Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The ignition lock on my 1969 Opel Gt could do with replacing. Is the lock common to other Opel or Vauxhall models and are there any NOS available. Thanks

·
Opel Key Master
5,026 Posts
If it is a true 69 with the fixed collar next to the instrument panel and the high beam activation with the stem button on the end, the ignition cylinder is unique compared to 70-73GT Just depends on what you have. Does it not turn right? Is it as simple as worn keys, incorrectly cut/ground keys?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it is a true 69 with the fixed collar next to the instrument panel and the high beam activation with the stem button on the end, the ignition cylinder is unique compared to 70-73GT Just depends on what you have. Does it not turn right? Is it as simple as worn keys, incorrectly cut/ground keys?
Hi thanks for replying. Car was manufactured on the 23rd January 1969 and the fixed collar is next to the instrument panel with the high beam stem on the opposite side. The issue is that at times the key won't turn in the lock which I guess is down to general wear. The key appears to be original so its probably to be expected. Looks like it won't be a quick fix and that I will need to try to source a replacement used ignition lock that is in better condition if there is one out there? Thanks again for your reply

·
Registered
547 Posts
the key won't turn in the lock which I guess is down to general wear. The key appears to be original so its probably to be expected.
If they key is worn, you could get a new key cut, that might help.

You can get your numeric key profile off of the inside of the door handle mechanism.

Keith has a key cutter that can cut a key back to new using that number, not just clone an existing key.

Perhaps the pins are worn (especially if you'd been fiddling with it for a months/years) but, a new key is a lot cheaper and easier than a new ignition lock.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Matt how do I get in contact with Kieth. I have got the number on the ignition barrel and would like to get a new key cut before taking the lock to an auto electrician. I have spoken with an Auto Electrician who has said that if an overhaul kit is available he could sort the lock out but I assume that these kits are no longer available? He mentioned that if he could fit new wafers he could also cut a new key to suit the lock. Thanks for your previous reply. Brian

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi thanks for replying. Car was manufactured on the 23rd January 1969 and the fixed collar is next to the instrument panel with the high beam stem on the opposite side. The issue is that at times the key won't turn in the lock which I guess is down to general wear. The key appears to be original so its probably to be expected. Looks like it won't be a quick fix and that I will need to try to source a replacement used ignition lock that is in better condition if there is one out there? Thanks again for your reply
Hi I now understand that you are the person to speak to about keys and locks. Should have guessed from your forum name. How do I order a key to be cut and what is the cost of cutting a new key and sending it to me in the UK? Also do you have any kits for repairing the ignition lock? When you push the key into the barrel it doesn't always allow the lock to push down to disengage the steering lock metal lug and allow the key to be turned. I have the number from the barrel of the ignition. Thanks Brian

1 - 8 of 8 Posts