Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have schematics for electronic ignition? On mine it shows 5 but I have 6 wires.

·
Über Genius
9,401 Posts
Which brand/version?

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
2,575 Posts
Maybe this will help?

Ignition Coil:
-1 wire from the negative terminal going back to the tach.
-1 wire from the negative terminal going to the distributor condenser, usually it is green but could be black. *unless there is a PerTronix.
-1 high tension lead wire from the coil to the distributor. *anti-theft note, if you remove the lead wire the engine can't start.
-1 wire from the positive terminal to the ignition switch, clear resistance wire. *This can be replaced however, depending on what the ignition coil needs to work.
-1 wire from the positive terminal to the starter.

If there is a PerTronix in the distributor, then there will be 1 more wire going from the distributor to the positive terminal of the coil. There would be a black wire and a red wire coming out of the distributor.

·
Über Genius
9,401 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Maybe this will help?
View attachment 432698

Ignition Coil:
-1 wire from the negative terminal going back to the tach.
-1 wire from the negative terminal going to the distributor condenser, usually it is green but could be black. *unless there is a PerTronix.
-1 high tension lead wire from the coil to the distributor. *anti-theft note, if you remove the lead wire the engine can't start.
-1 wire from the positive terminal to the ignition switch, clear resistance wire. *This can be replaced however, depending on what the ignition coil needs to work.
-1 wire from the positive terminal to the starter.

If there is a PerTronix in the distributor, then there will be 1 more wire going from the distributor to the positive terminal of the coil. There would be a black wire and a red wire coming out of the distributor.
Thank you, this will help

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, all GT's are 70's GT's but NONE came with a factory electronic ignition.

Show a picture, maybe?
Also I noticed today that the resistor wire is getting absurdly hot and I’m not sure what’s causing that... but here are some pictures...

·
Über Genius
9,401 Posts
Now we know you have an aftermarket Mallory ignition.
I'm sure someone has experience with them. I do not.

·
1,719 Posts
You have a lot of non-factory wiring going on there.

Reactions: Autoholic

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
2,575 Posts
I would recommend you remove it all. Distributor and the Mallory ignition system. Rebuild the distributor with a PerTronix Ignitor and use their coil. Your GT will need to be reverted back to a mostly stock wiring system. Aftermarket ignition systems can be fine when installed properly. What the previous owner did on your GT is a hack job. I wouldn't trust any of his wiring.

·
1,719 Posts
Autoholic is correct to change your system to something you can install and diagnose your self on the road if you have problems.
John

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I would recommend you remove it all. Distributor and the Mallory ignition system. Rebuild the distributor with a PerTronix Ignitor and use their coil. Your GT will need to be reverted back to a mostly stock wiring system. Aftermarket ignition systems can be fine when installed properly. What the previous owner did on your GT is a hack job. I wouldn't trust any of his wiring.
Thanks for the help!

·
Opel Rallier since 1977
2,278 Posts
OP. that coil that you show is just a high capacity coil. What we need to know is what is under the distributor cap, so if you could take a pix there, then that would be of great help.

With that small cable coming out of the distributor, my first thought is that you have a Mallory Unilite ignition module in the distributor. There is nothing wrong with that system.... but it is obsolete.

If this is the case, then here is a diagram for that.

The resistor wire getting hot is not a surprise; the resistance of that wire is 1.8 ohms IIRC, which is incorrect for the Mallory Unilite system. You would want this ballast resistor with no resistance wire in the circuit.

BTW, I tried to PM you (start a conversation) but did not get that done.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OP. that coil that you show is just a high capacity coil. What we need to know is what is under the distributor cap, so if you could take a pix there, then that would be of great help.

With that small cable coming out of the distributor, my first thought is that you have a Mallory Unilite ignition module in the distributor. There is nothing wrong with that system.... but it is obsolete.

If this is the case, then here is a diagram for that.

The resistor wire getting hot is not a surprise; the resistance of that wire is 1.8 ohms IIRC, which is incorrect for the Mallory Unilite system. You would want this ballast resistor with no resistance wire in the circuit.

BTW, I tried to PM you (start a conversation) but did not get that done.
Thank you so much, this will help out a lot.

·
Opel Rallier since 1977
2,278 Posts
Hopefully so! As requested, a pix posted of what is under the distributor cap, with the rotor button removed, would probably help ID this system better.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts