Opel GT Forum banner

inexpensive shocks

6K views 36 replies 18 participants last post by  jvandyke 
#1 ·
Hey, the gt is in desprite need of shocks, but I dont have a great deal of cash, books and tuiton sure add up...well I'm looking to spend less then $400 for all 4. Less is always better, but I want a good set of shocks. What are sugguestions that everyone has, I know that monroe's sensa trak will fit, and kyb's gas-ajust- and g2 will fit. Any comment on these two, or are the others that I should consider thanks again..

#6 ·
The FRONT KYB shocks will need an "installation(bushing) kit" that is not included. Most online companies don't show this. It will cost another $15. The lower mounting hole in the KYB is larger than the opel mounting hole & bolt. If the bushing kit isn't used, you will get a "heck" of a noise in the front end. OGTS is the only place I have seen that tells you about the needed bushings. I was able to get the kit from a local import parts place.

As for the Monroe LE10005 rear shocks, these are only Heavy Duty shocks and NOT gas shocks. I wouldn't recommend them.

I have the KYB GR-2 series on my 72 GT and like the ride.

Tom C

#7 ·
Thanks for the info Tom.

I've used KYB shocks/struts on all my cars/trucks (except the Opel) for the last 10 years. Opel shocks are still OK - No need for new yet.

The GR-2 are great. The ride is great. They handle better and never feel harsh. The Gas-A-Just occasionally feel harsh, esp. on rough pavement, but handle/corner better. I have their new SUV shocks (MonoMax) on my Jeep - WOW - they are fantastic but cost $75 each (and worth more).

I know money is tight, but when you sit in it every day, buying the right shock is very satisfying.

#8 ·
Hey, thanks for all the great info. I didnt know about the bushing kit, I'm going to call around the local stores and find the best price for the gas-a-just, that should make the opel happy.

Jimsky: did you pick up the sway bars from OGTS?

#9 ·
I purchased the anti-sway bars (front and rear) from Addco. They were $99 each, poly bushings and all needed hardware. Addco's rear bar doesn't require a bracket to be welded onto the axle, it uses 4 threaded body bolt holes that are on every GT. No welding needed...so I went that way. Their installation instructions could be better, but you can figure it out. Call Shelly at 800 621-8916 to purchase the bars right from Addco.

I posted about a dozen photos of my front and rear installation at the Yahoo ClassicOpels site. The photos are in the files/technical section. Several people asked about the Addco bars and wanted some photos to help figure the installation.

In my opinion a very well spent $200. I did sway bars, new shocks, then new rims with 205/60R13's and the car is now a panic to toss around in the turns!

#10 ·
What about the option of a higher price shock, such as a knoi? Yellow ones (sports) can be found around $170 + shipping for all four, do these shocks need adpated such as the kyb's? Is it 'worth it' in your mind? I dont mind a stiff ride. Thanks again for the help.

#11 ·
Part number for KYB gr-2

Reading this thread and the concensus seems to be that the KYB GR-2 is the best 'bang for the buck' and that the part number is available to everyone but me.
Anybody care to help out? It might just be that the Canadian websites deny the existence of Opel as a car manufacturer.

Thanks,

Mike

#13 ·
KYB shocks can be found on the partsamerica.com site. They have both the GR-2 and the Gas-A-Just. I think you'll need an installation kit for the fronts as the lower mounting hole is larger than required. I installed the Gas-A-Just shocks on my GT. They've been fine and give a stiffer ride than due to the gas charge. I ended up making a spacer for the lower-front mount from the old shocks.

#15 ·
Shocks

Opel retailers carry both versions of the KYB shocks as well as the hardware.
The wholesale cost of KYB's has risen over the past 2 years (with the price of steel).

Lower cost options include the Monroe brand. AVOID the yellow Midas Muffler, and the old Sears brands!

Koni Red shocks and some Gabriels's are becoming close to obsolete for the GT application. Bilstein's are good, but availability for the GT is a question.

#21 ·
KYB Shocks --- FRONT ------ REAR

....GR-2........ 344098 ------
Gas-A-Just .. -------KG-5552

You will need the front install kit as stated or make your own bushings.
Which way did you go. You got Pics.
I just bought the above from NAPA.

#22 · (Edited)
I installed the KYB Gas adjust that Tom quoted above. The spacers are actually 2 washers, 1 each side, and the hole in the LCA was drilled out to fit the bolts for the shocks. I can't find a picture of the rears right now, but they were a 2 person job where they attach to the body. Enclosed is a picture of the front. Hth, Jarrell

Attachments

#24 ·
I can't find a picture of the rears right now, but they were a 2 person job where they attach to the body.
Jarrell, IIRC almost all shocks I've seen have a square machined at the tip of the piston rod so you can hold the rod with a small pair if vice grips and tightened the nut to the point the rubber spacers just start to compress. At least that's how it was on the rear ones on Willit? Simple one person task.

#28 ·
Sounds like a math problem. An 8 sided socket will only fit an 8 sided bolt head. A 16 point socket will fit 16 point, 8 or even 4, any even division. Jarrell you might want to look in your tool box for that special tool you need.

#32 ·
An 8 sided socket will only fit an 8 sided bolt head. A 16 point socket will fit 16 point, 8 or even 4, any even division.
I think you mean a 6 point socket fits a standard hex head nut or bolt only and a 12 point socket fits either a hex or square head nut or bolt. I've found that 12 point sockets tend to round off the corners on square fittings.

JM2CW,
Harold

#31 ·
I first found this to be true some 30 years ago adjusting a clutch stud. I have 2 sets of flywheel bolts that are 16 point and original parts that without 16 point sockets they would still be in the cranks. Believe me if I don't already own the tool I'm first to find it or make it. I have a T wrench that fits both the the clutch stud and shock tower ends. Honestly a cheaper set of shocks thread and a high dollar tool most people already have are kinda contradictory.

Ok skip the socket and do a speed wrench on the unsquare end and call it good.

#33 ·
Harold your right about the 12 point....definate brain fart. A bit off topic but the only ones that tried to ever strip on me were 12 point flywheel bolts with the small head on them.

#34 ·
With new stuff it probably won't strip but try old farm stuff that is older than you are and been subjected to fertilizer and the elements. Sometimes a "hot" wrench is your only option. You're right about being off topic, we've "bird walked" enough! Jarrell will probably delete both of us. :p

Harold

#35 ·
Being the ADD Opeler that I am, thinking of shocks.
There's a clunk in the front and the ride is terrible.
Leaning toward the KYB GR2 that is commonly used but came across these while searching.
Are they junk? (Napa branded, Napa Response RR 94011)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.