Opel GT Forum banner

81 - 84 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Alternator is Denso 70A. There are many on Ebay. It comes with its own small diameter pulley; do not replace it with Opel pulley. Denso smaller pulley enables higher RPM, required by this compact size alternator.

Regarding condenser, I did not keep the purchase record but it was bought on Ebay by size. I tried to stay as close as possible to the Opel radiator size. It was tight fit and I had to relocate ports. They were oriented toward the side of the condenser where there is no space in narrow GT bay. I also had to trim the condenser lip to clear brake booster.
Thanks.

·
Opeler
1,226 Posts
I have finished installation of modern A/C system in my GT few days ago, just in time for long drive to Carlisle. I tested it yesterday at 86F (yes even in Ontario, Canada we get hot days!). The A/C works great and with windows closed, the wind and exhaust noise is gone making it quite comfortable ride.

I used Sandon SD508 compressor and slim condenser with 2000 cfm electrical fan. I made brackets for the fan so that it can be quickly removed without use of tools which allows easy access to the battery.

Compressor took alternator's place and compact Denso alternator has been installed on the passenger side.

I am using double v-belt drive for the compressor and cog belt type for the alternator and water pump. Using separate drive for the compressor secures normal driveability of car in the case of A/C failure.

The A/C unit (evaporator) is installed under the rear deck. I choose Coldmaster unit with 3-speed fan.
PJ-

I've got a few questions for you about how you did a couple of things on your A/C install.

1) How and what did you use for mounting of the Denso alternator on the passenger side? Did the Sanden compressor bolt up without modification to the stock alternator location?

2) Since you've got dual carbs, did this affect the room you had for cold air ducting & air box?

3) What pulley did you use for the crank? Where did you get that part?

4) I know you installed the A/C unit under the rear deck lid, how did you run the vent lines out?

5) Where did you install the controls for the A/C?

Now that it's been a few years since your install, is there anything you would have done differently? If you have any other finished pictures of the interior to see the finished project, it would be great to see.

Thanks,

Eric

·
Opeler
3,720 Posts
I choose Sanden compressor as it is very common and reliable. I am using brackets available from Vintage Air https://www.vintageair.com/brackets/ I welded them on the plate that could bolt in the original alternator place.

I had to make custom bracket for Denso alternator. Alternator is mounted low, so there is no restriction to cold air intake.

I am using standard 2.4 crankshaft pulley which I modified for use with a cog belt. You can retain V-belt.

Cold air duct is original ARA central console. Keith Lundholm has made very nice central console. Actually, you can get from him bolt-on A/C kit.

Attachments

81 - 84 of 84 Posts