Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, the gt is in desprite need of shocks, but I dont have a great deal of cash, books and tuiton sure add up...well I'm looking to spend less then $400 for all 4. Less is always better, but I want a good set of shocks. What are sugguestions that everyone has, I know that monroe's sensa trak will fit, and kyb's gas-ajust- and g2 will fit. Any comment on these two, or are the others that I should consider thanks again..

·
184 Posts
I went the KYB Gas-a-Just route, front and back were about $115 total. Very happy with them. The KYB website has quite a bit of info on it. New shocks, added front and rear sway bars...the improvement in handling is like night and day.

·
587 Posts
The FRONT KYB shocks will need an "installation(bushing) kit" that is not included. Most online companies don't show this. It will cost another $15. The lower mounting hole in the KYB is larger than the opel mounting hole & bolt. If the bushing kit isn't used, you will get a "heck" of a noise in the front end. OGTS is the only place I have seen that tells you about the needed bushings. I was able to get the kit from a local import parts place.

As for the Monroe LE10005 rear shocks, these are only Heavy Duty shocks and NOT gas shocks. I wouldn't recommend them.

I have the KYB GR-2 series on my 72 GT and like the ride.

Tom C

·
Registered
149 Posts
Thanks for the info Tom.

I've used KYB shocks/struts on all my cars/trucks (except the Opel) for the last 10 years. Opel shocks are still OK - No need for new yet.

The GR-2 are great. The ride is great. They handle better and never feel harsh. The Gas-A-Just occasionally feel harsh, esp. on rough pavement, but handle/corner better. I have their new SUV shocks (MonoMax) on my Jeep - WOW - they are fantastic but cost $75 each (and worth more).

I know money is tight, but when you sit in it every day, buying the right shock is very satisfying.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey, thanks for all the great info. I didnt know about the bushing kit, I'm going to call around the local stores and find the best price for the gas-a-just, that should make the opel happy.

Jimsky: did you pick up the sway bars from OGTS?

·
184 Posts
I purchased the anti-sway bars (front and rear) from Addco. They were $99 each, poly bushings and all needed hardware. Addco's rear bar doesn't require a bracket to be welded onto the axle, it uses 4 threaded body bolt holes that are on every GT. No welding needed...so I went that way. Their installation instructions could be better, but you can figure it out. Call Shelly at 800 621-8916 to purchase the bars right from Addco.

I posted about a dozen photos of my front and rear installation at the Yahoo ClassicOpels site. The photos are in the files/technical section. Several people asked about the Addco bars and wanted some photos to help figure the installation.

In my opinion a very well spent $200. I did sway bars, new shocks, then new rims with 205/60R13's and the car is now a panic to toss around in the turns!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What about the option of a higher price shock, such as a knoi? Yellow ones (sports) can be found around $170 + shipping for all four, do these shocks need adpated such as the kyb's? Is it 'worth it' in your mind? I dont mind a stiff ride. Thanks again for the help.

·
Opeler
57 Posts
Part number for KYB gr-2

Reading this thread and the concensus seems to be that the KYB GR-2 is the best 'bang for the buck' and that the part number is available to everyone but me.
Anybody care to help out? It might just be that the Canadian websites deny the existence of Opel as a car manufacturer.

Thanks,

Mike

·
Opeler
950 Posts
KYB shocks can be found on the partsamerica.com site. They have both the GR-2 and the Gas-A-Just. I think you'll need an installation kit for the fronts as the lower mounting hole is larger than required. I installed the Gas-A-Just shocks on my GT. They've been fine and give a stiffer ride than due to the gas charge. I ended up making a spacer for the lower-front mount from the old shocks.

·
Registered
638 Posts
bought my KYB gas shocks from a parts house in Tulsa and they came with the brass colored spacers. Had to call the KYB distributor in Atlanta to replace one leaking one years later and the replacement came with them. Ask for the opel application Ron

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Shocks

Opel retailers carry both versions of the KYB shocks as well as the hardware.
The wholesale cost of KYB's has risen over the past 2 years (with the price of steel).

Lower cost options include the Monroe brand. AVOID the yellow Midas Muffler, and the old Sears brands!

Koni Red shocks and some Gabriels's are becoming close to obsolete for the GT application. Bilstein's are good, but availability for the GT is a question.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I put my KYB shocks on about 6 months ago, replacing what I am sure were 15 year old shocks and was amazed at the different handeling and overall ride- well worh the $'s :cool:

·
587 Posts
KYB Shocks

Mike,

KYB Shocks --- FRONT ------ REAR

....GR-2........ 344098 ------ 343039

Gas-A-Just .. KG-4613A ------ KG-5552

GABRIEL ....... 82053 ------ 82039

I'm running the GR-2 shocks on my GT. I like the ride.
You will need the front install kit as stated or make your own bushings.

~ Tom

·
Opeler
57 Posts
God bless you Tom! I had the best response yet today. Usually comments are limited to "Who makes Opel" and the like but I was told today (because they don't list it in the computer)

"There's no such Car"

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
God bless you Tom! I had the best response yet today. Usually comments are limited to "Who makes Opel" and the like but I was told today (because they don't list it in the computer)

"There's no such Car"
Try having them look under "Buick" in their computer. Sometimes that helps, if their computer gos back to the 60s.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts