Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Currently in Opel Detox.
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my admission that I have an addiction.

I cannot go more than 6 months without buying an opel.

Thank god I like to sell them once I have them, but I just can't stop myself.

Since I moved into my house on the corner of a not so heavily traveled suburbanite road, people approach me to buy thier opels.

I'm going to pick up another GT today for $800.

that will leave me with 2 gt's 1 manta and 1 Catera.

Stop me before I start making roadside art.

·
1450 Seeker...
613 Posts
We are here to help. If you find the need to rid yourself of all Opelness, many of us will be here to lend a helping hand, and take your cars and parts, so that you are able to begin the healing process.

;)

On a serious note, at least you are addicted to a car that is more rewarding than trouble.

Any plans on turning that Catera into a genuine Opel (there is a front grill on ebay right now....)

Opel Omega grill

·
Currently in Opel Detox.
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do want to opelize the caddy.

mine is 99, so that grill won't fit.

plus I have to be pretty budget minded with that many cars to suck my money.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Brett- it takes a big man to make that admission. Here is my two step program toward recovery
#1. Just say "NO"
#2. Give them my home phone number as I will try to remove the temptation from you.
Texas Tom

·
Senior Contributor
499 Posts
The cure (which is poverty) is far worse than the addiction.

Consider it this way, Opelitiss, while costly to you and your family is doing a lot to patriotically keep the economy going and helps Hwy beautification by keeping something interesting to look at on the road.
C

·
Driver
987 Posts
Brett, are you coming to Houston tomorrow?

·
Opel fan
357 Posts
Opelittis

Wow, finally a name for our affliction. I have 5 GTs and can't seem to stop looking for more. Two are at my house and the other 3 are still at the PO's places. I was all set to get two of them towed towed to my house when my buddy quit his job as a roll back operator. I pleaded for him to hang on just a little longer so I could get them home first but he could'nt take stand it any longer, problems with the boss or something like that. He was going to charge me a great price for the job. Anyone with some roll back connections in the area of Jessup, Pa. could sure do me a big favor by hooking me up. Do you know what it costs to have two cars towed 100 miles to Flemington, NJ. from Jessup, Pa.? If I keep this up, I am going to have to buy a car trailer or something!
Opelittis, hmm, I don't think I am ready for the cure, what would I do with all that extra money and time? I am sure it would just lead to trouble!!:D

·
Opeler
231 Posts
Its not a illness, it's the cars. They breed while I sleep at night. A year ago I had one 73 GT. I woke up one day 4 or 5 months ago and there was two 73 GT's at the house. Just 2 or 3 weeks ago I go out back to the shop and now there is two 73 GT's and a 71 GT. I don't understand where they come from:D

·
Senior Contributor
730 Posts
AHHHHHHH! I GOT IT! (I want it! I need it!) A Cal. gt, a Ks. GT and someone offered to sell me part/rebuildable GT's. Will the temptation never end!
:D
(If I could only find a XP driver for my ISDN box:( )

·
Senior Contributor
499 Posts
I have a tow set up for a Manta if someone needs to borrow it. I used it to tow my Manta back to STL from Texas so it does work. I got it from the Opel racer Stan C. who also said he used it on the Oxcart to move it about so I am assuming that it works for a GT also though I have never seen it work for that. I bet it would cost about $15 to shipn one way. To use it the bumper must be removed. It is not the towbar that you must get your own but rather a bar with brackets that the tow bar bolts to.

·
Registered
25 Posts
front nose valance needed

brett, If you run across so many gt's perhaps you can sell me a front nose valance or know someone who wants to sell one. Mine's rusted beyond repair. Thanks, Mike. PS. Buy what you like

·
Administrator
10,213 Posts
Re: Opelittis

Jim Branham said:
...If I keep this up, I am going to have to buy a car trailer or something!
A trailer greatly adds to the temptation(s). Waaay too convenient.... Waaay too easy to "justify" another Opel.... Like, I may be heading to NY in a couple of weeks to pick up another.

Maybe we should start each post out with: Hi, my name is ***** and I am an Opelholic.....

·
Senior Contributor
499 Posts
Here is a sign that Opelitis is progressing. I dreamed about a stage three Opel Ascona 400 engine all night long... Porsche Boxer schmoxer ....I want it so bad I can taste it... it would be my first $17,000.00 investment if I won the lottery (plus the trip to germany to pick it up).

·
Opel Addicts
2,470 Posts
And then there are those of us who are really sick--2 people-- ten (10!) cars. 7 opels gts, 1 triumphtr7 (no accounting for taste --it's Allen's, and our daily drivers.

2 good looking gt drivers, my street rod project and a few more coming along. We figure we will have to hire drivers to bring the cars to Carlisle in a couple of years.

It is definiately an illness.

Vickie & Allen Gage

·
Super Moderator
13,812 Posts
My signature pretty much sums up my afflictions.....

·
Opel fan
357 Posts
Opelittis symptoms

Well, I went and looked at the 69 GT in Mt. Kisco, NY. , wound up buying it and his parts. He had some good stuff like a perfect rectangular gauge panel uncut or marred (I've been wanting one real bad lately), a fresh block, couldn't tell if it was just honed or bored. A head all redone, no hardened seats though. A couple good complete doors, another hood, bumper and bunperettes in fairly good shape, w/w assembly, 2 seats in fair condtion, electric defrost rear window, 3 rear side glass- one pop out style, 1 door glass, some good front and rear lenses, headlight assemblies,... a bunch of odds and ends. The car itself is pretty rough along the bottom rockers and floors, you can see patch jobs rusting back out at the fender tops, one door has a good size dent in it but would probably pop back out easily enough, another dent passenger side rear quarter, the dash is cracked up, the gauge panel is broken along the heater control. In other words, the interior is all there but dirty and brittle with a few mouse holes. It has a rebuilt engine with the Weber. Also this is a early 69 I guess, The PO pulled the speedo when he rebuilt the engine 5-10,xxx miles ago, made it easy to figure the build date, even though the drivers door didn't list it. The date stamped on the speedo is 9-68 and it has the flat panel in the license plate and tail lights area, also some other interior differences I hadn't seen on other opels. Check it out in the pics. BIG QUESTION is if this Opel is worth the time and money to restore because of it's early origins or not really? Anybody know about that?

Attachments

·
Opeler
1,742 Posts
Funny how that happens

One day you are driving one Opel Gt, and then this guy pulls up next to you at the light, and says "Hey, I got one of them in my backyard, wanna buy it?" Then two guys want you to work on theirs, and then you buy this parts car to keep three cars running, and then one of those guys gets married and sells you his, and... The next thing you know you have seven of them.

In Bretts case it's not his fault, he had an evil, wicked neighbor who led him astray with a lowered red 70 gt, with big fat tires.
He was so easily lead astray hehe.

It took years before I got over it, but I only have one left, sort of an emergency, just in case GT, in case the addiction comes back. It's a 70 1.1 that I want to put a chevette drive train in.

Good luck Brett

James

1 - 18 of 18 Posts