Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Life Long Opeler
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

The engine went it today without any problems. Thanks GENE!!!! see pics here http://www.ttwatchworks.com/opel.htm

However, I do need an exhaust manifold for a 1.9 GT.

I need one where all 6 holes that go to the head pipe are clean and not clogged up by some other broken off bolts.

·
Opeler
7 Posts
exhaust manifold

hey VooDoou, I have a manifold off a '71 GT 1.9L. Its a spare I don't need, but I'm all the way up in Canada. Winnipeg, Manitoba, to be exact. i still have it in the back of the car, under a tarp, but it is in good shape and still has part of the front pipe welded to it, which I can cut off. You can have it, if you can't find one closer to home, just pay the shipping. I'll have to pull it out to make sure its in a-one condition. Today is sunday, its pouring here. I'll check it out by tuesday evening. if you are interested, just let me know.

·
Life Long Opeler
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

Hey Thanks.

Ive been on Vacation at the beach for a week and have intentionally NOT checked my e-mail. I am home now and I am going to try to drill out the two bolts tomorrow and get some helicoils to put in there. However, if it doesnt work, then yours would be perfect. Ill let you know tomorrow.

Thom

·
Opeler
7 Posts
Need a manifold..

I just pulled the manifold from the back seat last night. Its been 16 years since I removed it from the vehicle.... it does have 3 broken bolts, on one side, where it bolts to the exhaust pipe. It still has the intake manifold attached. I am going to take it to work tomorrow, Saturday, and try to remove the intake and the broken bolts. If I can get 2 out of 3 removed, leaving the center one, it will work fine. Good luck to both of us. I will check in Saturday night and let you know how I made out.

·
Life Long Opeler
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SUCCESS

I drilled out both of the bolts. I needed a 21/64 bit and then I used a Helicoil to tap and insert the new threads. Works like a charm!!!

Im about to put it back on the car now!!! WHoo HOO

·
Life Long Opeler
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh, arent you so clever.

:)

·
Super Moderator
1,798 Posts
don't break another stud

$2 at your local air cooled VW shop will get you 8 copper nuts for your manifold that won't ever rust in place or break your studs. They work awesome!

·
Opeler
7 Posts
I need a manifold...

oldopelguy....My nuts are never rusty, and have never broken my stud! (LOL) And yes, the copper nuts are best to use on exhaust studs, or in place of the studs, use copper bolts.
Well, VooDoou, I removed the intake manifold. Man, I hate those European 12 point torx-style bolts. Was able to drill out 2 of the broken pipe to manifold bolts and re-tap the threads to the original size. The last one I just drilled out and would use a bolt and nut, if I ever need to use this manifold.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts