Opel GT Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Senior Contributor
903 Posts
Paul,

The problem is that little can be done in SP. He's pretty much limited to the common add-ons.

Here's a quick list of the major things that should be fixed IMO on a GT and if they're legal in SP

front bump steer NO
front static camber NO
front camber curve NO
anti-squat NO
rear roll steer NO
spring rates YES
anti-roll bars YES
panhard bar NO
shocks YES

This is why I have suggested prepared. If he were to take the suspension he would have built for SP and fix the major deficiencies and build the motor, he should have a reasonable, streetable prepared car.

BTW, I have already addressed these items on my solo II prepared GT...

-Travis

·
Certified Opelholic
1,470 Posts
I have a Trailer queen GT

if you could drive it you would change your mind about trailer only Cars

I used to run with both Spokes and SASCA i was even the equipment manager for SASCA before i moved to CO

Basically my Race GT was 1800lbs (without driver) fiber glass noes,quaiffe close ratio gear box, quaiffe LSD with 5.28 gears.

it was so fast i would be shaking when i got out after a run my goal was to beat the TT RX7's and i finally beat one of them before i moved to CO getting two LTOD's

My Street GT i had i started autocrossing in 90 or 91 and raced it tell 1996 when it was totaled by some lady and i used the insurance money to buy the race only GT

the street GT was about 10 SEC back so if Ben is still running his TT RX7 or some of the top cars with SASCA that would give you and idea

my best street setup (back in DSP days) was OGTS sport spring full poly bushings front and rear sway bars from OGTS 3.67 rear gears

OK bottom line would your Honda or the GT be better
for solo II the Honda (older ones like 88) is killer

for street the GT kicks Butt when you get all the bugs worked out

i remember dogging a delsol when they first came out

The best advice I can give is get a car you like the more you like a car the more you will stick with it and come up with ways to make it faster.

HTH
Davegt27

·
Member 1000 Post Club
1,520 Posts
Travis,

I thought Camber Plates were legal in Street Prepared. My firend who used to run a Fiat X-19 in DSP had coilOvers and camber plates.... but don't ask me I've only run stock class.

DieConeDie,

Like I said... you are talking to several of the right guys about GTs... in Travis, Dave and James. Also, don't forget to check out www.tgsi.com.

Also, you should check out the following classes, STS, SM and SM II.

Certainly, there is a class out there that will allow you to fix some/most of the suspension woes, prepare the engine and be competative on a Regional Level and possibly on a Divisional Level.

Good Luck
Paul

·
Senior Contributor
903 Posts
Paul said:
Travis,

I thought Camber Plates were legal in Street Prepared. My firend who used to run a Fiat X-19 in DSP had coilOvers and camber plates....
Camber plates are allowed for people with strut suspensions only. The only legal option on a GT is to have a custom set of offset bushings made up and use a pin of some sort to keep them from rotating. I never bothered to do the math to determine how much camber could be increased with this method.

By the SP rules he must keep a leaf spring in the front.

The GT is not eligable for STS or SM as it only has two seats. It is eligable in SM2, but expect to shell out big $$$. I'd expect many 10's of thousands to be even close to competitive...:(

-Travis

·
Certified Opelholic
1,470 Posts
Travis i was Just thinking someone running street prepared would be a very good position to have a lot of fun and really open some eyes

as far as the GT is concerned
when i used to run DSP you could hardly do anything to the car

There was another Guy from Austin named Sean that ran a GT the same time i ran

I ran 205x60x13's he ran 185's (if i remember right)
i think he said his overall Gear ratio was 3.90 and his car sat a lot lower and a lot quicker

I think his approach was better.
A year or so later when i had the race GT i ran 2 different size tires

22x8x13 and 20x9.5x13 when i ran the 22" tall tires the car would lift the inside wheel off the ground

later i did a study and found for my GT lowering the CG buy 2" was equivalent to widening the track by 6"

yeah that much of a difference

if someone had a GT and moved in the right direction it would be a pretty fast car

another example was when i crunched the numbers on my race GT i was limited to 1.92 G's in a turn

why --i did not have 50/50 front to back weight balance
i had close to 50/50 diagonal which made the car handle OK but i was a long way from getting all the bugs out

Man i could go on and on

another example are Adj. shocks and the right springs I never did have the right setup I had Koni red's with rebound only adj. (on the front only)

just a lot of stuff could be worked on

davegt27

21 - 26 of 26 Posts