Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Member
Joined
·
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to ease out the clutch to stop car. I have replaced the ignition switch and have same results, so I assume the problem is Somewhere else. At least now I know I have a good spare ignition switch :) .

I have searched the forums but have not seen any threads on this. Can anybody give me a push in the right direction to troubleshoot this?

Thanks, Mark
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
534 Posts
After you "switch-off", does the engine keep running at normal idle speed, or does it run erratically for a few seconds (dieseling) and then finally stops?
 

·
Member
Joined
·
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
gr_diver said:
After you "switch-off", the engine keeps running normally at idle speed, or does it run erratically for a few seconds (dieseling) and then finally stops?
Keeps running at idle speed. All Electronics still fucntion, as well. Kinda neat when I am going into a store for a minute or two... take the key out, car stays running... lock the door.

The turn of the key back to the home postion has absolutely no effect on the running car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
534 Posts
You have propably some misconnection or short at the low-voltage side of the ignition that feeds the coil. I remember somebody describing this and he found out that he had misconnected the resistor cable in the fusebox after cleaning it out (the fusebox).

Hope this helps
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
5,928 Posts
Does this GT have an "Otto Start" (relay to take the load off the ignition switch contacts)? If so, maybe the relay has stuck closed.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,842 Posts
I'd be looking at replacing the starter, or to check it take the two spade terminals off and see if that stops the run on.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
5,928 Posts
nobody said:
I'd be looking at replacing the starter, or to check it take the two spade terminals off and see if that stops the run on.
More precisely, the solenoid. As Dave suggests, the solenoid has a "bypass" circuit that provides a direct 14 volts when cranking to the coil (bypasses the resistor wire) that COULD possibly be shorted out inside the solenoid.
 

·
Member
Joined
·
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
kwilford said:
More precisely, the solenoid. As Dave suggests, the solenoid has a "bypass" circuit that provides a direct 14 volts when cranking to the coil (bypasses the resistor wire) that COULD possibly be shorted out inside the solenoid.
Wouldn't that keep the starter cranking though?

No Otto Start installed. I have purchased one but have not yet installed it.

Also, since the Ignition switch DOES affect the electronics properly when engine is NOT running.... (ie... I turn swtich to Home, the power to gauges, radio, etc... IS removed) does this make any difference in your suggestions?

Thanks for all the replies.
Mark
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,842 Posts
No that just confirms what I already said, and Keith elaborated on.
 

·
Member
Joined
·
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK. So I will check the solenoid for this short. Is there a method for measuring for this current that would verify this?

Thanks, Mark
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,842 Posts
Ok one more time, while the key is off and the motor runs on pull the 2 spade plugs from the starter. It's quick and easy. If it shuts off you have found your problem.
 

·
Member
Joined
·
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry I missed that earlier post. Will do.

Thanx
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
5,298 Posts
OttoStart . . .

kwilford said:
Does this GT have an "Otto Start" (relay to take the load off the ignition switch contacts)? If so, maybe the relay has stuck closed.
If that happened, the starter would stay engaged . . . it has nothing to do with the ignition staying on separately!
 

·
Opeler
Joined
·
101 Posts
pull white plug from ignition switch, see if that works.. pulling the spades on starter solenoid will not work... that for starting the engine only.
 

·
Member
Joined
·
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Turbo X said:
pull white plug from ignition switch, see if that works.. pulling the spades on starter solenoid will not work... that for starting the engine only.
Well, now I am thoroughly confused. I will try both things and who knows, maybe I will learn something.

Thanks, Mark
 

·
Opeler
Joined
·
101 Posts
question.. when you put you key switch together did you have ignition cam set right.. it can be off by one and still work but no off. the key has 4 position , #1- key pull out #2 off- no power, #3 run-power on, #4 start..

I have a key switch in front of me and i can set the cam 1 click off and still pull the key and start position , but only have 2 positions , run and start..
 

·
Member
Joined
·
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Turbo X said:
question.. when you put you key switch together did you have ignition cam set right.. it can be off by one and still work but no off. the key has 4 position , #1- key pull out #2 off- no power, #3 run-power on, #4 start..

I have a key switch in front of me and i can set the cam 1 click off and still pull the key and start position , but only have 2 positions , run and start..
I have 4 positions. I changed entire steering column for other reasons. Both Ignition Keyswitches "work" the same. I have 1). Home... No power to anything, key goes in and out. 2...No power, key will not go in or out... 3... Power to car.... 4 Power to Starter.

My condition is that AFTER (and only after) car is started, Positions 1 and 2 act JUST LIKE postion 3.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
5,928 Posts
tekenaar said:
If that happened, the starter would stay engaged . . . it has nothing to do with the ignition staying on separately!
OH yea, unless you do what I am planning and install a second relay to "run" the car with the ignition "on". It takes the current load off the "run" contacts on the ignition switch. I guess I was kinda thinking ahead...
 

·
Member
Joined
·
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
kwilford said:
OH yea, unless you do what I am planning and install a second relay to "run" the car with the ignition "on". It takes the current load off the "run" contacts on the ignition switch. I guess I was kinda thinking ahead...
Second relay, being the OttoStart?
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
5,928 Posts
rockytopmark said:
I have 4 positions. I changed entire steering column for other reasons. Both Ignition Keyswitches "work" the same. I have 1). Home... No power to anything, key goes in and out. 2...No power, key will not go in or out... 3... Power to car.... 4 Power to Starter.

My condition is that AFTER (and only after) car is started, Positions 1 and 2 act JUST LIKE position 3.
So you have power on terminal 1 & 2 in the key "run" position? Sounds like a defective ignition switch or...?
 
1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Top