Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Opeling since 1991!
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If the GT were produced and sold as a new car today, what would it sell for?

Take into account that it would have more modern mechanical components and obviously a computer for everything. The body might look a little bit different, but generally be the same.

I personally think that the car would sell in a dealership for ~16k-18k range.

· Registered
109 Posts
It would be different, mostly for safety reasons though. The gas tank area would be changed, as would air bags in the dash and the body would most likely be fiberglass and the motor FI. I'm guessing the only real change to the body that would be needed would be that it would be wider. The brakes would be upgraded tremendously as well and it would have power steering.

My estimate, $21-23k. A little higher than yours simply because it's a German automobile.

· Super Moderator
15,241 Posts
Much more than you think guys. The DM was very weak in the early '70's, one reason why Opel 'went away' was that (for example) from 1971-1975 a Manta price nearly doubled yet it was the same car! I seem to recall that a GT sold for about 10,000 DM in Germany in the early '70's, which is about $16,000 or more today! Not accounting for inflation or for emissions or crash updates, plus general amenities....

Probably in this day and age it'd be about $35k.

Bob

· Registered
305 Posts
My guesstimate would be that GM would base price the new GT around 18-19 thousand and by the time you add any goodies to it the price would be closer to 30 thousand. Been noticing a lot of television commercials lately where the base price is under 20 grand but reading the fine print at the end of the ad and the price is at least 10 grand more for the vehicle shown in the ad. Then don't forget that if the new GT takes off the dealership will mark it up another couple grand just because they can (just like they did for the Miata and the new Thunderbird). So all in all probably around the mid-thirties like Bob said.
Jeff Pozorski
73 Manta

· 70's Opeler, back 4 more!
398 Posts
How about we look at a similar vehicle that went through similar mutations over the years, the Porsche 911. Current price of a 911 Targa is USA $76,000 and the shape is roughly the same as it was 40 years ago.

The original 911 was powered by an air-cooled, 2.0 liter, six-cylinder, boxer engine with overhead camshafts and two carburetors. In the first available version, the 911 produced 130 horsepower at 6100 rpm. With a top speed of 130 mph, it was at the time the fastest Porsche standard ever. It went from 0 to 62 mph in 9.1 seconds. Outstanding performance for a 2.0-liter sports car 40 years ago.

You can read the rest of the comparisons at
http://www2.us.porsche.com/english/usa/911/40years2/pcna/past-present/default.htm

So, if you add all the upgrades that time has brought the auto industry, it looks like Bob might right on if not a bit shy on price. The thing to keep in mind also is that sales declined due the lack of performance, so there would have had to have been serious upgrades here.

· 1450 Seeker...
613 Posts
In all honesty I think the Opel Speedster is the current day GT. If you were to overlook the fact that the Speedster is really a targa and not a coupe, okay they moved the engine to the back too, but I think my point is clear. Lightweight construction, spartan amenities, and all-in-all a driver's car.

And that car would sell stateside for more than $40,000

This is a topic that could be debated to an extreme length, so I will try to keep my comments concise (I have the ability to counter-argue myself for days). If a "2005 GT" were to hit the market and target the same demographic that the original GT was aimed for, it would have to be in the sub $20,000 range, with few options. That being said, the closest car that I am aware of in recent hsitory, is the Honda CRX, only that didn't have the styling that the GT has...

hmmm... so my question to the group is... What current or recent car could be considered a "Modern GT". Meeting the criteria of lightweight, highly stylized, coupe and a sporting car.

Maybe the Nissan 350ZX? Bear with me here. It could be argued that the original Datsun Z was an evolution of the GT. Even though the Z was striving to be the common man's Toyota 2000GT, many people compared it with our GT. Now, there is absolutely no denying the heritage of the new 350ZX, its roots go straight to the bone. So, since the 240Z was so close to the GT, and the latest 350ZX traces its lineage directly to the 240, I therefore nominate the 350ZX as the "Closest-modern-car-to-the-original-GT".

Which brings me back to the price issue. The Z car has nudged its way upmarket with each reincarnation. and is now planted in the mid $30's, a price that is out of reach for the target demographic of the GT.

I think I just talked myself into a circle. I also failed miserable at keeping this concise.

· Member 1000 Post Club
1,521 Posts
I would have voted for a 1st or 2nd gen RX-7 or maybe a Miata. The 350Z is too over the top to be the "Next" GT. I don't think there is a "GT" in the MY 2004 line up. Remember the GTs roots are from the EconoBox segment of the market. There's my 2 cents...

Paul

· Senior Contributor
730 Posts
And here's a thought! They might have downsized it. :eek: Instead of a wider & firmer wheelbase with more power, it could have went to the Neon-type car. A 3 banger that looks good but power is set for "economy" and sounds like a wild sewing machine on the highway. :p

· 1450 Seeker...
613 Posts
Paul said:
I would have voted for a 1st or 2nd gen RX-7 or maybe a Miata. The 350Z is too over the top to be the "Next" GT. I don't think there is a "GT" in the MY 2004 line up. Remember the GTs roots are from the EconoBox segment of the market. There's my 2 cents...

Paul
I seriously considered the Miata as my vote, but the MG and Triumph guys have already championed that car as their descendent.

The early RX-7 are definite contenders for the crown, however the RX-8 is too far off the mark (but is a nice car that I wouldn't mind having in my garage).

· 70's Opeler, back 4 more!
398 Posts
In all the history I've read, the Datsun 240Z was the car that put the GT out of business due to the lack of power of the GT and the extra power of the 240Z.

BTW. I witnessed over 70 highway patrol and local cops chasing a 240Z east bound on Interstate 44 in Missouri back in 1980. It was like watching Real TV or Cops in person. I found out later the guy had robbed a liquor store about 50 miles away and was heading toward St.Louis to escape. They had towed the car to a local station and I was able to talk with one of the local cops about it. The guy had reached speeds in excess of 140mph. The cops had tried a rolling road block and this guy drove into the median and around them at over 100 mph. They ended up shooting the car's tires out and pushing him off the road. The result was a 240Z with a compact backend. Never did find out what happened to the guy.

· Registered
109 Posts
My son has a third gen RX7 and it certainly is far more performance minded than a GT ever was. any generation of RX7 is a bad comparison imo for that matter.

I was thinking more along the lines of staying close to original rather than comparing it to a modern day car. If I had to compare, then i'd probably go with something along the lines of another German car, possibly a BMW Z3 or Z4.

My $.02

· Opeler
89 Posts
I think it'd be more comparable to the Pontiac Solstice.

I really think the Opel GT today would be something akin to the new Solstice. Price range, target market, etc. 4cyl, Rwd, etc. I think the Solstice is supposed to start in the Low 20's.

Dollar for dollar, the hottest car slated for 2006, in my opinion. I've already started my Solstice rat hole, waiting until it comes out and the new wears off, maybe until they offer factory turbos, then we'll talk.

· 1450 Seeker...
613 Posts
I think the Solstice will be a great car for Pontiac. But I would rather spend my dollar on a car that weighs *less* than 3,000 lbs.

If you think about it, that makes it about 50% heavier than a GT and would therefore require a 100% increase in HP's to maintain the same rate of acceleration (aerodynamic and parasitic loss improvements notwithstanding).

So, here I am again, having talked myself into a circle and coming to the realization that the Solstice is indeed the next GT. Great styling, underwhelming powerplant and dodgy handling, but a great car that will be inexpensive to buy.

If only the Solstice was *lighter*

If only the GT came with swaybars...

· OPEL-LESS!!!
2,111 Posts
imagine if they made a new GT, or even just brought opel back to america, we might actually be able to get parts locally...without ordering!!!! probably not but its nice to think so anyway.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.