Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1973 Opel GT's light went out a few days ago. I have checked the bulbs and fuses and I can't find anything wrong and they just wont turn on. On top of that my dash will not light up when I flip the lights up, but the dash dose turn on when I turn on the parking lights. Please help!

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
ftkeiser said:
My 1973 Opel GT's light went out a few days ago. I have checked the bulbs and fuses and I can't find anything wrong and they just wont turn on. On top of that my dash will not light up when I flip the lights up, but the dash dose turn on when I turn on the parking lights. Please help!

Sounds like a ground problem but first- you did check ALL your fuses- right?

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
ftkeiser said:
hello baronbors,

I checked all the fuses I could find under the steering weel
How long have you had your Opel? Some times the PO puts an inline fuse for the head lights in the engine compartment as the head light design has a bad habit of shorting out at the revolving bucket. This shorting out can cause the lights to go out but usually with alot of sparks and smoke (AKA as fire). Many people put an inline fuse to prevent the short from getting into the rest of the system. I did this on mine- you might want to check yours but it still sounds more like a grounding problem. Find all of your grounds on your wiring diagram and make sure they are making good connection.

·
Opel-ing since '74
1,141 Posts
You also might want to check into the possibility of your micro switches having hung-up. They are located behind the headlight assembly.
Good luck,
Rick

·
rust + magic = gold!
169 Posts
You could also check the connectors on the headlamp relay.

Pin 85 is the signal from the microswitch
Pin 86 is to ground
Pin 87 (there are four) go to headlamp dimmer and park, dash, etc... on fuseblock
Pin 30/51 is power supply

I think that's correct, at least on my 72. You should be able to bypass the microswitch to help isolate the problem.

Bob

1 - 6 of 6 Posts