Opel GT Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
As far as I know, they should work behind any CIH that is mounted straight up (Manta, Ascona, Kadett, 6cyl?), not tilted like the GT.

It would be great if more people got in on this to bring the cost down....for my own (and oem's) personal interests!
Maybe there just needs to be some proof of it in a moving car to get the orders in.

unfortunately once I have my car moving again I won’t likely be making any more plates. 😂

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Progress has been made!

I got the plate cut and bolted up to the transmission.

Automotive exterior Gas Auto part Composite material Bumper

Flowerpot Picture frame Plant Houseplant Wood

Wood Rectangle Grey Font Gas

I had a big slab of space so I wanted to make a little dedication to those who helped me throughout this process.

I bolted it up to the trans to make sure everything worked:
Automotive tire Bumper Gas Automotive wheel system Rim

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Gas

Automotive tire Bumper Bag Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

Wheel Motor vehicle Tire Hood Vehicle

Then I had to make sure the s-10 throw out bearing wasn't binding... it was. (n) So I attempted to clearance it based on @jordan's advice and well, wouldn't you know it, I buggered it all up.

So I ended up ordering a sachs throwout bearing that is a lot nicer and ended up clearing without needing modification.
Tool Drill presses Gas Nickel Machine

I ordered the SKF version as well for comparison and it wasn't as nice.

Hand Camera lens Finger Automotive tire Lens

Attachments

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
After that was all sorted I realized I never actually had a provision on my trans mount for a clutch return spring. (probably because I don't think I ever had a clutch return spring 😅) So I took a tab that was just sitting on my work bench and added it to the trans mount. I don't know if this will be the permanent design but it was a quick and easy way to add a provision for it without over stretching the return spring.

Automotive tire Gas Engineering Wood Cylinder

Automotive tire Machine tool Gas Engineering Machine

All that's left to do is set the clutch fork pin, bolt it in to the car, have a driveshaft made, then wire up the reverse lights and the speedobox converter I got... which also means having a custom speedo cable made. BUT THAT'S IT!🤣

·
Your Noble Friend ;-)
4,584 Posts
That is a pretty thick plate. Will the gear box input shaft still dive into the bearing in the crank shaft?

Dieter

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
That is a pretty thick plate. Will the gear box input shaft still dive into the bearing in the crank shaft?

Dieter
It does! if you'll notice, the trans is sitting upright on a piece of wood. That cut of wood has a hole drilled in it to allow the input shaft to not hit the table, and I'd say that the input shaft is about 3/4th of the way down the block of wood.

·
Über Genius
9,582 Posts

Dieter
There are two dimension properties of the adapter plates. One would be 3/4" thick. The other is, I think 1-1/2 inches thick. It depends on which T5 you pick.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
There are two dimension properties of the adapter plates. One would be 3/4" thick. The other is, I think 1-1/2 inches thick. It depends on which T5 you pick.
Correct.

This is the t5 out of an s197 Mustang.. the v6 version specifically.

You'll notice that @zippy7575 had a similarly thick plate in his conversion for the GT

·
Über Genius
9,582 Posts
Correct.

This is the t5 out of an s197 Mustang.. the v6 version specifically.

You'll notice that @zippy7575 had a similarly thick plate in his conversion for the GT

Yes, I designed his adapter plate.

·
Über Genius
9,582 Posts
I thought you designed the s-10 t5 plate.
Yup, I did that one as well. Or, at least one version of it. I'm told there were two previous versions. The difference being that my design was waterjet cut. The other two versions were cast.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts