Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Life Long Opeler
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I called my insurance company last night to see about getting coverage for my GT. A) They didnt even have it in their database under Opel or Buick and they said they couldnt cover it then. B) They said that unless I register it as a classic show car and have it covered by another insurance company, that even if they COULD insure it, they would only be able to cover it for a value of about $600.

Sooooo I call the insurance company that insures classic cars and they asked me the condition. I told them that it has been in storage for about 14 years and there is a little body rust on the back fender and then she says...."Oh well, then I cant cover you. We only insure cars in show condition" Well CRAP!!!! Now what do I do?:mad:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Insurance can be tough, I switched all mine to Farm Bureau.
Told them I wanted them insured for 5000 a piece they said OK and didn't give me any static about it. I pay in the neighborhood of 350 a year for it. Of course Ins. is REALLY LOW in Wyoming.:D
Clay

·
Life Long Opeler
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmmm $350's not bad

Great American, the company that insures "Show Vehicles", told be $250 a year for about $3500 in value, so I guess thats about in line.

Hey, I just thought of something. My homeowners is through All State. Ill call them.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Yeah mine was $270.00 but I told them I wanted hail damage coverage also. Jumped $80.00 a year then. Good Luck with All State maybe they will treat you right.

·
Super Moderator
1,798 Posts
One or 2 more companies

Companies like Eastwood will do an "assigned value" or "agreed value" coverage where you set the value of the policy and they use your value and a rick factor screening to set the cost of the insurance. These policies are great, but read the fine print to se if their liability covers you enough for your state.
I have been with State Farm for 22 Opels over the last 14 years. Liability typically runs @$8-12 a month and comp/collission an additional $22-35 a month.

·
Life Long Opeler
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
contact info??

Do you have a number for Eastwood??

·
Super Moderator
1,798 Posts
Better yet, try:

http://www.eastwoodinsurance.com/index.htm

or:

http://www.metlife.com

Both may be able to help you out. Also try picking up a copy of Hemmings Motor News, there are usually 5-10 companies that specialize in classic car insurance. Just read the fine print bafore you sign-up, most don't insure "daily driver" cars, instead focusing on parade cars that get very few miles a year.

One more option I use from time to time is suspending the insurance. In most states the car only needs insurance while it is being driven, not in storage (NY is one exception.) Typically you can go to your agent and sign a form that states you won't drive the car without calling them first. Then if you want to go for a drive, you call and the policy is reactivated. When you are done driving you go back to your agent ant fill out the form again, and the insurance is suspended again. I use this trick when I go on deployment, and it works great because they don't charge, or only charge a minimal maintenance fee, when the car is in storage, streaching a 3 month premium for almost a year. It is a bit of a hassle but it makes a regular policy much more reasonable.

·
648 Posts
I just switched mine from a standard policy (Progressive) to a specialty one, with Heacock. I was paying over $500/year without colision. I 'll be paying $250/y for full coverage with an agreed value of $6000. I'll then raise it as I put more money into it. I'll be limited to 2500 mile a year, which they will also let me raise later if needed.
Voodoo, your excitement over your toy is contagous. Keep it up!
Bestus,
James

·
Registered
200 Posts
I pay about $250/yr with State Farm, $0 deductables, but only 8 months are covered on liability. My 70 Nova is about the same rate and coverage is the same. The one they really hit me on though is my 99 Audi A6, $250 deductables run me $120/month. Thats with my fairly bad recent driving record, which includes: 9 over on freeway, 10 over in city, failure to yield turning left, too fast for conditions, $10,000 in accident, and a $16,000 theft payout.

·
648 Posts
Okay, I had the name wrong. I received my new policy in the mail today. It is with Condon and Skelly. They are now owned by MetLife. I bought this through my agent. I have full coverage with a $250 deductable and a fixed value of $6000, and a 2500 mile/year limit. It cost me $211/year. Their number is
800-257-9496

Hope this helps,
james

·
Life Long Opeler
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks James

:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts