Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Vendor
2,585 Posts
I've never seen one in person, but obviously this mod has been executed successfully more than once.
They actually look pretty good here but you will need some extremely long arms to close them while sitting in the cockpit.
I also wonder if they are a problem with structural integrity in such a small uni-body car? I'd like to see a picture of the roof line (doors closed) to see how well they integrate
from a cosmetic standpoint. I have heard the DeLorean guys complaining about leaking, but that may only be an issue for that make.
I think having a motorized door would be even cooler, but introduces a bunch more engineering issues.

·
Opeler
912 Posts
I’m voting on #3, the project car in primer with no doors!
According to the “digital timestamp” of that picture, it’s from 2010....so, I’m not sure what it may be like in 2020. But I’m guessing Gordo isn’t going for something that isn’t close to done

·
Opeler
912 Posts
Okay, the financial matters have gone through, so now the truth can be told.

I have bought the black, maybe also a little purplish, gullwing GT in the first and last pics above. I'm pretty sure the last pic is the same car, but I don't know for sure. I bought it from Todd Martin at Opels Unlimited. He has had the car for almost 20 years. This gullwing was never finished. The gullwing mod, chassis reinforcement, bodywork, and paint were completed at least 20 years ago, but the engine, interior, and all the other fix up stuff was never completed. A guy in Germany paid a shop $10K to do the mods, bodywork, and paint, but ended up in a dispute over payment. The car got sold to another guy who then sold it to Klaus Priewe, the owner of the gullwing pictured above that says "Radnor" on it. He then sold it, along with another gullwing with a crazy body kit, to Todd Martin. Todd sold it to a guy, who was on a long term payment plan, who at some point disappeared for 4 years, then reappeared. This played out over 8 years and the guy never took possession of the car. The deal eventually fell through. Todd kept it as his showroom car all these past 18-20 years and it sometimes sat outside in his lot. He fixed it up a little with a dash and some suspension fix ups and upgrades, plus some nice wheels and bumpers, but I don't think it has had an engine in it for 20+ years. Our deal deleted a few of his fix up items to bring the price down.

It will be a few months before it arrives at my house, as things sort themselves out.

:)
Congrats on getting a retirement project!

·
Senior Contributor
1,525 Posts
Very Cool Gordo,, That's a Great Project Car for you, It will Surely Keep you busy for a while..
Best Good Luck (y)
Kinda reminds me of a DeLorean.. Hey.... but what happens if some one parks to the left and right of you,
are you trapped in the Car with those Gull wing Doors.. or locked out?? LOL

·
Your Noble Friend ;-)
4,082 Posts
Congratulations! Are you moving to a larger house/garage, or will one of them have to park on the street?

Dieter

·
Detritus Maximus
2,230 Posts
Congrats Gordon! I particularly like the two blue ones. A good period style to them without being 'garish'. (I don't think the Germans have a word for that...)

Anyway, take a look at how the lift struts are mounted. If they have ball and socket mounts inspect how the balls are mounted to the car, if they are in shear. Those type mounts tend to get torqued by the force of opening and closing and can work loose or wallow out their mounts.

·
Senior Contributor
1,525 Posts
Holy Cow! I like that single side draft set up,,(y), Looks awfully pretty too. Works nice too...
I've been thinking going that way instead of the stock Jetronic system.. I Got. mum.. why? It's really a simple setup... just has no air filter,,,or filter or element box ...I Guess? . just Horns

·
Detritus Maximus
2,230 Posts
There is a yellow that was used on the 3rd gen RX7s called Competition Yellow Mica. It was kind of a 'pearl' yellow, but not really. It was a finer more subtle effect than pearl or metallic. I think Mitsubishi had a similar color for the 3000GT. Its a color that shows of curves really well. I hear it can be a real pain to get right. It doesn't reflect the sun the same way as a clear coat over straight yellow.

I love the eagle wearing sunglasses...

1993-Mazda-RX-7-CYM-21.jpg

Reactions: The Scifi Guy

·
Senior Contributor
1,525 Posts
Mike, the Steinmetz SSD is made for 1.9/2.0 engines, mine was modded for my raised port 2.4. It's also made specifically for a GT and is angled to dodge the heater box, so no need to remove the heater to add an air box. My heater box was removed so I was able to make a slightly larger air box. I would recommend cable throttle, like I installed on my GTX. I can help you work all these details out no problem. I even have a brand new Chinese, latest style, 45DCOE if you want it. PJ loved his Chinese Webers. A 45 is a little big for your engine, but you could fix that with smaller chokes. Here's a pic of the air box I made for my Steinmetz SSD:

View attachment 428458

I can't find my airbox development pics in my computer, so they must be in my Albums on the site here or they only exist in my side draft threads.

Holy Cow Gordon
That looks sweet,, wait,, wait Gosh I had to turn down the brightness over here... Super Neat and Clean
--WoW--
You Earn the Mikey Award of the day "" Your Engine Bay Is Cleaner / brighter Than My Windshield"":cool:

I just got the Motor back from the Machine Shop from Cape Cod, waited way too long

It's the Motor I got from You, and I made it into a Stock 2.0 L Motor ,,in case I was going Jetronic way
I have tons of Opel work here to do,, I might need your help with some of it,,
The single side Draft Looks to be Simple,, way to Go... Is it more powerful than my 38/38 set up?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts