Opel GT Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

· Registered
2,667 Posts
I hope it all goes well for you with your procedure.
I assume your repair/bleed on the brakes corrected the issue.
I think I'm going to follow your lead with the cardboard on the work bench.
It's come to my attention the wife isn't to fond off me washing my greasy towels in the same washer as her clothes :unsure:
Maybe I need a better detergent for those items LOL

· Über Genius
10,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I hope it all goes well for you with your procedure.
I assume your repair/bleed on the brakes corrected the issue.
I think I'm going to follow your lead with the cardboard on the work bench.
It's come to my attention the wife isn't to fond off me washing my greasy towels in the same washer as her clothes :unsure:
Maybe I need a better detergent for those items LOL
Thanks.

Yes, bleeding the brakes seems to have worked. I haven't test driven it yet, though. I just bought a new battery Thursday so I'll test drive it this weekend.
i have about 40 tons of cardboard available in sizes up to 10 feet wide. It's going to be easy to find a nice smooth piece to put on the workbench.

Pro tip. If you wash your greasy stuff in the washing machine, run a blank cycle with some clothes going to the Goodwill afterwards. It will remove any remaining grime from the washer. Oh, and add vinegar to that load.

· Über Genius
10,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
OK, my heart procedure has to be postponed.
Why?
I got Covid! It really wasn't a bad case. I've had worse Flu. But I'm on day 8 of being CV+. Was kicked out of work this morning.
I feel almost fine.

So I thought I'd work on the front suspension.
I HATE rebuilding front suspension.
It's time to get the old rubber bushings out. Anyone that's had to do them knows it's a pain in the pooper.
I figured I might be able to press them out with the 12 ton hydraulic press if I put the right combination of press parts together.
I cobbled together a 1/2" socket that will fit in the hole for the bushing. I calculated it at 29mm+ so I'm using a socket with a 28mm diameter
Automotive exterior Automotive tire Fender Rim Bumper

I put a 3/4" drive socket under the flange so it will support the A-arm and not cause it to deform.
I started pumping up the press and it's currently sitting with close to max pressure and the rubber bushing isn't budging.

Time to bring out the drill, dagnabbit.

Automotive tire Bumper Motor vehicle Rim Gas

Reactions: Young Gt Lover

· Über Genius
10,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
WTH do I do with these?

As I said before I haven't done many front suspension builds. It's been a long time since I did my last one.

I have the sleeves out of the lower A-arm and the poly bushings seem like they will fit when I clear the rubber, but the length of the poly is different than the length of the rubber. When I bolt it back together it seems like there would be less threads and some interference in snugging down the bushings.

The last one I did, the bolt holding the poly bushing came loose and my son was stranded at the side of the road. Luckily we found the bolt and washer and got it back together but I'd rather not repeat the problem.

Adhesive Automotive tire Adhesive tape Paint Gas

Automotive tire Adhesive Gas Nut Household hardware

· Just Some Dude in Jersey
17,370 Posts
Hmmm......the new poly's have grooves inside to hold the lube. I've never seen that before, previous ones I've had were dead smooth inside.

The rubber in the stock factory rubber cartridges allowed side to side movement via flexing of the rubber. The poly's do not allow movement and the flange sticking up shims away the movement zone.

· Über Genius
10,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
OK, that makes sense. The poly bushings do have the grooves.

Now the next problem. I can't get the sleeves off the whachamadinger. They're pretty well attached (rust most likely).
I'd like to get them off to clean them better. The last rebuild looked like they gave up and got as much rubber off as they could before putting the new rubber back on.

17,370 Posts
On the upper A-arms I had to use a hack saw to cut through the side of the bushing sleeves. This required also cutting through the rings on the inside of the A-arm. This enables you to collapse the shell to get it out. Now, this applies to installing brand new rubber cartridges ONLY. If you are just burning out the rubber and installing poly's, you should NOT remove the outer shells of the rubber cartridges from the A-arms. If installing new rubber cartridges, they should go in pretty easily on the Upper A-arms with just a vice. The Lower A-arm cartridges are a royal muthafluffa to reinstall. I think I may have mentioned here or in my build thread that you need to make a brace to put between the arms of the lower a-arms at the bushing area to preserve their distance apart while you pound them in.

· Über Genius
10,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Burn them out? PFFFFT!!!

Scifi Guy suggested leaving the sleeves in and burning out the rubber. I did that, and used the drill, and all that last time.
I have a lathe now.
I took the sleeves out and used the lathe to cut the rubber out. Nice and clean and took minutes not a couple hours.
No fumes, some mess. No fuss.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Engineering Machine tool

Automotive tire Plumbing fitting Plumbing Plumbing fixture Gas

Paint Dishware Cosmetics Automotive tire Wood

The poly bushings now fit like a glove. I need to add a little pressure to get them in but pulling them back out was tough. I'm sure the fit is perfect.

17,370 Posts
Yeah, I'm drooling, too. No room for one though. I still have the big bowl and lamp I made in high school. I carved too deeply into the base of the bowl and revealed the screws holding the wood to the lathe. The teacher had me drill out the holes and insert wood plugs. I guess as a learning exercise. That flocked it all up and made it look ugly. Should have have used much smaller plugs or wood filler to fix the issue. I made a really cool wood chalice with a topless beer can embedded inside, a decorative copper ring around the base, and a nice leather strap around the stem. The can inside made it waterproof. Someone stole it at a high school keg party when I left it unattended. We had access to lots of mahogany back in those days, then it became really scarce. It's even tough to find it nowadays.

Pedestal Light Wood Lighting Wood stain

Wood Table Varnish Wood stain Hardwood

Here's the footstool I made that my feet are resting on right now as I type. Red cedar sides and mahogany legs. The red cedar is too brittle a wood to use structurally on furniture and it has broken and been repaired many times. I've replaced the cushioned top's covering many times over the decades.:

Furniture Table Chair Rectangle Wood

Did you know that there is a specific cut of the spindles holding up a staircase railing and other things that looks like Napoleon's profile? I remember finding it among the project blueprints in my shop class's archives. A shadow on the wall cast by one of the spindles really does look just like Napoleon!

21 - 31 of 31 Posts