Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I'm replacing the entire instrument panel on my 73 GT with one from a donor car. However the new panel has a switch to the left of the brake light and I don't know what's that for. Any help is appreciated! Thanks in advance! Mike
Light Bumper Audio equipment Automotive exterior Material property

·
Premium Member
1970 Pearl White GT
119 Posts
Usually on the US cars its not hooked up to anything but it is a real functional switch. For the EURO spec cars it was for the front fog lights.

·
Registered
1970 Opel Gt - Purchased July 1972 - Chartreuse - restored - 3000 miles as of 02-16, 2021 -
813 Posts
Always wondered what that switch was for as it appears to be ready and able to be operational. Thanks....Carl

·
Your Noble Friend ;-)
4,482 Posts
Here we go again ... The thingies on the Euro-spec GTs are NOT fog lights, they are High Beams (aka Brights, blinding thingies, do-not-have-them-on-when-a-car-is-in-front-of-you-thingamajigs).
The LED conversion lights for the US-spec turn signal buckets which are sold from OGTS actually are fog lights.

That switch seems to be from a Rallye Kadett, and they were available with "real" fog lights.

Dieter

Land vehicle Vehicle Light Speedometer Motor vehicle

Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Hood

Car Vehicle Land vehicle Tire Wheel

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the intel. Sounds like I'll keep it disconnected. Since I don't have fog lights and don't anticipate driving in foggy conditions. ARF!

·
Premium Member
1970 Pearl White GT
119 Posts
so the Euro cars have 2 buttons that control the same light? Or does the top "driving light" button control their bucket lights?

·
Registered
76 Posts
so the Euro cars have 2 buttons that control the same light? Or does the top "driving light" button control their bucket lights?
I know it is NOT the correct thing to do, but I have on a couple of my GT's connected this switch to my headlight relay when I had a faulty or stubborn micro switch issue. The only down side is the lights could be on with the buckets closed. I still have a 70 set up this way. What does the FSM call this switch, auxiliary lights or fog lights ?

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
What does the FSM call this switch, auxiliary lights or fog lights ?
The 73 fsm doesn't designate it at all, How ever the switch beside the parking lights is designated as inoperative.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Did a quick google on the symbol itself on the switch and it is in fact the universal symbol for "fog lamp".

·
Premium Member
1970 Pearl White GT
119 Posts
Did a quick google on the symbol itself on the switch and it is in fact the universal symbol for "fog lamp".
[/QUOTE

that is what i found too but seems it was for the lower high beams.
But why do some of the cars come with clear and yellow lights? Clear were driving lights and Yellow have to be??? Fog lights right?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hi Chad,
Mine were orange and were strictly for parking lamps and turn signals. I think EU cars were set up differently than US cars and over the years the cars have became a hodge-podge of interchanged parts. LOL.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts