Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Gitte
11 Posts
Greetings Gt'ers. Happy New Year.

I have removed my old static red seat belts from my 1971GT and went to fix in my nice new kit of Inertia Reel Seat Belts. Errrr..., no way. Centre clips are fine, top door pillars no problem, but that's it. No place for the Reels. Does anyone know exactly the measurements and placement of these reels so they are correct & safe.

Many thanks from Amsterdam....... Mark Hans :confused:

·
Gitte
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Inertia Seat Belts.

Thank you for the link. 2009! Well, I read it all but in reality was more of a debate than an instruction. The two photographs that did appear on a GT were totally unclear... reals mounted half way up the door pillar, or are they just lying there? Wasn't at all sure.

So, I'm really looking for a far more specific instruction from anyone out there who has this type of belt fitted & exactly where the real housings are mounted (allowing for the seat to be pushed back etc etc.). The real housings have a fixing hole on the underside of the units which is standard. The other two mountings for door pillar and centre consul are already perfect. Thanks again..........
:confused:

·
Mid-West Opeler
2,409 Posts
recoil mounting location

this may help...

Attachments

·
Opeler
603 Posts
Sawdust,

Your location is fine but I question the strength of pop rivets to hold the plate in an accident. I made a trapezoidal plate about 7" long that fit the area and then installed it with 4 10-24 stove bolts on each side. The bolts have washers and lock washers to increase the pull area. I will try to photograph it in the next few days.

Originally I mounted the retractor on the door sill were the stationary belt goes. This works except it prevents the seat from being slid back all the way. It was fine for me at 5' 6" but terrible for my son at 6' 2".

You can buy seat belt mounting kits online that have the proper female thread in a plate plate that is about 2" x 3". This I also bolted to the steel trapezoidal plate. This fix did not involve welding. Initially I tried to get a body shop to weld in the fix but the refused saying state law (CA) prevented them from modifying seat belt mountings.

·
Gitte
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Solved!

THANK YOU....... the photograph supplied was excellent. A picture paints a thousand words. Now I know the correct location, I will have a steel plate welded in place. It will be strong enough, besides, the GT in a major frontal? no thanks....

Mark Hans, Amsterdam. :yup:

·
Super Moderator
5,918 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
What is the thread size for the bolt for the upper mounting point, in the B-pillar (I found the threaded socket in the pillar, but it looks like the threads may have gotten some adhesive on them, and I want to be sure to chase them with the correct tap)?

·
Opeler
3,100 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
http://www.opelgt.com/forums/2b-sea...9687-improved-gt-seat-belts-2.html#post245162

Probably a 7/16 SAE fine thread (7/16-20). I would measure the bolts.
New bolts can be purchased (See link).
I would have thought 7/16 fine also; and that's what the bolt from the old lap belt into the door sill seems to be. But I wanted to be sure that the B-pillar was actually the same (not some weird metric hold-over because three point belts weren't required in the US at that time).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts