Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am very interested in an opel for sale nearby and know only minimal information about the engine of these cars (for example, what might be needed for the engine, etc.) the only big area i know anything about is the body, the frame, and things like that which is helped along by my father.

my question is where would i start if i wanted to find someone who did know quite a bit about them and knew what kind of work this car might need?

i know they have been owned by GM for many years, but also am aware these are European cars and may not necessarily have GM compatable engines or parts.

-Mike

(i know quite a bit about the company, as far as day-to-day-business and modern-day operations are concerned, but not much about the mechanical aspects.)

·
crazy opeler
558 Posts
well as far as buying a car, the body and frame are the most important aspects to be looking for, especialy in the north east where you are at. The motor is trivial, as it would take you months to do body work or pay thousands to have someone else do it. But you can rebuild a motor in a matter of weeks.
Not only that almost any opel motor can be made to run with minimal effort, and maybe a weber.....

Part crossovers arent that big of a deal, most small engine related parts you can get at any auto repair store, and anything else is available at OGTS.

Do you have any pictures of the car?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
not any pictures yet. the rust is really only on the left hand side of the vehicle - particularly in the edges if the wheel wells, and around one small chip in the driver side door. compared to other opels i have seen (at least in pcitures) the rust is not that bad.

the car would aslo need some parts. the tail lights were missing (or at least i did not see them on the inside of the car, which is where i find many people like to store spare parts or even spare tires.) as well as the front fog lights and parking lights, and i know it would need new rims and entirely new suspension, as the back was sagging.

whether it is still running or not, it would have to be hauled.

interior is great, and quite good compared to the outside, which to be honest is not that bad at all either.

my main concern is a larger problem - such as transmission or something major - having to be done.

but knowing that the engine is not as large a concern is a better releif...for me at least. My father, who has more of a body working history, is more concerned with the engine and finding what he calls "rare" parts. but at least i have a better idea.

i plan on making a trip soon. only a 30 minute drive, and when i do i will have a camera and post some up when i get a chance.

·
crazy opeler
558 Posts

My father, who has more of a body working history, is more concerned with the engine and finding what he calls "rare" parts.
[/B]

Please don't let anyone selling you a GT lead you to believe that they are rare, and as far as parts go there are tons of parts out there, you could pick up a good working transmission for $50, or even a motor for $100, you just have to watch ebay and the omc board.

You say that there is only a little rust around the wheel wells, if you dad is a body man then have him look at it closely, a car with rust around the wheel wells has probly been patched in the past, but if I were to see pictures I could probly tell you a lot more.

·
Registered
521 Posts
rare

About the only thing "rare" about a GT is finding a good rust free body. And that's not even THAT hard. They're out there. Everything else is easy to find. 4 speed transmissions are beginning to be a dime a dozen. As many owners are moving to 5 speeds that are actually pretty cheap to upgrade to. I just sold a motor and transmission (minus accessories) for $50. It kills me to see on eBay: Rare Opel GT......

Anyone have a guess how many GT's remain in the world? We started with about 103,000 or so. I do recall seeing quite a few GT's in my area in the early 90's...and they were "rare" then. Now I've only seen 1 driving around in my area. I don't know who it is though. Anyone w/ a GT in Federal Way on the list?(besides me..)

50,000 remaining??

·
Detritus Maximus
2,787 Posts
The 'guesstimation' that I've heard is about a 15-20% survival rate for old cars. For regular cars, that is. I'm sure the survival rate for Ferrari 250 GTOs would be a little higher:p .

·
crazy opeler
558 Posts
I would think it is a little higher for the GT, a lot of people hang on to them because of how rare they think they are, this is why you see a lot of totally rusted out GT's for sale for a lot of money. But it is a good thing, because there are plenty of parts cars out there that werent just sent to the crusher.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
"Production ended in August 1973, total production of 102463 cars."

this little site i found earlier today with the actual numbers...thought it might be of interest.

www.medial.com/opel/opgt.htm

1 - 8 of 8 Posts