Opel GT Forum banner
141 - 160 of 187 Posts

·
Can Opeler
3,569 Posts
I just use plastic zip ties too. The OGTS rubber boots will crack after about 2 years of my driving, so I regularly have to replace them anyway.

·
Registered
1969 Opel Gt 1.9 Automatic
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #142 ·
I just use plastic zip ties too. The OGTS rubber boots will crack after about 2 years of my driving, so I regularly have to replace them anyway.
Why don't they last that long?

·
Registered
1971 Opel GT
85 Posts
My grandpa has a few cars that he is restoring and that have been restored. He has a 1970 triumph spitfire, 1966 mg midget, 1933 american austin, morris travelall, mgb. He has taught me a lot! I am still learning how to weld. I know how to do spread bondo. I have restored a Kohler k241 with his help. The Gt is going to his house because I don't have the room or the tools to work on it. My grandpa and I just want to get it cleaned up and driving. Where do you find FSM at?
I too have done work on MG's and Triumphs. They are much easier to do body work because they are not unibody.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #144 ·
I too have done work on MG's and Triumphs. They are much easier to do body work because they are not unibody.
My grandpa's spitfire and mg are unibodies. So are the older ones like mga's not unibody?

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #147 ·
Also I have the hood of the car. One of the hinges rusted and someone tried to force the hood open so it broke. Does anyone know how to fix this?
Thanks Sam

·
Über Genius
9,490 Posts
Also I have the hood of the car. One of the hinges rusted and someone tried to force the hood open so it broke. Does anyone know how to fix this?
Thanks Sam
Depends on where it broke.
No matter where it broke, you have to remove the hinge assembly. It's not a fun job to do.

Reactions: Young Gt Lover

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Thanks Sam
It can be done by removing the front bumper & grill. You don’t need to remove the engine or anything radical like that. Here’s the thread with a great repair solution that I followed. Once again another repair solution posted on this awesome site!

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #150 ·
We already took the hinge assembly out and the grill is off. Does it take a long time to fix?

·
Über Genius
9,490 Posts

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Pictures are a very good idea. I wish I had more of the damage/tear area, I’d post them to be more helpful. Chances are very high that yours is the common problem that the majority of the posts have, due to no lubrication on the pivoting areas. Be sure to address the other side that hasn’t torn if it’s repairable. Once you get in there and see how long you will need to make the bracket that’s the biggest challenge (making the bracket) Just be sure everything is lined up properly. I made the template for the bracket as Bill suggested from a cereal box
Rectangle Font Tints and shades Eyewear Fashion accessory
Here’s a picture of the bracket installed
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Gas Aviation

As you can see I used both rivets and a screw where I couldn’t fit the rivet gun. To fabricate the bracket I got a piece of angled metal, Home Depot may have something in the building materials section. To shape it I used a metal grinding/cutting wheel with my 4 1/2” portable grinder with the bracket clamped in the bench vise. The biggest challenge after that is lining up the hinge assembly, getting your hands in there etc. a little ingenuity and it’s in. The assembly was an hour give or take.

·
Detritus Maximus
2,993 Posts
Actually, this might be a good repair to do along with the engine/trans removal. With those out of the way, it will be easier to get up in there from the engine bay.

It may even help to have the hood in place with the hinge attached to make sure placement is correct.

This is all assuming you have the help of someone more experienced, which I believe you have.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #154 ·
I don't have any pics of it. I will be working on the GT in a week or so then I can get pics. Then I will install a water pump and redo the accelerator pump.

So I don't have to weld it? I can just rivit it? My grandpa is helping me with all this so I have help.

Thanks Sam

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Yes on the riveting, that information was in the earlier posts to your thread. BTW I found the repair much easier from the front I did have the radiator, engine, transmission out. In fact I waited to do the repair until I removed the engine. I found it nearly impossible to do the repair from behind. Now other people may have different approaches that was just my experience. I had enough of the torn metal piece to make the template to accurately mark the hole. HTH

·
Detritus Maximus
2,993 Posts
I guess it would be easier to get in there from the engine bay if you are in junior high....

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #157 ·
I might be able to fit. LOL. With my grandpa's help we might be able to figure something out.

·
Über Genius
9,490 Posts
Remember, any holes you put in Opel sheet metal WILL rust if not treated.

Reactions: Young Gt Lover

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #159 ·
Yep. We are planning to treat the rust and put rust resitent stuff on the car.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #160 ·
Today and tomorrow I am going to work on the GT! We might install a water pump, accelerator pump and we might work on the cold air intake. Then saturday The Opel is going to it's first car show! The car show is 2 miles from my grandparents house so it should make it. Pictures are coming either saturday or sunday. Youtube videos are coming soon too!

141 - 160 of 187 Posts