Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh Labor Day weekend - Drunken stupors abound, and now I'm left without keys. The part was replaced a few years ago, so it does not match the VIN.

It's a 96 Toyota Tacoma.

Wondering if I remove my ignition switch from the steering column, will there be a parts number or something similar to the idea of a VIN situation where I can take it to the dealership.

Or, could I take the part to a locksmith where they'll have a skeleton key and can make a new key?

Basically, for a locksmith to come out they want to charge $200. If I can get it done for $50 or less, it's worth the effort.

Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
1,802 Posts
If the ignition switch is not origional you have the choice of either buying a new switch with keys or getting a key made, and usually you can't get the switch apart without a key. Maybe tow your truck to the locksmith to save a few $, but you're probably SOL.

·
Opeler
31 Posts
You should be able to get a replacement ignition lock cylinder w/ keys from your local Toyota dealer for about $100. Or a complete matching lock set for the whole truck (ign,doors, etc.) for around $200-250 depending on what model Tacoma you have.

·
Registered
103 Posts
If your car is a one key car(same key for doors and ign.) then just take the door panel off and remove the door lock so that a key can be made to that.Otherwise go to an Auto wrecker and get a complete steering column with keys,see if they have the matching door locks also!.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts