Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1969 Opel Gt 1.9 Automatic
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would get a 1969 1.9L with a 4 speed. The color would either be silver with a red interior, or forest green with a dark tan interior.

What would your combination be?

Sam

·
Detroit,where my home was
2,964 Posts
Monza blue 1.9 S, auto trans, deluxe trim, tan interior and steel sport rims.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I purchased a '70 GT new (well, almost -- it had been used as a demonstrator). It was a 1.9 with four-speed, in chartreuse with standard black interior. Always liked that car. When I went looking for the "replacement" a few years ago, two requirements were for the 1.9 engine and four-speed gearbox. After the bodywork was finished, I had it sprayed in Ferrari Light Yellow (FLY). The original color was silver.

·
1,748 Posts
I was one of the lucky few who purchased a brand new Opel GT in 1973. It was red with black interior, 1.9L 4 speed of course. Only option was rear window defrost. List price was a little better than $3800.00. Drove it until 1980, so a lot of memories. Would love to find it still lives, but chances are it gave life to others.

·
Registered
1970 Opel Gt - Purchased July 1972 - Chartreuse - restored - 3000 miles as of 02-16, 2021 -
585 Posts
When I purchased my GT in 1972. a 70 model, it was Chartreuse with a black interior. While I like the bright colors on a GT I don't like the black interior as much as I did when I was a kid, why because you really can't see the detail like you can on a tan interior. I think the green and tan is a great combination.

·
Can Opeler
3,462 Posts
A 69 silver 1.1L with red interior. I’d also add the special order front and rear sway bar and the dealer installed buick CB radio.

Reactions: Young Gt Lover

·
Registered
1969 Opel Gt 1.9 Automatic
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A 69 silver 1.1L with red interior. I’d also add the special order front and rear sway bar and the dealer installed buick CB radio.
Could you get the sway bars in the USA?

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
2,485 Posts
Depends on why I bought it. For investment, a 1968 production 1.1L GT in silver metallic with a red interior. Never driven or even registered.

That’s not fun though. So to drive and improve, I’d buy an early production ‘73 in Strato Blue with black interior with the rear window defrost option. I’d eventually swap out the rear axle for one with the rear sway bar. I’d put a ZF 5 speed in it with a ZF lsd. I’d get a 2.2L and swap the head for a cross flow head. I’d get a replacement hood to move the teardrop to the driver side because of the cross flow head. ATS classic rims, staggered with 7” up front and 8” in back.

I’d have a unique GT with the best of everything Opel ever did.

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
2,485 Posts
The was deluxe trim? I have a Monza blue 1970 with buskskin interior.

Karl
In the US, we only had the deluxe interior. There was a basic, black interior for the European market. The basic interior is what the GT/J has. So no perforated vinyl and no clock.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
I'd buy a 1970 Chartreuse 1.9 4 speed black interior. In 1975 I bought one like that used, as my first car, and always loved the looks. It was totaled when an idiot made a left turn in front of me in an intersection. RIP little Opel.

·
Opeler
1,489 Posts
I bought a new 1973 GT, white with black interior. I would have preferred a yellow one, but Opel had already announced the end of the GT and the dealer said that he likely would not receive any more new ones, so I took the white one that he had in stock. Repainted it in GM Metallic Dark Garnet Red color much later.

·
Opeler
3,082 Posts
1st and 2nd GTs' were Fire Glow Orange with black interior.
Current GT is Rallye Gold (Rally Gold) with buckskin interior.

When I tried to sell my two Fire Glow GTs' in 2000, buyers in California were not interested due to minor rust issues. One was dismantled for parts, and other was sold as rolling chassis without engine, suspension, driveline, and interior.

Looking back, I enjoyed each GT, but should have purchased a Chevrolet or GMC pickup truck.
Gas mileage would have been worst, but would have more interior and cargo space.
Who would have figured that resale value would be better on a truck instead of an Opel?

Young minds that grow old in body only.
Still, I like my Opel GT.

·
Super Moderator
8,201 Posts
I’d get a 2.2L and swap the head for a cross flow head. I’d get a replacement hood to move the teardrop to the driver side because of the cross flow head.
Crossflow heads with a downdraft? Why? Remove the bump. Conversation starter among Opel people as to why your GT doesn't have a bump. :sneaky:

Harold

·
Super Moderator
13,792 Posts
Crossflow heads with a downdraft? Why? Remove the bump. Conversation starter among Opel people as to why your GT doesn't have a bump. :sneaky:

Harold
Plus they never made a downdraft manifold for the crossflow head. It was either twin DCOE’s or Kugelfischer mechanical injection. Those heads were Motorsports items only, they were never installed in production cars.

Reactions: hrcollinsjr

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
2,485 Posts
I guess that makes sense. My focus was just on the carbs being on the other side. Not that they would need to extra room. Just a different looking GT is what I was thinking.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts