Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
1971 GT
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have this nos air filter which I believe is for a Solex from a GT. I've never had a Solex on my GT so I want to be sure it is a Solex filter before I offer it for sale. It's in a GM parts box and has item # G834252. Can anyone confirm this for me thanks. ( Hope this photo shows in the thread. )

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,765 Posts
That definitely looks like the GT air filter, but, it's just for the stock breather system. Some members out there have the stock breather system, but have an adaptor and are running a weber in place of the solex, but, your filter can be used. Good luck selling it.

·
4ZUA787
665 Posts
you can also buy the air filter from gt source. i run the stock air cleaner set-up since i think it looks cool and i have an adapter so i can use it on my weber and unlike some jobs ive seen done were tehy smash down the top of the air filter assembly to make it fit i cut off the little 1/2 inch strip and then fabricated some clips to hold it down.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Instead of cutting off the strip at the bottom of the solex snorkel to make it clear the hood, has anyone tried machining some of the aluminum of of the bottom of the adaptor? If you look at the carb with just the adaptor on it, there is room to make the adaptor a little shorter

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
The Long & Short of It ...

There is a short and a long Weber to OEM air intake adaptor. The short one has to have a bit ground out of it to clear the choke blade and the taller one has a small "W" cast onto the top of it. These were originally designed for BMWs - believe it or not ..........

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Away!

Bo,
More: "How far away is it?"
The one I have is a tall one and it is 8km away in my workshop ........ it is the same one that is listed in the Parts Review section.

·
Bo Know's '69's
255 Posts
I hate it when shipping charges are 3 times the value of the item.

Bo

·
Registered
127 Posts
Just put primer on the last part of the original air filter assembly and I havent layed it out inside the car yet. I was wondering, what holds the assembly in place? I havnt seen any mounting brackets on it besides the clamp that clamps on the adaptor. Is there another part that holds the assembly in place?

·
Opeler
128 Posts
Will not fit all GTs

This filter may fit some GT's but it will not fit all of them. I have the kind that is not replaceable.

Bob

·
199 Posts
With a bolt.. :rolleyes: ....... through the bottom of the air cleaner canister, the part that houses the filter, to a pedestal on the wheel well. The pedestal looks like a small stop sign with threads in it.

hth
Brian

·
Vendor
3,053 Posts
Matt M240Z said:
Does anyone know how the stock air filter assembly mounts in the car?
Hi Matt,
This is how I did mine.
Get 2 GT muffler "donuts" (Available from OpelGTSource.com for ~ $3.5 each) one donut goes on the inner fender bracket where the mounting hole is, and the other goes inside the air cleaner housing. This serves as a pretty effective vibration dampener, to keep down the rattles.
You also need a 8mm X 1.25 thread bolt around 40 mm long from the base of the bolt head, and a split washer. Use a large (~2 3/4") washer to clamp eveything down from inside the air cleaner housing.
Also, definitely take a look at the K&N air filters. A little pricey, but they last almost forever.
Ron in Indy

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Two types ...

nbrcrnchr said:
This filter may fit some GT's but it will not fit all of them. I have the kind that is not replaceable. Bob
The earlier 69/70 GT air filters had an oiled mesh fixed insert in them instead of the later paper element - found that out by shipping one of the earlier ones all the way out here! There is little doubt that the Opel paper element filter housing with a K&N element inside it is one of the very best air filter systems for the Solex or Weber downdraft carb. THe 'pancake' filters that bolt on to the top of Webers just get their hot air from the engine compartment but the original filter draws most of its air from in front of the radiator bulkhead - much cooler AND maybe at a little higher pressure too.

Just as the GT body was tested in the Stuttgart University wind tunnel - the original air filter housing obviously received a bit of air flow attention too.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts