Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey, looking into buying a manta from michigan, and i can't find any information on importing older cars.

all i could find was this http://www.riv.ca/english/html/how_to_import.html which is only for cars 15 years old or newer, can anyone help me out here? i want this car if its not going to kill me in importing fees

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
doh, i've been working too much and not sleeping enough... didn't even think of searching... i feel so new :eek:

so just checking from what i think i understand... all i need is to fax a copy of the ownership and sales reciept (will a peice of paper saying something like "I, Guy #1, sell this car, 1972 Opel Manta, to Guy #2 for $$$$ on this day [signature]" work?) at least 72 hours before crossing the border, then just drive it home (with a trip permit i guess) and pay the 7% or 8%, whichever it is GST on the amount it says on the reciept at the border, get the papers and drive it home?

·
Super Moderator
5,601 Posts
Moved to the Canadian Opel Club Forum.

A lady that used to live here in Alberta shipped three (3!) Opels in from the States (one is now my 75 SportWagon). As I recall, she almost got in trouble the last time (my SW) because the trucker hadn't stopped at U.S. Customs to EXPORT the car, before it was IMPORTED into Canada. There is some paperwork required to state that the car has been officially removed from the U.S. in order to allow it to come in. You might drop dmillet a PM since he just went through this with Flipper's GT.

·
Manta Maniac
1,385 Posts
Brendan,
I've brought 7 cars over so far...give me a call and I'll talk you through the process...it's fairly painless, but there are a couple of points to note.
I'll be around on Sat.
rgds, Rob.
(or save yourself the grief and make me an offer for the Blue '73 or the Yellow '74 in my yard :D )

·
Manta Maniac
1,385 Posts
I do have plans....but they are at the back of the queue...so realistically I won't touch them for a few years...if you are wanting to get a Manta on the road sooner, I'd rather you make use of one. I can always buy more project cars in the future....(just how far can I roam from Saint Louis with the trailer in a weekend!!!).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts