Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
bad day

its been a bad day all ready for me my gt got hit and all the light are busted in the rear the rear end has fold up some and the ins said that it total and want to know whats worth i have no clue whats it really worth in real dollars do any of you

help
thank you

·
1450 Seeker...
613 Posts
Sorry to hear about your accident. Is everyone ok?

The insurance company will have the final say. There is a good price guide on the Hemmings Opel GT site (go to Opel Web Links on this site). I think that most of the prices on that site have moved up a little bit since then, but it is a good reference none the less.

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
I had the same thing happen with one of my GTs. The insurance company said that it would be more money to fix than the car was worth. Total damage was around 800. I fought with them and I wound up with the 800 and the car. I have since found out that all you have to do is find the same model in the same condition for sale. Then you can fix the value at what the selling price is. Most blue book type valuations are low to very low. Some insurance companies are set in thier ways about totalling cars out, but do not let them take it. Get the max that you can money wise and keep the car. Right now I have mine insured as a classic with full coverage. Value on it is carved in stone at 12000. It cost me 125 a year for that coverage. There are a boat load of clauses with it. Also check to see what rights you have in your particular state. I hope this has a silver lining for you. Keep on them and don't believe everything they say. It is in thier best interest to rip you off. Good luck and I hope it's fixable.

·
Detritus Maximus
2,779 Posts
If you look at the pics under my name you will see my car. I received $900 for a light tap in the back end that pushed the inner ends of the bumpers inward about 2". Only broke the lenses on the ends of the bumpers.

The side damage you can see in another photo was a hit and run about six months later. I made the claim with my own insurance company (Allstate). I got a check for $1700. The valuation was done by their adjuster. He couldn't actually find a reference for the GT in collector car value guides so we went with Manta prices (which I told him were generally lower than GT) and adjusted for all the new parts I had in the car (new 2.0 motor, new Weber, new three row radiator, tires, etc.) that were less than a year old.

Never did fix the back end before the second accident. The second was a 'total'. It worked out to $2200 minus a $500 buy back.

Not bad for a $400 car.

The thing to remember is that I was not in the car in either case, so I know they weren't trying to be nice hoping I would be happy and not sue for personal injury.
In general, find as many ads for cars like yours, whether the same condition or not, to establish a price range. Gather all receipts for negotiating. Usually they will credit half of the parts cost if they are less than a year old.
Negotiate the value of the car, but do not mention buying it back until after you settle on a value. Odds are they do not want to deal with disposing of a 30 year old car.

·
Senior Contributor
730 Posts
Absolutly buy the car back. Tell them it's for parts. My #1 GT was a rear ender that I traded a Vegs for. I made a flat panel replacement for it at a metal fab shop for next to nothin. Took 4 days to break the spot welds and prep it. Just waiting for nicer weather (and to finish my Jeep) to start the wirewelding it into place. After that, it's just a mater of cutting triangle for the rear corners and alittle bondo smoothing. No sense junking a 85% good ride.
My 2c's

·
Registered
29 Posts
opel value

ya the same thing happened to me. i was rearended by some jerk in a toyota 4runner and the back of my gt folded like an accordian. i went to sgi ( insurance company in saskctewan) and they said that it was totaled. they estimated the car being worth $8000!!!!!!!! but i settled for $4000 and i got to keep my gt. thats my story and im stickin to it

·
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i think i can get most of the parts from gill
but i cant seem to find the rear trim
where can i get that from

·
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yep
that it but i still have wait for the ins company
thank you for your help