Opel GT Forum banner
161 - 180 of 187 Posts

·
Registered
1969 Opel Gt 1.9 Automatic
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #161 ·
So I worked on the opel thursday an friday. I installed the water pump and worked on the carburator! The water pump made a huge mess! I don't understand why they didn't put a drain plug on the radiators. We installed a new water pump from rock auto and a uper hose from rock auto too. Then we got a lower hose from ogts an we got a air filter boot from ogts. We also got a carb kit from rock auto. Taking the radiattor out of the car was the hardest part!

Then we figured out that the accelerator pump isn't bad. So we figured out that we didn't have a ball for the check valve. So we got a ball in my grandpa's stash.. Then we put the carb back on. We starte the car without squirting gas in the carb! Also it didn't die when you floor it when driving it. That car is faster then I thought! Then saturday we trailered the opel to a car show. And I won the work in progress award! Also the mg that is beside my car is my grandpa's it has a fiberglss bug eye sprite hood on it

·
Registered
799 Posts
Really, when you think about it, probably 80%-90% of car projects get abandoned, so, the "Work in Progress" award should actually be the most prestigious of all awards, as the competition is surely tougher than 5-10x everything else at the show combined.

Congrats on the award and your (actual) continued progress, proving it's not just going to sit until "someday".

·
Registered
1970 Opel Gt - Purchased July 1972 - Chartreuse - restored - 3000 miles as of 02-16, 2021 -
813 Posts
Congrats on your first car show and your first award Sam. And good luck with your continuing progress/success regarding your GT project. With all of the good information on the forum and the help of Grandpa you are well on your way to your next trophy.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Really, when you think about it, probably 80%-90% of car projects get abandoned, so, the "Work in Progress" award should actually be the most prestigious of all awards, as the competition is surely tougher than 5-10x everything else at the show combined.

Congrats on the award and your (actual) continued progress, proving it's not just going to sit until "someday".
That's a good point Matt, And to follow up with that the number of them that the work was actually performed by the owners and not just sent out for someone else to do makes the margin even greater.
I personally know a hand full of people in my area that have more money than they know what to do with and there collection is extensive.
To the point they buy property solely to build extravagant garages/mancaves for there cars. ( not that there's anything wrong with that).
But they can't fix anything if there life depended on it.
So when they win there awards it goes up on a shelf in there mancaves just to brag about what they've payed there way for.
Interesting enough there sense of pride for there builds are different than those who actually get there hands dirty.
Anyway not to highjack the thread just find it interesting

·
Registered
1970 Opel Gt - Purchased July 1972 - Chartreuse - restored - 3000 miles as of 02-16, 2021 -
813 Posts
That's a good point Matt, And to follow up with that the number of them that the work was actually performed by the owners and not just sent out for someone else to do makes the margin even greater.
I personally know a hand full of people in my area that have more money than they know what to do with and there collection is extensive.
To the point they buy property solely to build extravagant garages/mancaves for there cars. ( not that there's anything wrong with that).
But they can't fix anything if there life depended on it.
So when they win there awards it goes up on a shelf in there mancaves just to brag about what they've payed there way for.
Interesting enough there sense of pride for there builds are different than those who actually get there hands dirty.
Anyway not to highjack the thread just find it interesting
Well Terry when you do it yourself you get not only the bragging rights but the satisfaction of doing it yourself right. I have always been a do it yourself kind of guy and in my life time, with the exception of a new roof and or HVAC repair work, I have done 99% myself. Same with the GT - never been to a mechanic, since I started the restoration, that may not have always been the best thing to do but I take a certain amount of pride in that. During the daily driving years the car saw many many mechanics as I did not have the time or knowledge to do it myself or this forum to guide me. It is one thing to own a classic car a totally different thing to build one.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
I do need to get a little better with the notes and picture thing. I'm beginning to realize my memory doesn't always serve me as well as it used to. Interesting my memory seems to be following my vision LOL

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #170 ·
Thanks for all the kind words! Slowly I am working on it. School starts in a week and I probably won't get much done on it. The next projects are doing the cold air intake, installing a roadmaster radio, and working on the hood hinges and the battery box.

Thanks Sam

·
Registered
56 Posts
Thanks for all the kind words! Slowly I am working on it. School starts in a week and I probably won't get much done on it. The next projects are doing the cold air intake, installing a roadmaster radio, and working on the hood hinges and the battery box.

Thanks Sam
Where was the Car show?
Bill

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #174 ·
I got 2 tail light lens today! Opelbits sold me some of his tail lights and they look great! The GT will look more complete now!

Also school started today so I won't be working on the GT that much. Most of my time will be trying to get my 1978 polaris cobra 440 going again.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #175 ·
Finally an update!

I might be working on the Opel on Saturday. I have a very important part to install. I AM GETTING A WEBER CARB! Shipping says it should be here tomorrow and I am so excited! My opel will finally maybe start good instead of taking forever and it shouldn't bog and It should be faster!
Does anyone know how much horsepower a weber 32/36 will add on an otherwise stock car?
I will post pics once I get the carb hopefully tomorrow.

Sam

·
Can Opeler
3,569 Posts
Finally an update!

I might be working on the Opel on Saturday. I have a very important part to install. I AM GETTING A WEBER CARB! Shipping says it should be here tomorrow and I am so excited! My opel will finally maybe start good instead of taking forever and it shouldn't bog and It should be faster!
Does anyone know how much horsepower a weber 32/36 will add on an otherwise stock car?
I will post pics once I get the carb hopefully tomorrow.

Sam
Congrats!

A Weber 32/36 out of the box will make about the same HP as a properly tuned stock solex.

The stock carb is a 32/32 so the Weber does outflow it. You gain a few ponies but without doing some other mods nothing really noticeable.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #177 ·
Congrats!

A Weber 32/36 out of the box will make about the same HP as a properly tuned stock solex.

The stock carb is a 32/32 so the Weber does outflow it. You gain a few ponies but without doing some other mods nothing really noticeable.
Some day I would like to put headers and maybe a vibrant muffler on it with 2 inch exhaust.

I bet that would help.

I just hope that it runs better with this new carb!

Also I ordered a distributor cap off rock auto since the one on the opel right now is the wrong one and it barely fits on the distributor. It came installed on the car.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #178 ·
I got the carb! It looks amazing and I hope it will work very good! Do I need to buy a linkage piece off ogts to make it hook up? Thanks so much to aserpa for hooking me up with this wonderful carb!

Sam
Automotive tire Gas Bumper Auto part Flooring
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Headlamp
Automotive tire Floor Wood Flooring Gas

Automotive lighting Gas Personal protective equipment Machine Auto part

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I got the carb! It looks amazing and I hope it will work very good! Do I need to buy a linkage piece off ogts to make it hook up? Thanks so much to aserpa for hooking me up with this wonderful carb!

Sam
View attachment 437997 View attachment 437998 View attachment 437999
View attachment 438000
You should be able to remove the ball stud from your Solex & use it. You’ll just need the thick mounting gasket, heat shield and thin gasket. Call Gil at OGTS if you haven’t already picked those things up. It looks like a great carburetor!

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #180 ·
You should be able to remove the ball stud from your Solex & use it. You’ll just need the thick mounting gasket, heat shield and thin gasket. Call Gil at OGTS if you haven’t already picked those things up. It looks like a great carburetor!
Can I make sure that it runs good and drives good with no heat shield?

161 - 180 of 187 Posts