Hungry critters, 77k miles,

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Very nice!

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,394 Posts
It amazing how dead GT's always have mileage in the 70K range. I can't tell you how many times I've seen barn find GT's with 70K mileage here on this site. I've had 3 GT's that had similar mileage when I got them. There must be a timer or expiration date built into our cars.

·
RunOpel
1,251 Posts
Looking forward to seeing the progress of cleaning and restoration :)
Good luck (y)

·
Registered
346 Posts
Likely turned over 100k. Even in the age of planned obsolecense (sp), a car will go 170,000 miles unless the PO never changed the oil.

·
Detritus Maximus
2,232 Posts
My theory is that was how long the old Solex carbs would last before an issue cropped up that no one could figure out. With no Weber option at the time and the high expense of a dealer part, they got parked.

Reactions: JudokaJohn

·
Über Genius
8,962 Posts
MOST of the GT's I ended up with had 70K-80K miles on them.

The Solex carb theory is plausible. My first and second ones were a bear on certain brands of gas. The second one was the first time I did a Weber swap and it lived many more years until I crashed it.

Reactions: JudokaJohn

·
Detritus Maximus
2,232 Posts
MOST of the GT's I ended up with had 70K-80K miles on them.

The Solex carb theory is plausible. My first and second ones were a bear on certain brands of gas. The second one was the first time I did a Weber swap and it lived many more years until I crashed it.
So many times I found cars sitting behind houses and under trees with the same story, carb problems and no one could fix them. The follow up is that they were usually sitting on a slant and that would be the side that rusted out.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
An old school Allison electronics ignition, pretty cool. I saw them listed as Crane Cams/Allison electronic ignition on the old Opel GT Source catalog info, but never saw what it looked like. I assumed it was like the Crane XR-700, but your photo says otherwise.

·
Opeler
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
FEF0F543-1CFD-4F69-9EE3-8DA5C98177B9.jpeg Dug into carpet area and found what appears to be a squirrel. Walnuts everywhere as well as a remnant of a decon box. Looks like it worked

An old school Allison electronics ignition, pretty cool. I saw them listed as Crane Cams/Allison electronic ignition on the old Opel GT Source catalog info, but never saw what it looked like. I assumed it was like the Crane XR-700, but your photo says otherwise.
all the wiring was eaten by mice, so i might go to the pertronix i had in the other 72

Reactions: mattbev

·
Registered
839 Posts
They were a hungry bunch of critters. I've never seen spark plug wires completely eaten away.

·
1,584 Posts
To stop mice and critters from chewing on wiring (wiring is like McD's fries to mice) you can buy "mice tape" to wrap your wiring. You can find it on Amazon or at a Honda dealership (Honda wiring is a rodent buffet and has great housing available) the tape is infused with pepper from "Hell" (not a poison) and does not go with fries.
Just a FYI for cars or RV'S that may set and have wiring issues from rodents .
John

·
Registered
16 Posts
View attachment 428123
Dug into carpet area and found what appears to be a squirrel. Walnuts everywhere as well as a remnant of a decon box. Looks like it worked View attachment 428122

all the wiring was eaten by mice, so i might go to the pertronix i had in the other 72

Gerry, he must have escaped from the Engine! This GT was optioned with extra "squirrel power" :) you could encase him in Epoxy and hang from the mirror!

·
1000 Post Club
4,109 Posts
I thought he would be in the heater box where there is a "squirrel cage" blower assembly. :)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts