Opel GT Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Well, I'm holding the distributor in my hand now....and after a closer inspection I can see it's a little out of round. Sort of warped just slightly on the side of the vacuum advance. Bends outward a little bit. I guess the metal compufire caps are machined quite exact compared to standard plastic distributor cap. Never noticed or had a problem before.

Anyone have a spare, late model distributor they want to sell (or even trade) ??? This one works perfect, just not good enough for a compufire cap.

·
Opeler
89 Posts
Sorry to bump up an old thread.. I have a 1970 GT and was wanting to know if it was necessary to replace the distributor with a 71 or later version to get the cap to fit properly. Just trying to figure out how nasty of a job it would be before i make the decision to go with a Compufire DIS-IX or Petronix.

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
Two types of disti caps!

slartybarfast said:
Sorry to bump up an old thread.. I have a 1970 GT and was wanting to know if it was necessary to replace the distributor with a 71 or later version to get the cap to fit properly. Just trying to figure out how nasty of a job it would be before i make the decision to go with a Compufire DIS-IX or Petronix.
Check post #19 of this thread first . . . you know there are TWO types of caps, right?

·
Super Moderator
5,968 Posts
tekenaar said:
Check post #19 of this thread first . . . you know there are TWO types of caps, right?
Otto, do you happen to have a pair of caps that you could post a photo of side by side? And maybe even photos of the distributor differences (although your illustration in post #19 is QUITE illustrative!)? Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
Late vs. early distributor caps

kwilford said:
Otto, do you happen to have a pair of caps that you could post a photo of side by side? And maybe even photos of the distributor differences (although your illustration in post #19 is QUITE illustrative!)? Thanks!
The late cap's locator fits into the distributor, the early cap is relieved to fit over the locating tab. Looking at the rim of the late caps, you'll see a rectangular protrusion which is used to locate it with the mating notch of the distributor. Looking at the rim of an early cap, it will have a rectangular notch that locates the cap by aligning with the distributor tab. Don't know how to make it any clearer than that.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
slartybarfast said:
I'm VERY pleased with the CompuFire. Since I installed it in April I havn't touched the timing.

If you get the CompuFire and have any questions about installing, let us know. It's still fresh in my mind. The slight "modifications" were actually very simple. Nothing more then flipping 2 ignition wires (technically a label issue on the module) and after setting the timing to TDC #1 on the distributor, you rotate it to fire on #3. (I actually had the pull the distributor out and rotate it on the teeth so vacuum canister had enough room to clear the head while setting up the timing.)

But overall it's really not a big deal.

~kyle

·
Opeler
89 Posts
Ideal location

What the Ideal Location for the Coil Compufires coil pack on the GT... looking at it the thing is is probably to big to to fit where the stock one is.. so it looks like there are two options 1) you probably could use the stock coil mounting holes and rotate it so its backwards (the front of the pack towards the fender).. or 2) drill a few holes and it where the windshield washer tank is. Just checking to see what others have done and how it worked out..

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
It MUST be mounted vertically or it will over heat. I mounted it above and to the left of the clutch cable housing.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Yes always stand the coil straight up! You'd be surprised at how hot they can get, somehow laying them down makes them hotter! Having seen so many coil failures (I suspect sustained high RPM causes it?) on my car I went an extra step and routed a 4" duct hose from the grille opening back to the coil area. Couldn't hurt, anything to prevent a DNF!!

21 - 29 of 29 Posts