Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
going to be getting a manta rallye soon, and i was just wondering what ideas anyone has that i should do with it?

also wondering where to get manta exclusive parts?

theres a picture of it attached. needs some work, but ill get there.

Attachments

·
Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer
7,517 Posts
I can get sheetmetal and rubber for you.. ALthough right now prices are nuts. The Euro isnt our friend right now.

Opel GT Source does carry a front Manta spoiler though.

Are you going stock or custom? If custom, the first thing I would do, is remove the damn chrome around the wheels. It's hard to get good, and holds water and crap next to the body. Remove it and then take a grinder and cut off all the little mounting studs. Its a much cleaner look.

Mechanically you got a lot of room to play with.. whats the current condition of the car?

Charles

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
decent enough

The car's in pretty good shape, you can almost make out my Mom's house in the background of the picture. I was planning on swapping in some sort of Chevy v-6, but selling it finances purchasing a Rekord that I'll like better.

To be a decent running car it needs:
-exhaust system (there basicly is none)
-tires (they won't be great)
-light sockets cleaned, or maybe bulbs swapped (most don't work, or not well)
-possibly a thorough going over of the brakes (I haven't really looked them over, but they work)
-some sort of rust repair behind the rear wheels (inexplicably the only rust on the car, besides a little alreadt fixed battery box stuff)
-A good going over of all the mechanical stuff, like bearings and such, just for safety's sake.

To be a really nice car ir will also need:
-a paint job
-new or replacement seats, carpet, and dash, if you can't stand a couple cracks
-some sort of radio
-an older Manta ignition switch, rekeyed to match the doors and trunk (currently the one in it uses a different key than the rest of the locks)

·
7,517 Posts
So, I guess it really does depend on if you are going custom or not. Which probably is really based on how you are going to use it.

It's a nice Manta overall and as a early Rallye it's a rarer one as well. Also it's in Strato Blue, one of the rarer, yet most popular with current Opel owners, colors.

I would say stick to stock, especialy if it's to be a sunday driver. That's the purist in me..

If its to be a daily driver these are the basics I would look at taking care of:

1) Weber 32/36 (Reliable, easy to rebuild, easy to get parts) - $200-$390

2) Solex air cleaner adapter for Weber. The Stock air cleaner and filter is MUCH better than the little free open Weber filter. - $25

3) K&N filter for stock air cleaner, better flow and never have to replace. - $25-$40

4) Points. Pertronix (No points, need I say more) - $60; If you don't have the money for the Pertronix right now, I have a set of Blue Streak Points and Condensor I can send you for $12. The Blue Streak Points are the best and as far as I am concerned only reliable point set for the Opel. All the others burn out too quickly or don't hold thier gap.

5) Coil. Pick-a-part, look for a red coil from a BMW or a Volvo - Check for the term Non-resistor on it, or if it does have a built in resistor then rerun the wire from the fuse box to the coil with a solid 14ga wire. - $5

6) New Cap, Rotor, Plugs (Bosch Platinum) and Wires - $50

7) Brakes. If you have to rebuild the brakes, then install 75' front brakes (Not much more expensive than 71-74), and 3/4" wheel cylinders (again not much more expensive). Be sure to include new flexible brake lines, springs, shoes and pads. - $350

8) Exhaust. Since you have to run new, do it right. Run 2" pipe to the rear with a 2-1/2" over the axle pipe. Use a standard muffler in the middle (Flat Oval w/ 2" connections fits where the stock one did) and a Monza tip resonator for the rear (About $40 at Pep Boys). Its no more expensive than having the shop do it with the stock sizes and improves the flow in the motor. - $200

9) Radio (A DIN cage WILL fit in a Manta with a dremel tool)
http://www.opelgt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=5052

What I used in my Manta was the standard DIN Cage. But I had to slip the CD Player half way into the cage and slip the cage and radio into the dash at the same time. I then cut a hole and installed 2-1/2" Rockford Fosgates where the single 4x3 speaker was. Worked out nicely. To get CDs in and Out requires a bit of a slip of the wrist but its not bad. I also got a set of nice 6-1/2" round 3 ways for the rear. - $250 (Best Buy)

10) Seats. I used a set from a 91' Toyota Celica GT, those or something with more support and comfort than the old ones is really a good idea for a daily driver. - $30-$150 (Pick-a-Part)

11) Tires. if staying with stock rims (Which if your not, let me know, I like the rims you have) go to a 185/70r13 tire. If you want better rubber adn bigger tires, a 1985 BMW 318i Rim fits perfectly (and come in 13 and 14"), the 14" Aluminum "bottlecap" rims are readily availble at most Pick-a-Parts for about $5-10 each. A good find will include 195/60r14 tires on them. - $100 (Pick-a-Part Tires and Rims) or at TireRack.com they have a nice set of Sport Edition D5 rims with a set of 195/60r14 Sumitomo HTR200s , mounted and balanced for under $400.

12) Shocks. If they are stock, I would replace the shocks now. Even if its with OEM style shocks. More than likely the current ones are very worn or will fail once you start driving the car daily due to the seals giving out. - $160

13) Wiring problems. It's quite easy to rewire the whole car. With the EZwiring harness and a few misc. parts. You can have a modern wiring harness, with no electrical ghosts. Modern fuses, relays, etc... - $200

14) Window rubber. If your getting the car painted, get new rubber. It will save the paint and save your car from getting future rust due to leaky window rubber. $450

15) Paint - Here is where I would remove the chrome and studs (unless they are in good shape right now). I would also repaint it witht he rallye hood, etc.. - $800

16) Clutch. If it has one and the mileage is high. Better to do it now, than have everything done and then have to invest in it. (I have a new set (Pressure Plate/Clutch Disc/Throw-out bearing - Pilot Bearing you can get at a local parts store, it fits a Ford 2.8L I believe) for $175.

Your car definately is a better starting point than my sons car. With less than $4000, you could have a nice modern daily driver. Not that expensive if you take it in small pieces.. You could also just do the safety issues right now and do each other part as you have time and money.

·
530 Posts
Congrats on joining "Team Manta!" I hope you'll enjoy your Manta, as I sure enjoy mine! They are distinctive, attractive, reliable, and affordable cars, and your early Manta Rallye is quite desireable. Given the car's origin, I would say to keep it stock for my two cents, including the great Stratos Blue color. Being a Rallye from the beginning is a plus, and should you ever decide to part with it (I know, perish the thought but you never know) stock collectible cars do tend to hold their value better (unless REALLY tricked out ala Coddington, Trempanier, et. al.). But, you're probably not in teis for the money or you wouldn't be getting into an Opel, it is for the kick you get out of the car itself. That being said, it's your car, do what your gut tells you.

As far as parts, I've gotten some for my Mantas from Charles (Goin Manta)
and USA Opel ( http://justwebit.com/members/39011/ ). Both offered good service.

For a more local source, I'm not sure where you are in Michigan, but check with Don McLean (dcm013) in the greater Detroit area. He has a TON of Opel parts he helped save from the scrap heap, is knowledgeable about Opels, owns a Manta himself, and is a REALLY nice guy.

If you need technical help, this list has a lot of folks & forums to help, including Bill Hoffman who really knows Opels well and has a couple of Mantas.

If your Manta is up and cruising by Septemeber, consider coming to the Route 66 Fest in Springfield, Illinois. Opel owners from across the midwest have gathered there the past few years, and it is a great event to get to know Opel folks and hang out in a really cool setting. I attended for the first time last year, and will certainly be back this year.

Good luck with your project!
-Jeff W
'73 Manta
'74 Manta Parts Car
'75 Manta

·
7,517 Posts
manta73wi said:
As far as parts, I've gotten some for my Mantas from Charles (Goin Manta)
and USA Opel ( http://justwebit.com/members/39011/ ). Both offered good service.

-Jeff W
'73 Manta
'74 Manta Parts Car
'75 Manta
Jeff your too kind.. I am slow as crap and I know it and apologize for it. Primarily its due to where I source the parts from, but its also the fact I get distracted and forget to ship orders occasionally when I get busy. But I do try to respond at least and am honest about the fact.

The main thing I do is get most parts, trim and sheetmetal for the Manta. IN NOS, or New conditon from Germany, and other sources. The hardest parts to get for the Manta are U.S. model specific parts.

I normally do not sell mechanical parts, or used parts. I don't have much of an inventory on them. I leave that for Opels USA, OU, and Opel GT Source.

as for your car, I have to agree with Jeff, if this is a car to play with and show. Stock is your best bet.. this is one of the Mantas that will definately hold thier value and it would be a shame to see it modified.

My sons' Manta is going the other direction.. for numerous reasons.

1) Other than it is the earliest 74' on record. A possible pre-production run version built in June of 73, making it a 73'. But it has big bumpers, 3 point seat belts, and even a 74' Emissions tag on the hood. Given that, it really is nothing special, a Luxus model with few Luxus parts left on it. Now it will be special, because of sentimental reasons though.

2) Engine was already modified

3) It was just short of heading for the junkyard due to rust

4) My son is going to daily drive it..

Compare that to my Blue Max.

1) Mostly complete and original

2) Rare Blue Max edition (Sunroof, Automatic, etc..)

3) Low rust (High on dings though)

4) I will keep it as a garage queen

It will be restored to a 100 point car.

Charles

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks guys, what about the interior and exterior of the car (sorry, as much as some of you seem to want me to keep it stock, i wont). the plan right now is to get the car repainted in the strato blue again (that color is just wicked), and i am really not sure what else to do with it, so what ideas do you guys have for it?

thanks

John

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
have some ideas for the manta, what are good ideas and bad ones?

cold air intake
schneider cam
holley 350 cfm carb
exhaust
fix body (pretty obvious)
paint (again, pretty obvious)
stereo (already bought system)

·
7,517 Posts
bottles said:
have some ideas for the manta, what are good ideas and bad ones?

cold air intake
schneider cam
holley 350 cfm carb
exhaust
fix body (pretty obvious)
paint (again, pretty obvious)
stereo (already bought system)
Intake is easy enough to do using the Manta Air Cleaner.. If staying downdraft, you will want to modify and port the intake as well.

A Cam isnt a bad idea, but you need the motor to be equal. Flat top pistons would come before cam IMHO. Ditto on Holley, you would need a 2.0L or larger to handle that much flow. Not to mention bigger valves, etc..

Exhaust is good.. custom 2" from collector pipe to the rear, 2.5" over axle. Again need this to go witht he intake, and engine mods.

Are you planning on a full rebuild or just want more punch from the motor the way it sits.

Charles

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
i have the schneider 290H regrind and i love it in my little low compression motor.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i am not going to do an engine rebuild on it because i am going to start a project fuel injection turbo motor, but would like to have an engine that has some power for now...

·
Opeler
754 Posts
Thanks for the plug, Jeff! I'm in Troy, MI - if you're close let me know, bottles. I do have a bunch of Manta stuff I picked up last summer from Lee Johnston.
Don

·
Super Moderator
13,875 Posts
You could get the Holley 350 to work on a stock engine, but it is rather large (38 DGAS is 330 cfm). You'll need to rework the idle circuit in the metering block and the power valve feeds, but that's just a matter of some epoxy and some small drill bits. An aftermarket throttle cable and a fabricated throttle linkage bracket are easily adapted. Transdapt makes a carb adapter for a 2.0 Pinto engine which readily adapts a Holley 2-bbl to an Opel intake manifold, so you're set there.

Watch out with the camshaft choice....stock valve springs may bind if the lift exceeds .435" or so.

Bob

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks for the advice bob, was wondering what kind of duration and lift i should look for for good torque at about 2500 RPM and still have a good increase in horsepower?

i am near kalamazoo dcm013 (sorry, dont know your name). ill see what all i need and send you a PM.

Thanks

John

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
well the manta is here safely and stephen had no problems getting here, i hope he got back home just as easy. the manta is in great shape and was nice to see the excitement on johns face as the old man "boys the car is here!" in a 24 hours time period we've managed to put a pertronix unit on it, weber-ize it, fixed alot of rather simple electrical problems, oil/filter, cap/rotor, and fixed a heater hose that blew, changed the grille, cleaned the window, he can see through the glass now!!! its gone maybe 15 or 20 miles today, by my best guess. i for one am really warmed up to the manta now, calvin started passing me the bug one day this summer but driving it is completely different. as i diehard GT fan i will say the manta seems to be a much more robust built car, the doors and trunk shut better, it dont seem so cheap and chinsey. within the next few day me and john will get pics of his car up as he cleans it out besides the one of his rear tired smoking as bad as a ford :D , i imagine he'll be driving it as a daily driver within the next week or two. needs new tires and replacement of most hoses, and clean some grounds a little better.

was glad to have the opportunity to meet stephen and talk opels to one more knowlegable than myself. i like to listen and learn and do not think he could have been more honest in representation of the car/ parts me and john got from him last night, really great guy.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
looks like jared beat me to it as far as telling about the car, hey jared you forgot about the oil and the ditch, needs some body work and a new paint job, you can hear the exhaust from a mile away, and the tires are going to need change, but i should have it up and running in a few weeks like he said. how about that for a run on sentence?

pic of my manta smokin some tire
http://www.opelgt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6025

John

1 - 17 of 17 Posts