Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been interested in opel gt's for a couple months now and have started to seriously think about getting one. I would have about $3k to spend on one to fix up. One problem is just finding one in the midwest. What should I expect to pay for an opel gt with a good body? the engine/transmission would probably not stay original for too long so that would be an issue. Can you/ has anyone put a small block v8 into them? I've heard of putting Chevy 350's in them back in the day but I’m not sure if its true. This would just be a fun car to have on the side for when I get my license, It wouldn’t be a daily driver probably. I will be getting a car from my parents and this would just be my little project. Sorry for all the q's but not many people around here know too much about opels, thanks

·
Senior Contributor
730 Posts
Unless you want to spend a vast amount of money, time and resourses, forget the V8 idea. The GT is a uni-body and would not stand-up to the torque forces generated. Also the amount of metal that you would have to remove and reshape: the firewall, inner fenders, rebuiling the rear axle, different ( and shortened) axle, etc.. You can do a V6 (even that will requir time and money). There's alot of ideas on hi-power 4 cyl. transplants in the libraries, not to mention Opel engine upgrades that would do what you want.
My 2c's

·
2,054 Posts
Do a search - there's a number of threads that discuss:
* V8 swaps
* V6 swaps
* 2.4 liter Opel swaps
* performance gains for the existing 1.9 liter engine

Yeah, there's been some 350's put in the GT. But it isn't for the faint-hearted, or the under-budgeted, or under-experienced person. I'm suggesting you fall into any of these categories, but its something to consider.

Coupla guys in this forum are installing Chevy V6s, one thinking of turbo-ing his V6.

Check out the photo section. Somebody has put what looks to be a high-tech, new engine in his GT - and it looks PDG (pretty damn good).

So look through the site here, its full of ideas, and it'll help you define & refine your goal and expectation.

·
2,054 Posts
Mistake Typing

I made a mistake in my previous message. When I wrote, "I'm suggesting you fall into any of these categories, but its something to consider.", what I really meant to say was, "I'm not suggesting....

Sorry if you took any offence.

Check out some of Namba's posts. He's pretty far along on a swap.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hey man,

I am in Tulsa, Oklahoma I have a 72 body that has like 85K on it. I just pulled the motor and tranny but everything is still with this car. If you are interested in buying a car I think this would be a great place to start. I could even get it to you cheap enough that you would have plenty left over to do your mods/restoration.

Email me for more details:

[email protected]

·
Opeler
231 Posts
Hay Spyder,

There is a GT that is about 1/2 way done with the V6 conversion. The car is in West Frankfort IL That is only about 90 Mi. from Stl. The car still needs a lot of work, but you can get it cheep. If you are interested I can hook you up with the guy that has it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts