Opel GT Forum banner

Are you interested in a solid brass oil pump priming tool?

• Yes, absolutely, I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

Votes: 6 37.5%
  • I don't know, It sounds good, I might buy one, who knows?

Votes: 7 43.8%
  • I would never use one so I'd never buy one.

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • You're a complete idiot. Why would anyone want one of those?

Votes: 1 6.3%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Über Genius
8,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Based on the "Specialty Tools" thread that's been active lately, I am proposing a custom tool for the masses.

I would like to know if there's interest in some brass oil priming rods.

If there's enough interest I will make some. If there isn't, I won't.

This isn't a group buy or anything so the interest isn't a contract, nor am I contracted to make them. If I make them I will offer them for purchase. I figure $20 including shipping should be about right.

I'll make it into a poll.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Based on the "Specialty Tools" thread that's been active lately, I am proposing a custom tool for the masses.

I would like to know if there's interest in some brass oil priming rods.

If there's enough interest I will make some. If there isn't, I won't.

This isn't a group buy or anything so the interest isn't a contract, nor am I contracted to make them. If I make them I will offer them for purchase. I figure $20 including shipping should be about right.

I'll make it into a poll.
Dumb question time. Couldn't one use an old distributor shaft and be taking a chance that the tang is worn? Don't get me wrong I'll be in, just curious. What would you make as the minimum that would have to be made? Thanks, Jarrell

·
Über Genius
8,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dumb question time. Couldn't one use an old distributor shaft and be taking a chance that the tang is worn? Don't get me wrong I'll be in, just curious. What would you make as the minimum that would have to be made? Thanks, Jarrell
Yes, you can use an old distributor shaft, after you've torn apart the distributor and removed the drive gear. I'm not suggesting these are needed but more that they would be good to have.

As for a minimum, I haven't given it thought yet.

Reactions: dpre and soybean

·
No....its not a Buick....
1,537 Posts
Just get a long screwdriver, cut/break the handle off, grind it to fit in the groove. Voila!

Reactions: dpre

·
Über Genius
8,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know I’ll need one eventually. Anyone who rebuilds a CIH needs one. Will it have the other end cut fit in a drill or be round?
One end would fit the oil pump and the other end would be round. The entire shaft would, otherwise, be round.
I would turn them down to fit a 3/8 drill if needed.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I have the raw material to make one. I would buy one just so I don't have to make it. I have this overwhelming urge to pick the last option in the poll though.:haha:

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Sounds like a great idea
I would take you up on one
Could you add to the poll ( I would buy one if you show me how I would use one):yup:
Seriously I have no idea
But my time will be coming soon where I'll need one for sure

·
Registered
690 Posts
Sounds like a great idea
I would take you up on one
Could you add to the poll ( I would buy one if you show me how I would use one):yup:
Seriously I have no idea
But my time will be coming soon where I'll need one for sure
You put it in where the distributor normally is and pump up the oil pressure before you start your engine for the first time after a rebuild.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Thank you,
So if i pull the oil pump cover to replace the gasket or replace the cover all together does this have to happen to reprime the pump?

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I'm with you there,
But I will need to remove my pump cover here soon as it has a small leak and needs a new gasket.
So is this the same procedure to reprime the oil pump?
Or am I missing something here

·
Living in the past
2,281 Posts
Primer Rods

Thank you,
So if i pull the oil pump cover to replace the gasket or replace the cover all together does this have to happen to reprime the pump?
Any time the oil pump is empty it is best to coat the gears with moly grease (not pack them, coat them)before you re-assemble and prime the engine before re-starting it. While I used an old sawed off screw driver for this purpose (I'm old school:haha:) a brass or bronze primer shaft is also very nice and both are non-magnetic. If given the chance to aquire one, I have spent money on worst things in my time so............ a specific purpose tool is a welcome addition to your tool box, just don't beat on it with a hammer and use it as a drift. One of the secrets I always did was to take the relief spring plug out of the side of the front cover, remove the spring and smack the ball with a brass drift to set it into the the relief port in the cover (another special tool if you are into tools:haha:)

·
Detritus Maximus
2,204 Posts
Although I've used the screwdriver method in the past, it is not that stable and wobbles. If it contacts the aluminum down near the pump drive, you might end up with aluminum bits floating around.

However, a rod to use with a gutted old distributor would be handy.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
I just responded "Probably". The only reason it wasn't "Absolutely" was my feeling that I'l never get the Bonneville bike done and get back to the GT! :sigh::sigh::sigh:

Doug

·
Über Genius
8,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It looks like I will make some.

I just needed to find stuff to do with the materials I have. I'm bored and it's cold outside.

·
Opeler
2,995 Posts
Don't forget to enclose instructions with your kit:
:yup: Drill must spin at a minimum of 500 RPM and must be engaged in the pump shaft and must be turning clockwise.

·
Opeler
2,995 Posts
One end would fit the oil pump and the other end would be round. The entire shaft would, otherwise, be round.
I would turn them down to fit a 3/8 drill if needed.
:thinking: Don't even know if I still have a 1/2" drill motor that works.
My old 1/2" USA Craftsman electric drill quit working years ago.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts