Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Has anyone performed the Modifications spelled out in the "Intake Modifications for performance" document...

http://clubs.hemmings.com/clubsites/oana/tech/Intake.pdf

... found on the Opel Association of North America website?

http://clubs.hemmings.com/clubsites/oana/tech.html to see all such documents....

If you have performed them was it worth the effort and cost? How long did it take you and what kind of imporvement did you see/feel/get?

Are there irreversable risks in doing these mods?

Thanks, Mark

·
792 Posts
Intake Mods

I did a little porting on one of my own (with a little welding help from a local machine shop...$20-$30) It was on a basket case Opel that I soon after sold so it wouldn't be a good case study but it did run and sound different.

I have another one that was recently done by Bob Legere(when he had time to do this stuff) and have not yet put it on a car.
Bottomline is this:
If an Opel expert with the knowledge of Bob Legere says "it is the single best bang for the buck on an Opel". I believe him. His craftmanship and knowledge of Opels through trial and error testing is good enough for me and most Opelers on this forum. Ask SamDogg(who drives a "Legereized" Opel) what 192 horses at the rear wheels feels like.)

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Yep!

Rally Bob lives here! To be sure people here have done the mods - some even have genuine "Rally Bob" manifolds done by the Opel Guru himself. I think GreenSmurf20 actually has one.
The "irreversable effects" = a lust for even more horsepower!
Put "Intake Manifold" in the Search Box at the top of the page and search the site for comments. ;)

·
Opeler
38 Posts
Intake Manifold For A Carborated 2.2l Gt

I just getting my GT off the ground. I have a 2.2L FI and I want to go carborated. Will the intake for a 1.9 fit and if it will will I lose horse power? Or is there something else out their that I should be looking to use.

·
Super Moderator
13,844 Posts
bmetsoldier said:
I just getting my GT off the ground. I have a 2.2L FI and I want to go carborated. Will the intake for a 1.9 fit and if it will will I lose horse power? Or is there something else out their that I should be looking to use.
The 1.9 intake will not fit without some custom work. The intake dowel locating holes will need to be drilled in a new location, and some welding to the flange will be required. And yes, you will lose some power, as the 1.9 intake does not match the 2.2 intake ports correctly.

Bob

·
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Does anyone know if there are people that do these for people like me without the shop and tools? Also, I noticed the article mentioned that the standard exhaust manifold may not handle the ported/torquer mods... Does this set of mods require a direct header or some custom exhaust manifold? Are these available?

Thanks... Mark

·
792 Posts
A 1975 Exhaust manifold or a "good" set of headers is the best way to go. There also have been a few Opelers that have separated the pre-75 manifolds and modified the exhaust manifold so it can work with a ported intake. Check the forum and i think you will find a pic of what I am referring to. I fair amount of grinding and welding on the exhaust manifold. It can be done!

·
Opeler
38 Posts
Thanks I guess I have to try and find something from another car that will match or have one made. I've done a lot in preping this engine to go in the GT and somehow just forgot about the intake manifold. I have everything I need to go FI but really didn't want to go that route. I can't beleive there is nothing out there. Does anyone have any other solutions I might can try!

·
Member 1000 Post Club
1,520 Posts
The street ported intake, like the pictures above, can still be bolted up to the stock exhaust manifold.

·
1,973 Posts
I am kind of at a stand still with my manifold, it is warped but it can get unwarped, and I can't figure out a good way to weld the divider with out a pencil torch. And I may have ported it too much, what do you think bob? sorry the pictures are aweful.

Attachments

·
Opeler
56 Posts
my solution to welding

I cut my wedge out of a block of aluminum and then traced the shape onto the engine side of the mainfold. I carefully cut out the shape and then placed my wedge inside. The wedge was long enough to sit just proud of the chamber. I shaped the ends so it followed the profile of the exterior and interior walls of the mainfold and then I bevelled the outside edges to prep for the weld. A quick trip to my local weldshop, $10.00 cash and they welded the wedge into place from the outside. The skill of this guys was amazing! He flowed the weld into place beautifully and filled the gap so that it is hard to find it now that I've done a rough polish.

·
boomerang opeler
5,636 Posts
jordan if you have a mig welder you can get aluminium wire for it and use argon gas and it will weld ok , lots of wire speed though as you need to feed it to keep it happy

1 - 14 of 14 Posts