Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Certified Opelholic
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to make a multi groove pulley setup for the Opel CIH motor.

but I cant find the specs on the multi groove part. I was hoping someone could help me out or point me in the right direction.

this what I have so far

thanks in advance
Davegt27

·
Certified Opelholic
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
multi

thanks but I was looking for some published specs

I have a few Toyota superchargers and a crazy thought came up

why not put a supercharger on an opel CIH motor

the problem is the Opel has an old fashion V-belt

but newer cars like the 1989 MR2 has multi groove setups

i think this is it

http://www.misbelt.com/images/pro/special_timing_belts/microvs.jpg

plus I need a lathe project for this CNC class I am taking

Davegt27

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Dave, you're talking about a serpentine belt pulley on the end of a single groove pulley. That would be a neat piece of machine work, and may have a market, also.

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
I have been Looking!

Some years ago I did some Micro-V pulleys and had the code ... but it has gone now - on an old computer hard disk. :ugh:
The grooves were cut with VBMT tips with 0.4mm nose radius

From memory one groove was drawn out on Master-Cam and replecated the required number of times to produce the complete form. It was an SAE standard.

BTW: Opel CIH motors from 1991-94 (Omegas; Senators and Fronteras) had serpentine belt drives with Micro-V pulleys.

Perhaps your local Gates belt supplier would be able to get you the specs for pulleys suitable for the serpentine belts they supply - if he is real good maybe even the CNC code! Ask for the Toyota Suprcharger belt/pulley specs.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Dave, you're talking about a serpentine belt pulley on the end of a single groove pulley. That would be a neat piece of machine work, and may have a market, also.
It does have a market but will need to be balanced which is why our serpentine setup did not make it too far out the door. In california there is a company that makes them with or without the V-belt add on. See pics enclosed.

Attachments

·
Certified Opelholic
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys

I was thinking of making all new pulleys

Some years ago I did some Micro-V pulleys and had the code ... but it has gone now - on an old computer hard disk.
The grooves were cut with VBMT tips with 0.4mm nose radius

From memory one groove was drawn out on Master-Cam and replicated the required number of times to produce the complete form. It was an SAE standard.

BTW: Opel CIH motors from 1991-94 (Omegas; Senators and Fronteras) had serpentine belt drives with Micro-V pulleys.

Perhaps your local Gates belt supplier would be able to get you the specs for pulleys suitable for the serpentine belts they supply - if he is real good maybe even the CNC code! Ask for the Toyota Supercharger belt/pulley specs.
I went buy NAPA and got some of the info and then applied that formula on that link that I posted to come up with the specs

now I just need to figure out how to draw it

Thanks
Davegt27

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Specs

I went buy NAPA and got some of the info and then applied that formula on that link that I posted to come up with the specs
now I just need to figure out how to draw it
Thanks
Davegt27
The 'spec' in that link is not enough to draw pulleys as it is only a partial of the belt itself - you need specs for the pulley grooves.

The pully has grooves that go right down to a radius - not cut off flat like the bottom of the belt. The cut-off leave clearance room for debris etc.\

You also need the angle of the sides - some belts are 40 degrees; others are 37 1/2 degrees and others yet are 37 degrees.

You need to let us know exactly what type of belt you intend to use - what shape/section is it called?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts