Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I list it it is here in Lake Elsinore California clear title current registration
5 speed 2.2 L engine nice paint Ferro seats all digital instruments Power door locks
power windows nice rims with big brake package NEW Die Hard battery (12 /13)
electric cooling fan removable roof nice carpeting really in turn key condition
I am just putting this out there to see if anyone is interested in owning one of just
a handful Aero GT in the world ( i do believe 2 are in museums) This one is a DRIVER
not as store it to look at it type of GT
Let me know call me at 760 497 5360 if you want to see it or want to but it
I have an independent appraisal done and this is a STEAL for anyone who has the
$$$$$ to buy it now
A FUN GT for sure

·
Opelnut
942 Posts
Post photos please

dont think I am currently able to buy another car but would love to see photos !!!

·
Mid-West Opeler
2,405 Posts

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
The Targa bit doesn't really do much for me as I prefer cars to be either full on cabs or tin tops but I love the rear window/deck of these cars

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I imagine this Aero and Steve Daniel's Aero are the only 2 in the US. Would like to know if there are others. The best looking GT of all, in my opinion. This is what the GT should have been from Day 1.....

·
Super Moderator
13,735 Posts
I imagine this Aero and Steve Daniel's Aero are the only 2 in the US. Would like to know if there are others. The best looking GT of all, in my opinion. This is what the GT should have been from Day 1.....
I remember quite a few back in the 1980's when I worked for the original owners of C & R. No internet back then, but people would send in photos of their cars all the time. We had a display board on the wall showcasing the nicer cars. I'm sure all those cars have lost out to the ravages of time though...

The neatest one I remember was a red GT with a real Porsche 935 slantnose grafted onto the front, targa top, and a 'Ferrari 308 GTB' style rear window treatment. He also had the Steinmetz rear flares, and IIRC, he had 15 x 8 front wheels and 15 x 10 rear wheels on the car. Pretty cool for 1985!

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
I can attest to the beauty of an Aero GT in person. I had the honour of meeting Steve Daniel and his creation @ Carlisle 2013. But to me I feel their beauty comes from their rare concept car heritage. Although not perfect, the GT that we know was a better, more feasible mass production concept. And that may be one of the big reasons why we've had the pleasure to enjoy the GT that we know and love. If the Aero would have been the only model we may never have had a production number of 105 thousand cars.

That being said it's a real pity that they never went into at least limited production of five to ten thousand units.:no:

Of course that's just an opinion and I'll add that I'm not a convertible kind of guy either.:lmao:

Reactions: 69opelmi

·
1,746 Posts
I have always thought the Aero GT would have been a great mid engine platform, perhaps with a Plexiglas rear deck. Throw in a four wheel independent suspension and watch out Lotus.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I remember quite a few back in the 1980's when I worked for the original owners of C & R. No internet back then, but people would send in photos of their cars all the time. We had a display board on the wall showcasing the nicer cars. I'm sure all those cars have lost out to the ravages of time though...

The neatest one I remember was a red GT with a real Porsche 935 slantnose grafted onto the front, targa top, and a '308GTB' style rear window treatment. He also had the Steinmetz rear flares, and IIRC, he had 15 x 8 front wheels and 15 x 10 rear wheels on the car. Pretty cool for 1985!
Bob, just a suggestion: how great it would be if you could post those pictures (if you have them) on this forum so we could get a snap shot of Opeling, 1980's style. It would be fun to contrast what was going on then with engines, custom body work, tires and wheel combinations with what's going on now.

I was visiting JerseyDave a few weeks back and he was talking about having a C&R catalog in his possession, but we were unable to find it. I remember the IECO catalogs for the Chevy Vega back in the 70's and the cool stuff available for that engine, the side draft manifolds, DCOE's, headers and the like, so I wanted to see what your business was up to in that era.

Heck, if the photos are long gone, it would be neat if you could share any of your remembrances of that time. I know I would enjoy it!

Best Regards,
Mike

PS: To expand that thought, it would be neat to hear from all the Opel guys in business back in that era, the time after the German Opel left the showrooms and service bays and individuals kept the flame alive....:yup:

·
Super Moderator
13,735 Posts
Bob, just a suggestion: how great it would be if you could post those pictures (if you have them) on this forum so we could get a snap shot of Opeling, 1980's style. It would be fun to contrast what was going on then with engines, custom body work, tires and wheel combinations with what's going on now.
I only wish I had those pics! As far as I know, they stayed with Smitty after he sold the business to me. I never saw them again.

Bob

·
Opel Key Master
5,184 Posts
I just wonder how the car has held up after 14 years, without current pictures. I also wonder if the car is in CA or FL, as JJ was in Florida the last I heard. Another thing that worries me about this car is, JJ liked using an entirely different wiring harness from other cars and it can be quite a mess! It will work, but he never seemed to make it compact. I believe he used a Volvo wire harness on his last GT he was trying to sell, and it was pretty busy. I don't know why they don't try to sell these higher end Opels themselves though, do you really need a broker to put it on craigslist for you? If I were going to sell it for someone and charge a commission (not saying he is charging JJ) it would be in at least 5 publications, and online sale venues

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
There's an "asking" price of $25,000 and there's a "sales" price of whatever the owner will actually take for it. My guess is the latter would be in the neighborhood of $10,000.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts