Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
battery box

im a loser i cant find where the battery box goes! a new battery box came with my car new that the PO bought from ogts but i cant find where it goes. right now it has a battery box from a boat in it and i am working on getting the belly pan on but i want to get the battery situated before i go and weld the belly pan. so if some one could post a picture of their batttery box that would be cool.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I know where it goes...it's just trying to explain.

In YOUR photo, the corner closest to the wheel...let's call that position 1. Just to the left of that is a hole for the negative battery terminal. It should be threaded already. The edge just above that we'll call position 2. Position 1 and 2 need to face FORWARD in the bellypan towards the nose of the car. If you look in your bellypan there is sort of a crossmember that the horn's are attached to plus some wires that cross back and forth. The CORNER of THAT crossmember on the PASSENGER side of the car is where you need to place the CORNER of position 1 of the battery holder. The top should be flush with the top of the crossmember I believe.

Any of that make sense? If not, I'll snap a photo of my rusted out battery holder. You'll be able to see what's left of mine and match up what a full battery holder looks like.

-kyle
Hey I tried....;)

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i give you an A+ for trying but i didnt get it, if you could get a picture that would be great

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i still dont get it. does it end up in the middle of the cross member or does it mount against the wheel well? and does it have to be welded in or bolted, and if it is bolted to the holes in the battery box and car already exist?

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
im sorry i still dont get it, from your picture i have looked at my opel for an hour moving the battery box in tons of positions, i see where it goes but i dont see where it attaches. does it get welded on? do i have to cut that piece that is circled off, is that whats holding me up?

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
yes

Yes, the part you have circled needs to be cut off, it is part of the origional battery box. Yours doesn't look like that because it is a reproduction and not an origional part.

Yes, it gets welded on.

No, those holes have nothing to do with bolting it in place. The forward-most one is where the negative battery terminal was origionally hooked-up.

In the rear it welds to the bottom support for the radiator, just below the opening. Judging from the pictures, you will probably have to cut some of the old tray off there as well. The part in the upper left of your photo of the battery box then attaches to the front passengers-side "frame" in the spot you have circled in the above picture, leaving the hold-down "bulge" in you tray not attached to anything and towards the front of the car.

So it only is attached on the passengers side an the rear, and welded on to the side rail and the front of the radiator support. It hangs down pretty low as well, so the top edge of the passengers side rail should be just about even with the top of that part of the battery box.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Bellypans/battery trays

Here's a couple of thoughts:

1) If your bellypan is more or less intact, do whatever you can do to protect it. Consider drilling a few extra drain holes in it--the factory drain holes aren't necessarily at the lowest points of the pan, meaning water can't always drain out, meaning RUST on a car that usually doesn't need any more rust.

2) Consider painting the pan with POR-15 or Bill Hirsch Miracle paint, both sides, top and bottom. Really good protection again rock hits, and everything else. The stuff is expensive, but worth it.

3) Same goes for the battery tray, if it's still there after years of rust and/or battery acid damage. POR-15, or Miracle paint. After that, get a gelcell battery (recommended, they're great) that won't rot the tray like an electrolyte battery, or if you can't afford one, the Eastwood Company sells a "battery mat" which absorbs the acid that attacks the tray. I've used them & they work well. A lot easier to replace than a battery tray.

·
Senior Contributor
903 Posts
Re: Bellypans/battery trays

opelmark said:
get a gelcell battery (recommended, they're great) that won't rot the tray like an electrolyte battery
I'm using a sealed Miata battery from Westco which is both small and light. At $85 it's only a little more expensive than a quality standard battery. I've mounted mine behind the passenger seat in my GT. I cut a hole in the wood seat like piece and recessed a plastic battery box down in the hole. As the floor isn't level here, one should only use a sealed battery. I bent a piece of threaded stainless rod in a U-shape and installed it from the bottom. It goes up through two holes in the floor and two holes in the bottom of the battery box. I then used a piece of aluminum angle to secure the battery down using two nuts on the rod to tension the battery in place. It was all pretty quick and easy...

-Travis

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well i do not like the way that the battery box gets installed or do i like the design of it, so i am fabricating my own. and i am selling the ogts battery box $65 including s/h. ogts is 80 including s/h, save $15. i can also get it powder coated black for $10 more if you contact me before tuesday morning.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
I too am in the process of installing, rather trying to, a replacement battery box, tray. I know it goes on the passenger side, but even with the old one cut off, I am left with a lip, that could be bent backwards and a piece of flat bar installed above the brake line to help secure it. The other question is, if I move the tray itself under the brake MC there are 2 bolt holes that line up with the holes in the replacement tray. However there is a piece of the chassis that is blocking it, and not really knowing what it is, I am very hesitant to cut it. Enclosed are the pictures I took this evening. The battery box is one I got from C&R many years ago. Any recommendations, sugestions? Thank you, Jarrell

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
mount north/south

soybean said:
I too am in the process of installing, rather trying to, a replacement battery box, tray. I know it goes on the passenger side, but even with the old one cut off, I am left with a lip, that could be bent backwards and a piece of flat bar installed above the brake line to help secure it. The other question is, if I move the tray itself under the brake MC there are 2 bolt holes that line up with the holes in the replacement tray. However there is a piece of the chassis that is blocking it, and not really knowing what it is, I am very hesitant to cut it. Enclosed are the pictures I took this evening. The battery box is one I got from C&R many years ago. Any recommendations, sugestions? Thank you, Jarrell
Battery tray mounts north/south . . . longditudinally.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
I tried that Otto, but the back of the tray protrudes through the rot at the back by about one inch. One of the previous owners had fabricated a belly pan that isn't quite long enough in the back. I'm beginning to think about fabricating my own, or relocating it to the rear. One of our club members (Carolina Opels) sent me some pictures of how he did his. I also upgraded to a gel cell battery, before this started, so in the back under the tray might be the best option. I'm going to play around with this for a while until my POR-15 order comes in. I plan to paint the belly pan while the engine and suspension is out. Lots of room now. :) Thanks, Jarrell

1 - 20 of 21 Posts