Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for any information on modifications to help me. I would like to place an independent rear supension in my 69 Opel GT. I don't know whick donor cars would be the best fit and I would like the specifications needed. unequal length non parallel link double wishbone is what I'm looking for but I will settle for parallel with a quaiffe atb differential gear upgrade.

·
Super Moderator
13,872 Posts
hardtime72 said:
I am looking for any information on modifications to help me. I would like to place an independent rear supension in my 69 Opel GT. I don't know whick donor cars would be the best fit and I would like the specifications needed. unequal length non parallel link double wishbone is what I'm looking for but I will settle for parallel with a quaiffe atb differential gear upgrade.
If you search the forums, you'll find this has been talked about at length, but offhand I can only think of one person who has posted the results of his successful IRS swap to a GT. I believe that was a BMW IRS. I think a Miata IRS might be a good candidate, but as that car is substantially wider it won't be a swap without consequences (front drive offset wheels and/or flared fenders may be necessary). They were available with a Torsen style differential as an option too BTW.

Bob

·
Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer
7,517 Posts
The Isuzu Impulse Complete rear has been swapped into a GT and Manta. ON 88 and 89 models it had IRS. So it was the candidate I was considering. Not to mention the forementioned BMW.

Charles

·
Super Moderator
5,943 Posts
Moved to the " Performance Suspension and Braking Upgrades " Forum

·
Administrator
10,236 Posts
GoinManta said:
The Isuzu Impulse Complete rear has been swapped into a GT and Manta. ON 88 and 89 models it had IRS. So it was the candidate I was considering. Not to mention the forementioned BMW.

Charles
Charles - Do you still have the rear end from your Bitter Parts car? What about the 3.9?

·
Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer
7,517 Posts
Steven (OldOpelGuy) just got the Bitter 3.9L To rebuild for his Admiral.

The Bitter parts car (with its rear end) went to a Bitter owner in Pennyslvania.

The rear independant on the Bitter I think would be too large and bulky for either the Manta or GT

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
new idea

I am seriously considering building a frame that will allow me to use my opel's differential housing and make an IRS I will keep everyone up to speed on the design process. Sounds difficult but I believe it is feasible. If it works I will make it possible for everyone to have access to the design when it is completed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts