Opel GT Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Opel Rallier since 1977
2,278 Posts
Mmm that looks like a Pertronix Ignitor ignition module. So I am pretty darned sure now that the previous diagram linked will be wrong, as it was for a Unilite ignition.

Going back to your first pictures in the thread:
  • See the spade lug crimped to both the grey wire from the ignition module and the green wire? Where does that green wire come from? (I think I know but want you to trace it out answer to be more sure.)
  • Is the charred wire the resistance wire that you referred to?

·
Opel Rallier since 1977
2,278 Posts
See here for the Pertronix Ignitor for Delco 4 cylinder; looks pretty darned close or identical, execpt for the 2 wire colors. So figuring out which color is which is the trick now. But if you carefuly trace out where that green wire goes as asked about above, then I'm pretty sure we can figure it all out.

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
2,611 Posts
Looking at the photo, I think Manta Rallier is right. That's a PerTronix Ignitor but with a white wire, so I have to go back to my comment. Return the car to stock wiring. The coil and the Ignitor might still be used, but I would say it's best to go back to stock parts and then install a new Ignitor just to be safe.

One of the reasons why I want to do a full restoration on my GT myself, is that I'll know every aspect of the car. I'll be in control of the quality of the work done and I'll know which parts were NOS, brand new, or used. It actually would worry me if I bought an old car and didn't do a full restoration because I wouldn't intimately know the condition of that classic.

·
Opel Rallier since 1977
2,278 Posts
And by the way OP, while you are tracing out that wire, take your ohmmeter and measure the resistance from the + and - terminals on that Malory coil, with nothing esle connected to those terminals. Let us know what you resistance that you measure there. This is to make sure that the coil plus ballast resistance value is adequate for use with the Ignitor module.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
See here for the Pertronix Ignitor for Delco 4 cylinder; looks pretty darned close or identical, execpt for the 2 wire colors. So figuring out which color is which is the trick now. But if you carefuly trace out where that green wire goes as asked about above, then I'm pretty sure we can figure it all out.
Resistance wire connected to the positive terminal and the fuse box in the car.

·
Opel Rallier since 1977
2,278 Posts
OK well that connection would make sense. That coil can draw more current than a standard or stock coil. Also, any resistance wire can get hard and brittle with age and heating.

Sending you a PM.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts