Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got to looking and of the 4 spare columns all had problems, mostly the ignition switches. I decided to see what was possible in fixing one. I started by removing the two hollow rivets on the outside edge.

Attachments

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The white piece to the right was broken on this one and needed to be epoxied back together as well as cleaned up. Once back together I found that metric hollow rivets are kinda rare. I went with a ferrul sleeve for plastic pipe in the closest sizes. Both ends were opened up with jewelers files for them to fit and the main body could be drilled to match. After getting them fitted I removed the cut wiring loop with my favorite soldering iron.

Attachments

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Once the contact points are all clean I regreased them with bosch switch lube and continued on. First in is the lower cam disc noting that the little "L" shaped finger was intact and oriented correctly I put the detent bearings in the holes for them.

Attachments

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
meanwhile I cut the ferrul sleeves down to roughly 2 mm past the cast housing. I then put in the contact actuator and the springs for the small detent ball bearings.

Attachments

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
From here I slotted the ferrul sleeves at 4 points to help with making them bend over and lock it all in place. I also installed the phenalic spacer above the springs and positioned the switch contacts in place.

Attachments

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Next while holding it all tight the ferrule sleeves were bent over to lock it in like original. Next is to make up a wiring loom for it and call it a spare. Total cost so far is 68 cents.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
nobody said:
Next while holding it all tight the ferrule sleeves were bent over to lock it in like original. Next is to make up a wiring loom for it and call it a spare. Total cost so far is 68 cents.
Fantasitc photos and procedure- I am sending you 42 Opel switches and I'll pay you $1.00 a piece to repair them. :D :cool:

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got the sleeves from Ace hardware as thier 2 smallest sizes. The Bosch switch lube I got from a bug shop many years ago.

Baronbors.....the dark liquid stuff that hopefully stayed in the envelope is the switch lube.

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
pretty neato dave, that 1970FSM looks pretty familiar too ;)

·
Registered
39 Posts
When I bought our Opel the key start didn't work and the PO had wired a starter button under the steering colum. So when you want to start it, you turn the switch on and then pres the starter button. Will this repair you are shoing fix my ignition switch?

Parker

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Parker, et al this is a hard core one that I've been debating and botched before. I wanted to show that it can be done and how. First rule on it is no power tools, jewelers pliers and files are about it. The little L piece breaks easy if the switch is forced as does the hard plastic contact area and the mounting ears for it. Be careful and work slowly and you can fix them. If you succeed then go to the parts section for an Otto start so you don't have to do it again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts