Opel GT Forum banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
2,705 Posts
The only options I know of on 1.9’s in the US were the automatic transmission, white wall tires, dealer installed A/C, heated rear window, and ZF lsd. I’m not sure if the ZF 5 speed was an option.

·
Super Moderator
13,988 Posts
The only options I know of on 1.9’s in the US were the automatic transmission, white wall tires, dealer installed A/C, heated rear window, and ZF lsd. I’m not sure if the ZF 5 speed was an option.
The ZF LSD and ZF gearbox was not on the dealer option list when the cars were new. If you knew the part numbers, yes, you could have the dealer order them special, import them, and install them (or not). The ZF 5-speed was also late to the game, I believe it came out in ‘72 in Europe. It was also extremely expensive, even back then!

Reactions: Autoholic

·
165 Posts
Silver w/Red or Green w/Tan... both classic. The Rallye Orange w/Black is what I have so I am happy enough with that! 1970 w/Manual trans, of course

Reactions: Young Gt Lover

·
Super Moderator
13,988 Posts
The L in GT/AL stands for Luxus. Unless you have a 1.1L you have a Luxus Opel GT.
Or in Europe there was the GT/J, which was the stripped down version of the 1.9 GT.

·
Registered
853 Posts
I recall from my days in the Buick dealership that there was not much option ordering when it came to the Opel line. If someone wanted an Opel, they had the pick of what the dealer had on his lot, although the dealer might have been willing to see what other dealers had if someone wanted something special. But basically, the dealer received what the factory sent. Want a certain color? Better hope your dealer had one on his lot. Other than the dealer-installed air conditioning, the cars came either with the heated rear glass or not. Most of the GTs I saw from 1969-71 came over with the four-speed manual, very few that I recall came with automatic transmission.

·
Detritus Maximus
2,994 Posts
But they look sooo good in black...with a red interior.

Reactions: JudokaJohn

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
2,705 Posts
A detail that always bugged me, was the interior door handles on the GT. Doesn't matter what GT you got, same basic 1967 Rekord door handle on all of them. The Rekord L (Luxus) had the same plastic chrome strip found on the door panel also in the groove of the door handle. I think the GT/AL should have come with this added plastic chrome on the door handle. The GT/A and GT/J would not have it. But, I haven't seen a GT interior with this so maybe it looked bad?

·
Registered
853 Posts
I know, kind of a shame.
Back then, as I recall, black was a brutal color to repair, discouraging manufacturers from offering it. This was so even as recently as the 1990s. I once had a 1993 black-on-black BMW 535 that found its way into the hands of a thief who did some damage to the car before abandoning it. The factory-trained repair shop that did only BMW work described for me his difficulty, in that, for that year, BMW had something life five different shades of black, all classified under one paint code. A real issue as well, going back to the 1950s and '60s, was that cars using enamel paint suffered from fade over time, so that repairs to a fender or door would stand out like the proverbial sore thumb unless the entire car was re-sprayed. One of the advantages General Motors touted was that their cars came from the factory with lacquer finish that did not fade, so that repair paint on a fender or door or other part could easily be feathered in without spraying the entire car. This did not apply to the Opel lineup that generally came in enamel, as did Ford products.

·
Detritus Maximus
2,994 Posts
When you said 'brutal', my first thought was you were going to talk about having a black car without a/c and most likely a black interior.
I left enough skin on the black vinyl of my old white GT!

Matching faded or patinaed paint has always been a 'black' art!
My parents had 66 Thunderbird painted years ago and they painter used urethane, I think, but did a top coat of lacquer for ease of touch up it ever needed it.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts