big deal I just had to apply more pressure on the pedal but I got used to it, until I replaced the brake booster. All’s back to normal now.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·
We will have to see where that leak is. I hope it isn't something major.

Thanks Sam

·
Opeler
655 Posts
I recently had the same phenomenon with the brake booster happen on a restoration. Brake booster would get sucked to the floor and either stayed or slowly came back up. This is 100% a failure of the brake booster and it is not repairable, at least economically that is. You can get new reproduction boosters in stock or 9" upgrades direct from Opel GT Source for a lot less than trying to rebuild an old one.

I highly recommend just replacing the booster and master cylinder as a combo given the age. If you replace one now, you will regret the labor of having to replace the other part shortly afterwards. Trust me on that!

·
Can Opeler
3,474 Posts
^this

Also when you do replace it flip the headlights halfway up and remove the top cover on the driver side light. There are access holes in the headlight bucket to remove and install one of the nuts for the master cylinder/booster

Reactions: Young Gt Lover

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
I think we will drive it for a little bit without power brakes. But then we will probably get a new booster.

·
Detritus Maximus
2,838 Posts
If there was a bunch of smoke...first thing to check is the oil pressure sending unit. It is right behind the exhaust down pipe. When it leaks it comes out under pressure..potentially right onto the exhaust. I know this from experience.

The others are right about doing the booster and master cylinder together. If you already had a rebuilt master I'd say just get the booster rebuilt. It's about $150, probably, but GTSource has the pair for about $200. Obviously more than you'd like, but that is the nature of running old cars. Especially the ones you find in barns...

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 ·
Can you rebuild the booster? I havn't rebuilt the master yet but we might do that soon. I will have to check about that oil.

·
Detritus Maximus
2,838 Posts
Boosters can be rebuilt, but it's best for a booster rebuilder to do it. It's not easy or safe without the right equipment. I used a place called Vanco about 20 years ago. It was $125 or so then.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #111 ·
Here is the first drive with brakes video.

Sam

·
Registered
772 Posts
I love the bondo hailstorm when you drive it down the road.

Rockers are in worse shape than I'd earlier thought, they're clear missing their entire bottom halves. Half inch of bondo slathered onto everything.

It's time you start learning to weld.

Good news is that this one is a good practice car and your uncle's other one can be the one you spend the time and effort to make nicer.

Your car is probably in worse shape than most others that people have put effort into fixing, and it looks like you're having more fun doing it than anyone else. I like hearing your progress because it makes the stuff I have to do - that I lament and whine about doing - seem less daunting. Your car is in worse shape, you probably have fewer tools and less experience and you're young and less strong and you're still positive about all of it. Means I shouldn't complain so much about my restoration.

·
Vendor
2,948 Posts
It actually sounds pretty smooth for a car that has been sitting so long (and with a Solex too!). That red interior is very salvageable. I'm guessing it will clean up nicely. As Matt mentioned, the bodywork should definitely be your focus. Don't worry about making it too pretty, but sorting out those rotten rockers should be a priority.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #114 ·
I love the bondo hailstorm when you drive it down the road.

Rockers are in worse shape than I'd earlier thought, they're clear missing their entire bottom halves. Half inch of bondo slathered onto everything.

It's time you start learning to weld.

Good news is that this one is a good practice car and your uncle's other one can be the one you spend the time and effort to make nicer.

Your car is probably in worse shape than most others that people have put effort into fixing, and it looks like you're having more fun doing it than anyone else. I like hearing your progress because it makes the stuff I have to do - that I lament and whine about doing - seem less daunting. Your car is in worse shape, you probably have fewer tools and less experience and you're young and less strong and you're still positive about all of it. Means I shouldn't complain so much about my restoration.
Eventaully once we get the car running right we will put new rockers on. They won't be perfect but they will do their job. Hopefully I will get the blue gt this summer my great uncle is still thinking about letting it go. The car is at my grandpa's house and he has two barns full of tools. He also has restored two cars a 1933 american austin, and a 1966 MG midget. He is restoring a 1970 Triumph spitfire, a 1938 american bantam. And he has two cars just sitting around that aren't restored a 1960s morris travelall, and a kit car. He has a lot of experience of working on cars. I bet just restoration will look nicer and won't take as long as mine. I go over to my grandparent's house about 1-2 times a month and work on the GT so it will be a long time until it is done.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #115 ·
It actually sounds pretty smooth for a car that has been sitting so long (and with a Solex too!). That red interior is very salvageable. I'm guessing it will clean up nicely. As Matt mentioned, the bodywork should definitely be you focus. Don't worry about making it too pretty, but sorting out those rotten rockers should be a priority.
We will be working on those rockers. My grandpa is scared that I might fall through if I am driving down the road.(y)

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Here is the first drive with brakes video.

Sam
Great video kid!!! Your going to learn alot tinkering with these old cars....

That said, Wow is the body on your GT ever in bad shape! I hope you can get your hands on the blue GT. It looked in pritty good shape at first glance and would save you ALOT of work and resources in the long run...

·
Opeler
1,505 Posts
Eventaully once we get the car running right we will put new rockers on. They won't be perfect but they will do their job. Hopefully I will get the blue gt this summer my great uncle is still thinking about letting it go. The car is at my grandpa's house and he has two barns full of tools. He also has restored two cars a 1933 american austin, and a 1966 MG midget. He is restoring a 1970 Triumph spitfire, a 1938 american bantam. And he has two cars just sitting around that aren't restored a 1960s morris travelall, and a kit car. He has a lot of experience of working on cars. I bet just restoration will look nicer and won't take as long as mine. I go over to my grandparent's house about 1-2 times a month and work on the GT so it will be a long time until it is done.
I really like the style of the old Bantam roadsters. When I was a kid my neighbor had one that he had put a 60 hp flathead Ford V-8 in. It would really fly!

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #118 · (Edited)
I really like the style of the old Bantam roadsters. When I was a kid my neighbor had one that he had put a 60 hp flathead Ford V-8 in. It would really fly!
That is kind of funny because my grandpa also has a v8-60 ford that is doing nothing and we are trying to get it to run right. Here is a video of that engine.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #119 ·
New update today. I didn't work on the Opel but I found a goodie at a garage sale. It is a mp3 car player. It looks like it might fit in the Opel. I might have to do some cutting but I think it will work. It was only $10, and It was brand new in the box! On ebay they are going for $15-$30. Now all I need are some speakers. Does any one know what speakers are good?

Also I am going to do te valves on the Opel tomorrow and I am going on a car club meet with my grandparents so I won't be home until friday.

Sam

·
Opeler
1,250 Posts
New update today. I didn't work on the Opel but I found a goodie at a garage sale. It is a mp3 car player. It looks like it might fit in the Opel. I might have to do some cutting but I think it will work. It was only $10, and It was brand new in the box! On ebay they are going for $15-$30. Now all I need are some speakers. Does any one know what speakers are good?

Also I am going to do te valves on the Opel tomorrow and I am going on a car club meet with my grandparents so I won't be home until friday.

Sam
View attachment 436024 View attachment 436025 View attachment 436026 View attachment 436027 View attachment 436028
If your dash is in good shape, don’t cut it to for that radio. If it’s already been cut for an aftermarket radio, then go for it

101 - 120 of 131 Posts