Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine has just bought a '69 Opel GT 1,9L.
He can't find the cars' chassis or identical number. The car is a US-type.

Where is the number?
Is is stamped in some metal-structure, a metal tag or a piece of paper?

:confused:

· Registered
6,344 Posts
And if it close to original and the PO did not paint over it, there is a anti-removal decal stating the front, rear axle, and gross vehicle weights on the driver's door below the latch that has the VIN made up of dots under the lettering on the decal.

Ron

77 Posts
Numbers on an Opel GT

:confused: What are the Numbers and letters Stamped on the diagonal attached to the support behind the rad, mine has U7164 and below that BB or RR

Its only money that keeps your GT running

· Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
fredopelgt said:
:confused: What are the Numbers and letters Stamped on the diagonal attached to the support behind the rad, mine has U7164 and below that BB or RR

Its only money that keeps your GT running
I believe that is the Build Number from the French Company of Brissonneau & Lotz who built the GT bodies before they were shipped to Germany to be fitted with the running gear. Some one will say if it is not ......

· Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
More Speculation....

I think the BB or RR is a paint code - you may be able to shed some light on this:

BB is the paint code for "Regency Blue" (L204 on the alloy VIN tag)

RR-JJ is the paint code for "Flame Red" (L508 on the alloy VIN tag)

Have you any idea what the original colour was/is for that particular GT?

The paint was applied by Brissonneau & Lotz before the GT bodies were shipped to Germany and the VIN tags installed. So it would make sense to have the paint code stamped on the body shell in that position if that is their build number next to it.

· Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
No Problem!

fredopelgt said:
Sorry GTJIM, that I haven't replied to your question the answer is colour code is 404 with interior 721.
GT.Com very efficiently emails me when there are replies to threads I have posted to - so thanks for the reply.

However it blows my theory out of the water as "404" is the code for Aztec Gold Poly (acrilic laquer) paint and the letter code for that colour is GG-D.

I still think the number is the original body build number - at least no-one has jumped in and told us that is a wrong guess ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.