Opel GT Forum banner

41 - 60 of 84 Posts

·
Opel Key Master
5,200 Posts
I am developing the kit for the following car in the link.http://www.opelgt.com/forums/opel-gt-restoration-project/28118-opel-gt-restoration-taken-extreme-logbook-file.html I am about 80% of the way, but some of the features have caused the cost to go up quite a bit. Custom machined parts really added, but already looking to possibly have them made of steel and welded plates instead of the aluminum machined parts. I am going to have consoles based off the ARA being made too, they will be vacuum formed like the originals, and be compatible with original setups if someone only wants the console. Like I said I am almost finished with the hard parts of the engine bay, the system is designed to install in a stock GT without cutting the air cleaner mount. I am not 100% if the air cleaner can go back in or not though.

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
Fittings are not a problem, you can convert the existing to just about anything if you have the right stuff to do it with. And yes, I was using a Honda replacement condenser and a chrome version of the same alternator you are using, along with the 509. Since then, I now use a compressor which better fits the build and it is less power robbing.

So the answer is yes, there is a compressor that has the same stats as the one that you are using and fits on the passenger side, with a 5 rib belt or dual V-belt. Funny because it is used on a car with a cabin twice the size of a GT, cools like a freezer and with minor power loss.
Juan are you using a variable?

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Juan are you using a variable?
Of course I use variables, otherwise how would I be able to calculate the required delta T!

Kidding aside, I am using a very compact rectangular compressor which is only 3" in depth. It fits perfectly on the passenger side of the GT, with room to spare and no modifications or re-routing of the cooling hoses required. All you need is a double crank pulley and you are set to go.

I'll probably be putting a complete system on Edwin's GT when the time comes.

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
I'll probably be putting a complete system on Edwin's GT when the time comes.
Oh ...well need to to work hand-to-hand with this.

I've got to make some sort of power with Ed's build.
Most of the pieces are in place...or are being worked on.:D

·
Opelicious
176 Posts
Most of us just want an easy way to I install A/C without having to build custom parts. If the collective brain trusts collaborate and build a kit everybody wins! =)

On that note, I hope to start working on mine again and I've had to work on the A/C system of every other vehicle I own so this thread is spot on!

-JT

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Oh ...well need to to work hand-to-hand with this.

I've got to make some sort of power with Ed's build.
Most of the pieces are in place...or are being worked on.:D
Not only power but better cooling. Most people just add the A/C without looking into the impact of the additional load on the cooling system. The engine will come up to temperature and then very slowly creep up and overheat. A kit is nice but then comes the second part, you just added a bolt on 20% heat load on a stock radiator which is marginal at best. So if you are increasing the HP on his engine, we need to also look into placing a larger radiator and a push/pull cooling fan.

Everyone wants a bolt on kit that is easy to install, what can be easier than to install one bracket and change your crank pulley. The rest is just placing components, hooking up hoses and a couple of wires to connect.

·
Patrick
861 Posts
Wow a thread is sparked .... Who can or can't do it right.. There's not a big market... In marketing always replace but with However.... Just saying.... Well yes a better cooling system a little more HP to run it, it all goes together. No purple pill does it all.

·
Opel Key Master
5,200 Posts
My simple statement is, I am developing a true bolt-in system that you will not need any major tools to install if you want one. You can follow the progress on the restoration thread. You will probably see it all in person at the 2013 Nationals working in a car. If after I am finished and have a price figured out, you can actually purchase this and know it is complete and able to install without modifications. I am not just talking about it, you can follow the thread and see it for yourself. If anyone else wants to build kits, go for it. I had to, and in result I can offer them as duplicates of what I install in 2 Opels here at the shop.
Keith

·
Patrick
861 Posts
I don't think he has to worry... He does it right...... :cool:

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Wow a thread is sparked .... Who can or can't do it right.. There's not a big market... In marketing always replace but with However.... Just saying.... Well yes a better cooling system a little more HP to run it, it all goes together. No purple pill does it all.
There are no sparks, I am just talking about Edwin's car and the new engine being built.

Anything else is my opinion, not knocking any ones effort nor do I want to be in the Opel A/C trade, Opel restorations or anything that involves working on Opels.

I use my knowledge and resources to just help my friends out, period.

·
Opeler
3,720 Posts
I am using a very compact rectangular compressor which is only 3" in depth. It fits perfectly on the passenger side of the GT, with room to spare and no modifications or re-routing of the cooling hoses required. All you need is a double crank pulley and you are set to go.
Juan, the community would be grateful if you identify that compressor for us, please?

·
Über Genius
9,354 Posts
Perhaps I'm oversimplifying things but couldn't the "venting" be accomplished by adding the cooling side of the AC coils to the "cold" (or rather recirculating) side of the heater assembly?
Then a simple AC ON/OFF switch to go from recirculating to AC. You could even engage the AC during the defrost, for those who are still crazy enough to drive a GT in the Winter.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Juan, the community would be grateful if you identify that compressor for us, please?
The compressor is no big secret, I have been using a unit from a Suzuki SX4; which is made to cool a small SUV. I made the brackets for a GT and also two different style pulleys, so it could be used in a V-belt or 5 rib serpentine system. It is very efficient when the components are match to the system.

And if it is THAT much better then Keith will probably have to redesign his compressor bracket to accommodate it. :D

Harold
I believe Keith is doing fine on its own. If anything I would offer to make the brackets for him so at least he would have a fair cost.

Perhaps I'm oversimplifying things but couldn't the "venting" be accomplished by adding the cooling side of the AC coils to the "cold" (or rather recirculating) side of the heater assembly?
Then a simple AC ON/OFF switch to go from recirculating to AC. You could even engage the AC during the defrost, for those who are still crazy enough to drive a GT in the Winter.
I know I have said this before but on a GT, the first thing that is needed when adding A/C is to seal off the two side vents. You then have to seal the main outside vent that is over the heater/blower core as well. To do this properly, you would need to take the dash out, perform the work and then re-install it. If you don't, you loose about 30% efficiency due to the outside air being injected and might not be cold enough for some places.

There is no way to modify the existing heater/blower system to add A/C. The room available inside the case does not allow you to do it, and that is why the bulky console with the rear evaporator was added. Several years ago we made a heat/cool unit for the GT and other small cars with limited depth in the passenger side dash area. We offered it for sale to Opel owners, I even offered to install one free of charge and document how it was done, no one wanted it. So we changed the design and sold plenty of them to other car club members. I still have the molds to make the case, tooling for the flanges to mount the blower motor and so on, inside a box stored at Radical rides.

·
Opeler
1,488 Posts
PJ here's another good read dealing with the modern A/C compressors.
Delphi Compressors
That is an interesting article and a little mind blowing to think of having compressor discharge pressures of 120 Bar (1,750 psig). Good luck on keeping those systems sealed up.
That is 50% higher than the operating pressure of a typical high-pressure, offshore natural gas pipeline.

·
Detritus Maximus
2,751 Posts
I know I have said this before but on a GT, the first thing that is needed when adding A/C is to seal off the two side vents. You then have to seal the main outside vent that is over the heater/blower core as well. To do this properly, you would need to take the dash out, perform the work and then re-install it. If you don't, you loose about 30% efficiency due to the outside air being injected and might not be cold enough for some places.
How does this differ from the dealer add-on a/c?

41 - 60 of 84 Posts