Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Senior Contributor
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan on getting insurance on my 1971 opel gt. can't seem to get a quote online. Can anyone tell me what type of insurance they have and how much it costs. Keep in mind im a 1st timer and im only 16.

·
Opel fan
357 Posts
insurance

Well, it depends on a lot of things. Which insurance co.? Are you going to have the car insured under your name or your parents policy? Is this car going to be your only transportation ? Because classic or collector car insurance can get pretty cheap if you meet the ins.co. criteria. Most insurance companies consider the GT as just another 2-door sedan and don't price it out as a sports car. Then there are deductible variations that can change the price you pay, multi car discounts, good student discounts, drivers ed. discounts, also point violations on your drivers license to consider. I am 41, have a buch of different discounts, and paid 60$ a month for liability when I had the GT on my regular insurance, but then I live in New Jersey, home to the highest insurance rates in the nation! Then I got classic car insurance which limited the circumstances that I drove the car significantly as compared to a regular daily whenever/whatever driver, but, it only costs 54$ a year. My 19 yr old daughter has a 93 Lebaron conv. that costs 90$ a month for liability, my other daughter, 20 yrs old, pays 150$ a month for full coverage on a 2001 Mitsubishi Lancer.I bet with the minimun amount of insurance required by your states laws, even though you are a young male, unmarried driver; the most likely to cause them to have to pay out money statisticaly wise, you'd still get away with less than a hundred a month. That's about what you'd have to pay out here if you have a clean driving record. If not, don't move to NJ, it's ridiculous! Yours should be cheaper than that, maybe/hopefully half of that? So, keep her between the ditches and good luck. :)

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
I am also 16, I was looking online and it seemed like $1400 at the least and $1900 at the most for one year and $7k collision and comp. and $300k for personal, passenger and other people involved in an accident. Then I found out that state farm on my fathers classic car plan was the best route, some advice dont have glass insurance It's not worth it in the long run with a car having glass available so cheap. now my insurance is $820 a year and Im glad it's that low! I have a few friends that are paying $2000 a year. also some more advice, Don't get arrested, don't get ANY moving violations, dont get in an accident. If you do you may find that your insurance costs can double.

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,115 Posts
i pay 100 bucks a month for PLPD, i'm under my parents policy, but they way its set up, i am only allowed to drive the GT and nobody else can drive my GT, hard to explain, they said it was the cheapest way to go.

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
ouch

My GT was $13 a month for liability insurance with State Farm. No restrictions with that either. I am 29, which will make a significant difference, but I did once have an accident with my insurance agent's secretary, so the age probably doesn't help that much. :)

·
4ZUA787
665 Posts
i live in cali and have AAA auto insurance which covers me with almost everything plus the 24 hour road side assistance and all, and i pay about $83 a month, which i have found pretty cheap since my bro who drives a 87 toyota 4 runner is payin close to a 150 a month, i guess it jus depends on on off the cops can catch u.......GTs are pretty quick.

·
179 Posts
Hagerty Insurance Company...

$10,000 agreed upon value... unmodifyed car... $0 deductable... no mileage limitation... $70 per year.

same as above... but a modifyed car... $160 per year.

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,115 Posts
pvcar: commenting on your comment about getting away from cops. when we do get away, it'll probably come back to bite us in the ass one day, because most of us wiht GTs have "one of a kind" cars with no others that are like them, and let alone just having a GT makes it rare, so they'll get ya one day or another for something just cuz you got away that one day, and they'll nail ya as hard as they can....unfortunately i'm waiting for my day twice over.

·
4ZUA787
665 Posts
yah your right bout that, but u could play ur car off as something else since here in palos verdes there are lots of people with really really nice old or new cars that they only take out a few times a year, so u can usaully pull it off as o that musta been my dad drivin or o u mean the guy down the street from me with that really nice red corvette.

·
Opeler
41 Posts
I'm going to drag up this thread to revisit it. I'm trying to get insurance on the Opel so my son can drive it. He's 16, almost 17. AIG, who has my insurance for the primary vehicles, won't insure the Opel because it was "limited production". Grundy, Hagerty, etc. won't insure my son, just due to his age.

I know some of the posters here are young. Just how, exactly, are your cars insured?

I'd settle for liability only, but that's not even available.

·
Super Moderator
3,275 Posts
Grundy, Hagerty, etc. won't insure my son, just due to his age.
I had to have a form notarized stating that I wasn't going to let anyone under the age of 25 drive my Opel GT before Grundy would insure my car! Can you not get your insurance to add him to your policy?

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
I can tell you the larger insurance companies will insure your GT and son, but the premiums will be high. Best bet is to call them and ask what the rates will be, then go for the best. Here in CA, you have to have uninsured motorist coverage, because of the influx of tourists from the south of me, along with PL & PD, plus medical. Because of all that it's almost as cheap to get full coverage. Three sets of wheels for me is about $450 every six months, God help me when I get my three bikes in storage operational. :eek:

·
Registered
329 Posts
Well since im 16 and my gt was my first car. i got like 100/300 coverage and its 130 a month. And thats just liability.

·
531 Posts
Try to look on the bright side

Well, at least you have the option of searching for other insurance companies. Here in B.C., we have one insurance company, run by the government (sort of), thus there is no competition. If you don't like their rates - too bad!
Haven't insured my opel yet, as I haven't finished jumping through all the hoops I have to before they will insure it (safety inspection because of the modifications, emissions testing, etc.) But to give you an idea of the rates, it costs me $1000/year to drive my '82 P.O.S. with only liability, no collision, and I'm at the maximum discount level (clean record, more than 10 years).

I hope you find a company to insure your car at a reasonable rate. Good Luck!

jtb

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.