Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Changing the oil sender in an Opel GT does not need to be dropping the exaust etc. or removing the intake manafold. The easiest way is not always the long obvious way. IF you have a solex carb.it is easier and if you have a weber it still is not impossible.

1. Pull breather from carb.

2. Using Weber carb. because it is a little more difficult.;but basicaly the same way,..Pull return carb. spring at left side of carb linkage to frame hole and maybe take little bolts out of choke cover to save yor skin on your arm and let cover hang loose without disconnecting if possible for easier re-assembling.

3. Now taking your "Left" arm (passenger side of course) ha! Facing side of carb. (spring out of way) reach down and you will find to your surprise that the average arm can easily access the sender. "Old Tip: close eyes, to "feel" better.. use (thin or bent) 17MM open-end wrench to remove....Heck of a lot Simpler Hah!! :banghead:
I too tried the hard way the first two times....Phil (Opey7)

·
Opeler
3,157 Posts
Technique will remove the oil pressure sending unit if it is not too tight. :yup: I always disconnect the negative battery cable for safety.

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
Yeah, but . . .

Changing the oil sender in an Opel GT does not need to be dropping the exaust etc. or removing the intake manafold. The easiest way is not always the long obvious way. IF you have a solex carb.it is easier and if you have a weber it still is not impossible.

1. Pull breather from carb.

2. Using Weber carb. because it is a little more difficult.;but basicaly the same way,..Pull return carb. spring at left side of carb linkage to frame hole and maybe take little bolts out of choke cover to save yor skin on your arm and let cover hang loose without disconnecting if possible for easier re-assembling.

3. Now taking your "Left" arm (passenger side of course) ha! Facing side of carb. (spring out of way) reach down and you will find to your surprise that the average arm can easily access the sender. "Old Tip: close eyes, to "feel" better.. use (thin or bent) 17MM open-end wrench to remove....Heck of a lot Simpler Hah!! :banghead:
I too tried the hard way the first two times....Phil (Opey7)
Technique will remove the oil pressure sending unit if it is not too tight. :yup: I always disconnect the negative battery cable for safety.
. . . 3/8"-drive crowfoot use is much easier!

. . . right tool for the right job! . . . Harbor Freight or J.C. Whitney's!

·
Super Moderator
9,778 Posts
Like Otto says, you can use a crows foot, but, if you still have problems getting it out, try heating a 19mm combo wrench about an inch down from the open end, and bend the handle 90 degrees and now you have a crows foot with leverage!!:yup:

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
Uh . . .

Like Otto says, you can use a crows foot, but, if you still have problems getting it out, try heating a 19mm combo wrench about an inch down from the open end, and bend the handle 90 degrees and now you have a crows foot with leverage!!:yup:
. . . 17mm crowsfoot, short 3/8" extension and any 3/8" ratchet/breaker bar . . . and you get to choose just how much leverage you want! :pat:

·
Tazdbs 71 Opel GT
188 Posts
Small crescent wrench works great

I have a small crescent wrench about 5 1/2 inches long that I got in a set at Harbor Freight Tools. You may even find some at the dollar stores. It opend wide enough to go around the oil sending unit nut and the handle was short enough to rotate under the exhaust manifold. It works great and saves bending tools and if you don't have any crows feet wrenches. Just make sure the engine in cool so you don't get burned.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts