Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,768 Posts
The "sprint" exhaust manifold came on the 75 F.I. Opels (Manta, Sportwagon, and Sedan) These were the only ones and year in the US, but, there are the 2.0, 2.2, and 2.4 motors that were strictly overseas.

·
Administrator
10,293 Posts
I believe the "sprint" was also available around '68 in a special version of the Kadett. That may explain your intake/exhaust combo. Is that engine a 1.9 or a 1.5 from the Kadett? The first 3 digits on the engine number will tell.

·
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think its 1.9, solid lifter, "high" compression engine. I had the valve cover off and seem to remember 1.9 on the head. I'll look at the block too.

That intake/exhaust combo looks like it would keep the intake charge much cooler.

Garry

·
Super Moderator
14,180 Posts
Gary said:
I believe the "sprint" was also available around '68 in a special version of the Kadett. That may explain your intake/exhaust combo. Is that engine a 1.9 or a 1.5 from the Kadett? The first 3 digits on the engine number will tell.
The Sprint exhaust originally came on a Rekord Sprint in '68, not a Kadett. And that car had twin downdraft Weber 40 DFO's on a special intake rather than a single downdraft intake and carb.

I've never seen an intake like the one shown. It also appears to be VERY short where the plenum area is. Can you find the date of manufacture on the casting anywhere? It's usually a very small circle with the last two digits of the year embossed in it.

Bob

·
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I found some numbers but have a feeling it won't help much. The intake does have 3 ports like the later model manifolds. The engine is 1.9. The intake is mostly covered with white paint so I'm not sure if there are more numbers there.

The diagonal numbers are hard to read. I make them to be 9275769. Can't miss that Opel logo ! :)

Attachments

·
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Gave this intake a good cleaning. It looks to be a 73 that has been externally modified. Now you can see where the casting has been smoothed on the cylinder 3-4 side. You can also see where the connection to the exhaust manifold has been ground away on the bottom.

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
74 Intake

Yeah, that's a 1974 (notice USA inverted at the plenum floor) that's someone's done the "external modification" trip on, basically what I've done to 74s. That's a great intake, Garry, you scored. That's THE intake to have. Any porting done to it internally? Have you read RBs article? Good reading . . .

·
Registered
67 Posts
So, to answer the original question, this intake came off a 1974 Manta, Ascona, or Sportwagon. This looks like one of those rare cases where the Previous Owner actually did something right.

There were a FEW P.O.s who knew what they were doing. Just not enough to offset the dummies.
:rolleyes:

·
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Kind of a sad story about this car. I bought it as a parts car from a really nice couple. They got it from a family member that passed away. Near the end of the cars driveable life it really seems to have fallen into disarray. The electrical system is a disaster, there are some rust problems, the interior needs to be gutted, and the engine has a lot of noise(valve train and knocking).

The car came with misc parts including 1 extra sprint style exhaust manifold.

It looks like there has been minimal internal work done to the intake manifold.

·
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That intake & exhaust will be going on my 1973 GT. I'm not doing a full restore on the 73. I want it to be a daily driver.

The parts car is a 70. For now I just use it for misc for the 73. It did have some good dash switches. The head had been redone
with oversize valves. The engine was built years ago by someone who knew what they where doing.(info from PO and it looks to be true)

Have not decided what to do with it. I think it would make a good racecar. That would be a blast:D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts