Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be snooping around, but if anyone has some good linkage for autocrossing a GT, please send em my way and save me some time! :D

·
Driver
987 Posts
You gonna race with the Spokes? I had a friend who raced w/ the Austin Spokes a couple years back in his '72 GT. I am in Austin as well. I live off Oak Knoll.
I used to go and ride with my friend. He called me his "counter weight". On a couple occasions I saved him a DNF by pointing and saying "The gate is over there!"
It was a blast. I ripped the Oh sh*t handle off his passenger door.
Lots of experienced racers on this forum.

Attachments

·
Administrator
10,230 Posts
Welcome! Do a site search for "autocross" or "solo II" or check out the racers forum.

I tried autocrossing for the first time this past Oct. Had a blast. I drove my show GT and laughed all the way around the track. My first run I got "lost" 4 or 5 times and finished with a blistering time of 114 seconds. (most were ~80 seconds) Out of 6 runs, I had 2 clean ones with the last one at 96.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi, George.

It turns out Im the guy who got 3rd place in STS at SPOKES this year...mostly by default, but I'm still very happy with my first year in the sport. ;)

I'm also a member at TAMSCC (A&M) and SASCA (San Antonio) so I end up autocrossing almost 3 times a month.

I have been kicking around the concept of a car that is FR and very light and moderately portioned with power... and is NOT a convertable. Id even be open to swapping in another brand of engine to make the Opel work better for auto-x.

·
Driver
987 Posts
What car are you racing now?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
'02 Honda Civic Si with full suspension redux for next season.

160hp/130tq and just over 2600lbs bone dry. 5-speed FF, open Diff.

·
Senior Contributor
903 Posts
DieConeDie,

What class are you looking to compete in? Are you looking to do it just for fun or to be competitive? Locally or Nationally? It can be difficult to discuss a solo II car without first determing your intent...

-Travis

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would want to compete regionally at the most, and as far as class, I would want a daily driver car, not a trailer queen.

Where does a stock GT fall when someone does suspension, wheels, street tires (not neccessarily R-compound) and maybe an LSD?

·
Senior Contributor
903 Posts
That would put you into SP or possibly SM2. I'm not up to speed on SM2 as it never really interested me.

In stock class(almost no modifications) you won't have a chance.

In SP the lack of power, lack of front camber and poor suspension geometry are going to be problems. How bad, I'm not too sure as I've not run in SP. You may do fine locally if you don't have any nationally competitive people in your region.

Another option is Prepared. Most prepared cars are not what one would consider streetable. However, it is possible to build a streetable prepared car and I suspect that it would be more competitive than an SP GT. My GT is currently borderline streetable and has done reasonably well the few times I've raced it since getting it together enough to drive. I'm planning some upgrades for this winter and will be going to nationals this year(2004). We'll see how I do....

-Travis

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I see where you are coming from.

I dont like the idea of a trailered car for autocross... it's counter to the whole concept to me, but that's just me, and another discussion.

I would want the car to be competitive, and that's really what Im here to find out.

I didnt realize the suspension or power would be as much of a problem with such a low weight, but I instead thought there might be a gearing or F/R balance issue.

·
Driver
987 Posts
I know my friend found there to be a gearing problem between 2nd and 3rd. Too big of a gap on some courses. Also, they are known to be a little nose heavy, problem compounded by the suspension.

·
Senior Contributor
903 Posts
DieConeDie said:

I didnt realize the suspension or power would be as much of a problem with such a low weight, but I instead thought there might be a gearing or F/R balance issue.
The other cars in FSP have similiar weights and power. For instance a '92 Honda won at nationals last year in FSP. I don't know what model they were running but I do know that a '92 CX which weighs 2108 lbs and has 102 HP is eligable. Compare this with the GT at ~2100 lbs and ~90hp. Horsepower isn't everything but this clearly shows the GTs low weight really isn't that low within the class.

Im puzzled by your suspension comment. Low weight can't compensate for bad suspension, no matter how light the car is.

Yes, the gearing is terrible. Especially between 2nd and 3rd as Opelenvy pointed out

Moving the battery will help with the front/rear weight bias a good deal. I suspect the remainder will be the least of your worries in SP.

-Travis

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Travis said:

Im puzzled by your suspension comment. Low weight can't compensate for bad suspension, no matter how light the car is.
Its more of a general statement, about how a lighter car can handle much better than a heavier one with the same suspension and tires... simply a matter of lateral grip. :)

·
648 Posts
I have had the 2nd--3rd gap bite me on many courses. It's not as bad now with my new engine as I have the rev limiter set to 6500 which allows me to stay in 2nd more of the time.

My last autoX was in Nov. I decided not to "cheat" in FSP so I ran ESP...they then bumped me up to Emod!! No chance.
I don't feel the GT can be competitive in FSP on more then a local level against more modern cars if it is set completely by the rules.
James

Attachments

·
Senior Contributor
903 Posts
DieConeDie said:
Its more of a general statement, about how a lighter car can handle much better than a heavier one with the same suspension and tires... simply a matter of lateral grip. :)
I agree on your statement about tires but since tire and wheel sizes are completely open is FSP, I dont think it's relevant. The tires can be matched to the car to provide the same lateral accelerations.

Yes, reduced weight will reduce the amount of lateral load transfer during cornering but it takes a sizable weight reduction to make a noticable difference in lateral acceleration. I would consider this to be largely insignificant compared to the effects of a bad suspension, especially the front suspension static camber.

Have you considered prepared? If not, why?

-Travis

·
648 Posts
Travis,

I was thinking (from memory) that the GT was limited to 14 x 7 inch tires in FSP. I can't find my rule book to verify...wife did pre-holiday clean up at my expence......
Jc

·
Member 1000 Post Club
1,520 Posts
DieConeDie,

Search this site looking for comments by RallyBob, and Classic Opels for Robert Legere. On classic opels look for a post on April 29, 2001. He has posted several times on the things that need to be fixed/improved on the GTs suspension, such as bump steer and spring bind. If you can't find what you need, email off list and I'l try to find some of it and forward them to you. I don't know which mods are legal for which class.

I can't give you personal advice on GT suspendsion mods since All I've ever owned have been Mantas.

However, you have started off on the right track by conversing with Travis and James. There are a couple of others that are knowlegeable that are lurking, you just have to find them.

Good Luck!
Paul

1 - 20 of 26 Posts